Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Tooks. Still waiting for Sigma's reply to my email. Hoping for a miracle!

Cheers,
Aditya

09-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tooks Quote
Hi, yes, it does indeed say that on the Sigma website, but I'm afraid the information needs to be taken with a pinch of salt and is incorrect.

The retailer I got my lens from in the UK was bundling the Sigma 2x APO with it, and so I was very surprised that it didn't work. They have raised it with Sigma and are awaiting a reply.

I think the information on the website only applies to cameras that are not Pentax. The 70-200 and 50-150 are the first lenses Sigma have released for Pentax that have the HSM. All Pentax Sigma converters prior to this didn't have any HSM contacts as there weren't any lenses in Pentax fit available to use them.

I don't know if the Tamron 2x will work, as I don't know if it has the HSM/Power Zoom contacts. If it has them, then it should work, but you'd be best trying it in a shop first!

The Kenko 2x DG MC7 converter does not work, as unlike the 1.5x version, it does not have the contacts that mate with the HSM contacts on the lens.

I understand Sigma are issuing a revised 2x converter later this year/early next, but as of now, none of them will work, not even in manual mode either on my K10d or K20d.

So, for now, it appears that only the Kenko 1.5x DG and Tamron 1.4x are guaranteed to work, but any other converter with HSM/Power Zoom contacts should work, not that I know of any.

The information is not wrong on their website. The 70-200 DG (old one) has a screw type and therefore works with the converter. The new HSM types does not have the screw to drive the focus. I contacted Sigma and they said nothing on their list for the near future but expect the converter to be updated with the contact possibly in the fall is what I would guess. They did not want to commit to anything.

In the meantime I managed to find a used Kenko 1.5x Pz-AF for $100 which will work. Some people on the web said that the Kenko 1.5 is made by Tamron. Could not confirm that but for what I have seen it does produce some nice images. I will have it next week to try and see if results are good with my Sigma 70-200 HSM.
09-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #18

Yes, sorry for any confusion, the old non HSM 70-200 DG works with the current converter, but the new 70-200 HSM does not work with the converter.

In the UK, one dealer was bundling the Sigma APO 2x converter with the 70-200 HSM which was a deal put together by Sigma UK to combat the Tamron 70-200 which is considerably cheaper.

Seems to have backfired a bit though as no current Sigma Pentax fit converter works with the 70-200 HSM lens...
09-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tooks Quote
Yes, sorry for any confusion, the old non HSM 70-200 DG works with the current converter, but the new 70-200 HSM does not work with the converter.

In the UK, one dealer was bundling the Sigma APO 2x converter with the 70-200 HSM which was a deal put together by Sigma UK to combat the Tamron 70-200 which is considerably cheaper.

Seems to have backfired a bit though as no current Sigma Pentax fit converter works with the 70-200 HSM lens...
Sigma has released the Sony 1.4 TC HSM with, I am guessing, the Pentax model to be next, maybe in a few months.

The 1.5x Kenko and Tamron 1.4 are the only 2 TCs that I have been told to work with Pentax SDM/HSM. I have seen a Promaster 1.5 that appears to have the SDM pins inside but I do not know if IQ is any good or if it does work.

I am wait for delivery of a Kenko. I'll have to test to see if it has decent IQ.

09-27-2008, 03:57 AM   #20

I already have the Kenko 1.5x and I think the image quality is still pretty good in combination with the 70-200 HSM II. I've posted a couple of example images elsewhere on this forum.

I'm ordering another Kenko 1.5x shortly for another body and lens combo I use, and I'm going to see what happens when 'stacking' two together with the 70-200.

I'll be interested to hear/see what you think of the Kenko too.
09-27-2008, 05:17 AM   #21

Ordered my 70-200 from Adorama and expecting delivery Oct. 2! Yay! Hopefully i'll have time to hit the racetrack and canyons and see how this baby performs!
09-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Images

Hi all. Sorry I haven't posted any images since I got this lens, I ended up with a hell of a cold after my return from Boston and NY (which seems to always happen when I return from vacation). A friend asked me to come out and take some shots of her fashion show last night (she owns a clothing store), so I thought this would be a good first opportunity to use this lens. I'll preface these shots by stating that I rarely shoot indoors, I much prefer shooting wildlife and sports, and it is really my first time with a flash to any great extent.... but what the heck. Thought I'd give it a shot. Venue was VERY dark. Focus was tough!

Only PP is exposure adjustments and Noise removal.

Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM II

09-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

love the first one brilliant colours and focus(#1 my fav) you sir have a good copy

cheers

Last edited by cupic; 10-30-2009 at 01:41 AM.
10-30-2009, 01:03 AM   #24
Inactive Account

It's been over a year since the last reply here.
Has Sigma brought out a compatible 2x TC yet? I just posted asking if there was a Pentax one for the 70-200 F2.8 II
10-30-2009, 01:18 AM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short answer is no. Not for Pentax.
I would personally avoid all SDM-capable TCs with the Sigma 70-200 until Sigma comes up with a compatible one themselves... other SDM TCs work but not well - quite frustrating.