Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM II + Tamron 1.4X

I returned from a trip to NY on Tuesday where I had picked up the new Sigma, and thought I'd just let the group know that HSM/Autofocus DOES work on a K20D WITH a Tamron 1.4 teleconverter attached. Though in low light it hunts like crazy, good light seems pretty good... Though I've only really done a couple of quick test shots (Will try to take some good shots on the weekend and post).

A couple of quick comments on the lens and purchase.

1) This lens seems fricken HEAVY! I haven't actually weighed it but my DA*300 seems much lighter.

2) Feels a bit awkward to turn the zoom (handheld) the way the tripod mount is positioned, at least the way I hold the lens... but as I mentioned it is heavy and probably should be on a tripod or minimally a monopod anyways.

3) I went into B&H Photo on Sunday (my first time there!!) to try to purchase this lens, and I was told by the sales person that they have it in stock, but only at the warehouse and for web sales only. I asked him if he could bring it in for Monday and he said no. So dejected, I walked back to my hotel and along the way stumbled upon a smaller store called Tri State Photo. I went in and enquired at the availability of the lens and was told that they didn't have it there, but COULD have it for me on Monday. So I picked it up Monday as promised. The sales person there's name was Steve, and he was really helpful! A good experience there!

Mark

09-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re tripod collar - if hand holding, just turn it around about 180° so the mount is facing up and to the left, then it's out of the way. Or take it off and turn it around the other way so the mount is pointing towards you.

Yes it's heavy, but not too bad once you've used it a bit.
09-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've seen Tri-State advertised in magazines, but wasn't sure if they were reputable or not.
09-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Darth Ramirez Quote
.. Though I've only really done a couple of quick test shots (Will try to take some good shots on the weekend and post).

Mark
Darth:

I'm certainly looking forward to your results. Don't fail to post them.

CN

09-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

lucky you
09-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I've seen Tri-State advertised in magazines, but wasn't sure if they were reputable or not.
They have been around for a long, long time. I too have always wondered if they were reputable.

Steve
09-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote

I have purchased several lenses and a K10D from Tri-State and I was totally pleased with the transactions. Customer service was great too. The K10D had a defective sensor. I returned it and it was replaced with no trouble at all.

09-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Good to know.
09-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for let us know about the TC. I was also told the Kenko also works. I bought the lens 2 weeks ago and really enjoy it, great images. I go mine at Don's photo on 156th in the west end. I placed the order in August and pick it up the week of its release.

As for the TC, I read that Pentax is coming out with a 1.4x SDM compatible in the Spring so I may wait until then. Maybe Sigma might realize the need to have their TC compatible with their HSM lenses and produce one soon.
09-21-2008, 12:07 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
As for the TC, I read that Pentax is coming out with a 1.4x SDM compatible in the Spring so I may wait until then. Maybe Sigma might realize the need to have their TC compatible with their HSM lenses and produce one soon.
What does that mean? The current Sigma TCs don't permit HSM while used on Sigma lenses?! I'm in a bit of dilemma. I'm receiving my new (used) K 10D tomorrow and am looking at buying the new Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM II + 2X TC ASAP. I'm not sure which 2X to buy- Sigma or Tamron. My funds are a bit tight right now so the Tamron, being half the price of the Sigma, is appealing, but I will not purchase it if the Tamron doesn't support the 70-200's HSM. From what Denis says, it seems like the Sigma also doesn't do so! Need a bit clarification here

1. Do Tamron TCs in any way cripple the functioning of Sigma HSM lenses on a K 10D body?

2. Do the Sigma TCs support HSM?

3. In case the answers to both the above questions is "yes", is the Sigma's IQ significantly better enough to justify it being twice the price of the Tamron?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Aditya
09-21-2008, 01:46 AM   #11

To my knowledge, the only teleconverters that will work with the Pentax fit Sigma 70-200 HSMII are the Tamron 1.4x and the Kenko 1.5x DG. Both of those converters have additional contacts that connect to the HSM contacts on the lens, and AF is retained.

So, to try and answer your questions;

1. Yes

2. No!

3. Doesn't matter, as the Sigma's won't work anyway and therefore you have no choice.

I have the 70-200 HSMII and the Kenko 1.5x DG teleconverter, and I'm very pleased with the quality of the pictures. Here's one I posted on another thread;

The sigma converter probably should be better, but until they make one in Pentax fit that works with the Sigma HSM lenses, we won't know.
09-21-2008, 02:58 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Tooks Quote
To my knowledge, the only teleconverters that will work with the Pentax fit Sigma 70-200 HSMII are the Tamron 1.4x and the Kenko 1.5x DG. Both of those converters have additional contacts that connect to the HSM contacts on the lens, and AF is retained.

So, to try and answer your questions;

1. Yes

2. No!

3. Doesn't matter, as the Sigma's won't work anyway and therefore you have no choice.

I have the 70-200 HSMII and the Kenko 1.5x DG teleconverter, and I'm very pleased with the quality of the pictures. Here's one I posted on another thread;

The sigma converter probably should be better, but until they make one in Pentax fit that works with the Sigma HSM lenses, we won't know.
Dear Tooks,

This is strange. I called up Sigma's India distributor and the guy there says that the lens HSM works with the Sigma TC! To be doubly sure I've sent off a mail to Sigma and am awaiting their response.

Btw, he added that although he had Canikon versions in immediate stock, Pentax mount lenses will take at least 30 working days to arrive
09-21-2008, 03:49 AM   #13

Btw, Tooks, if the Tamron 1.4X allows HSM AF, doesn't that mean the Tamron 2X also allows it?
09-21-2008, 04:41 AM   #14

The Sigma guys haven't replied yet, but this is what I found on the Sigma website:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_tele.asp

Scroll down to "PENTAX AF"

Last edited by Aditya Panda; 09-21-2008 at 04:44 AM. Reason: typo
09-21-2008, 05:27 AM   #15

Hi, yes, it does indeed say that on the Sigma website, but I'm afraid the information needs to be taken with a pinch of salt and is incorrect.

The retailer I got my lens from in the UK was bundling the Sigma 2x APO with it, and so I was very surprised that it didn't work. They have raised it with Sigma and are awaiting a reply.

I think the information on the website only applies to cameras that are not Pentax. The 70-200 and 50-150 are the first lenses Sigma have released for Pentax that have the HSM. All Pentax Sigma converters prior to this didn't have any HSM contacts as there weren't any lenses in Pentax fit available to use them.

I don't know if the Tamron 2x will work, as I don't know if it has the HSM/Power Zoom contacts. If it has them, then it should work, but you'd be best trying it in a shop first!

The Kenko 2x DG MC7 converter does not work, as unlike the 1.5x version, it does not have the contacts that mate with the HSM contacts on the lens.

I understand Sigma are issuing a revised 2x converter later this year/early next, but as of now, none of them will work, not even in manual mode either on my K10d or K20d.

So, for now, it appears that only the Kenko 1.5x DG and Tamron 1.4x are guaranteed to work, but any other converter with HSM/Power Zoom contacts should work, not that I know of any.