Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2018, 05:19 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bring these

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Zooms: DA 16-85 and 55-300 PLM
Primes: DA limiteds; 21,
and either one of these (I'd go with 40).

35 macro and 40

08-20-2018, 05:31 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
letting photography prevent someone from seeing those cities would be a terrible waste
Yes! Leave the camera home.
08-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #33
Pentaxian

The mentions of Flickr had me thinking, here is a link to pictures taken on St.Lawrence River Cruise, you decide what lens you want for that.

Search: St.Lawrence river cruise | Flickr
08-21-2018, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
The mentions of Flickr had me thinking, here is a link to pictures taken on St.Lawrence River Cruise, you decide what lens you want for that.
Good advice. FlickR is always full of surprises.

08-21-2018, 05:34 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Good advice. FlickR is always full of surprises.
I like fumblr
08-21-2018, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

I would take the 16-85 for the cities and the 55-300 for the boat to be able to pictures of anything on the shore. Be ready to shoot when you arrived at Quebec City, some outstanding pictures of it can be taken from the river, particularly if you're lucky enough to arrived there at sunset.
08-22-2018, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank You all for your very helpful responses and especially to our Canadian Pentaxians who have given me much insight on the three cities we will be visiting. The information everyone provided was exactly what I was hoping to get. Some specifics on the trip.
The trip will be September 30 through October 6th. We will be traveling by motor coach from Delaware to Montreal where the trip will begin. I've been to Montreal and Quebec City about 45 years ago so things may have changed and I do remember both were great places to visit but I do not recall specific details from the last trip.
My photography on this trip will be overall memories of the trip including cityscapes, scenery and anything nature that may come along. If the leaves are changing by then I will also be photographing the fall colors.
My lens choices for the trip have been narrowed down to the two zooms: DA 16-85 and 55-300 PLM and the SMC DA 21 Limited. Possibly I will add the SMC DA 35 Limited for its compact size, relative fast aperture and in case macro opportunities come up or the HD DA 40.
This should be a great trip and I am looking forward to it.

08-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sounds like a plan

have fun
08-22-2018, 05:38 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been to Montreal and Quebec City about 45 years ago so things may have changed
1973? My first trip to Montreal was in 1987, so I don't have personal experience of what it was like when you went, but I promise you it will be much different. I won't spoil it for you by giving you a list of things to see, but all three cities are different from each other and all three cities are worth the trip. My favourite is Montreal, but that's probably because it is impossible to find a bad meal there.
08-23-2018, 01:11 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Thank You all for your very helpful responses and especially to our Canadian Pentaxians who have given me much insight on the three cities we will be visiting. The information everyone provided was exactly what I was hoping to get. Some specifics on the trip.
The trip will be September 30 through October 6th. We will be traveling by motor coach from Delaware to Montreal where the trip will begin. I've been to Montreal and Quebec City about 45 years ago so things may have changed and I do remember both were great places to visit but I do not recall specific details from the last trip.
My photography on this trip will be overall memories of the trip including cityscapes, scenery and anything nature that may come along. If the leaves are changing by then I will also be photographing the fall colors.
My lens choices for the trip have been narrowed down to the two zooms: DA 16-85 and 55-300 PLM and the SMC DA 21 Limited. Possibly I will add the SMC DA 35 Limited for its compact size, relative fast aperture and in case macro opportunities come up or the HD DA 40.
This should be a great trip and I am looking forward to it.
Enjoy your trip, the fall colours should be good at that time of year,remember a warm jacket too!
Don’t miss Quebec’s fall colours: September is best for viewing an explosion of colour in the countryside | National Post
08-23-2018, 02:08 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Have a great trip and post some of the resulting pictures here.

DA 16-85 WR,show us what it can do. - Page 57 - PentaxForums.com
08-23-2018, 05:21 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
1973? My first trip to Montreal was in 1987, so I don't have personal experience of what it was like when you went, but I promise you it will be much different. I won't spoil it for you by giving you a list of things to see, but all three cities are different from each other and all three cities are worth the trip. My favourite is Montreal, but that's probably because it is impossible to find a bad meal there.
Oops, it looks like my math was a little off when I said 45 years ago. I went in 1976 and one clear memory of the date was going to a Montreal Expos game in the olympic stadium after the 1976 olympics ended and it became their home stadium. What I am really hoping to see is some of the beautiful old architecture in both Montreal and Quebec City. Back then I was a few years after college graduation and it was a delayed graduation present after I got my first real job, this time it is a post retirement present. I did not have much in the way of photographic equipment back then. This time, I am a lot better prepared.
08-23-2018, 06:30 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Oops, it looks like my math was a little off when I said 45 years ago. I went in 1976 and one clear memory of the date was going to a Montreal Expos game in the olympic stadium after the 1976 olympics ended and it became their home stadium. What I am really hoping to see is some of the beautiful old architecture in both Montreal and Quebec City. Back then I was a few years after college graduation and it was a delayed graduation present after I got my first real job, this time it is a post retirement present. I did not have much in the way of photographic equipment back then. This time, I am a lot better prepared.
Well, one thing I can assure you is that this time you will not see the Expos in the olympic stadium (or anywhere!).
08-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I've been to Montreal and Quebec City about 45 years ago so things may have changed
A lot of things have changed! All three cities have improved their appearance. I'd venture to say that because of the celebrations for its 400th birthday, Quebec city has probably improved most, but that's a judgment call.

My favourite is Montreal, but that's probably because it is impossible to find a bad meal there
I agree about this, but don't dismiss Quebec. There's currently a great food vibe in the city, and Canada's "best new restaurant" this year is in QC (Battuto, you have to book a few months in advance