Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
There's one here, DA* 16-50 vs DA 16-85 and DA 17-70. It's in french but I guess Google Translate could do a decent of translating it in english or whatever other language you want.
Thank you!

08-22-2018, 11:45 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My summary: they like them all. They had little or no sdm issues. They like the weight of the 17-70 and f4 constant aperture. They prefer the 16-85 for range and versatility and they say it isn't the best at everything but it is good at all things.

Looking at the details they haven't ever done an in depth 17-70 review. They liked it and the pictures held their own.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 08-22-2018 at 12:01 PM.
08-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My summary: they like them all. They had little or no sdm issues. They like the weight of the 17-70 and f4 constant aperture. They prefer the 16-85 for range and versatility and they say it isn't the best at everything but it is good at all things.

Looking at the details they haven't ever done an in depth 17-70 review. They liked it and the pictures held their own.
That's about it. Basically they're three different lenses each with their pros and cons. As it's often the case in photography, the choice between them is a matter of which compromises one is ready to make.
09-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To end this story, the lens has come back today from repair. It now works perfectly fine. The repair bill says that the SDM and the "Lens circuit board A" were replaced. I hope it will now last for a few years!

09-11-2018, 01:27 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To end this story, the lens has come back today from repair. It now works perfectly fine. The repair bill says that the SDM and the "Lens circuit board A" were replaced. I hope it will now last for a few years!
That's great! It makes sense that it had a faulty circuit board. I hope you get many years out of it, I've had mine for about 6 years and, knock on wood, it's been problem free.
09-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Did precision charge more than the price they quoted on their website? I checked their website and they quote a flat $212 to repair the DA 17-70. I would imagine mine would need the same repair as yours. On mine the SDM is dead. If the repair is $212, I would go ahead and repair mine but if the cost runs up much higher, then it remains a paperweight.
I have seen some responses here regarding comparison of the 17-70 to the 16-85. I have not done a comparison head to head on my K-3 but my overall feeling having used both for years is: The 17-70 may be better at pseudo macro and seems to be able to get closer than the 16-85 and the constant f4.0 is an advantage. Aside from that the 16-85 is better in every other respect. Ultimately since I bought both of them I would like to have both of them available and working.
Hopefully for you and I, and everyone else who has this repair done, we get a better SDM motor installed.

---------- Post added 09-12-18 at 09:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

The German website photo zone.de (now optical limits) tested with the 17-70 and the 16-85 and liked both of them. It was not, however, a head to head comparison. As far as I have seen, and my own experience the optical performance of both is very good. My subjective impression is that the 16-85 is slightly sharper, especially 50mm and up, but both were really good.

Last edited by jddwoods; 09-12-2018 at 06:10 AM.
09-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Did precision charge more than the price they quoted on their website? I checked their website and they quote a flat $212 to repair the DA 17-70. I would imagine mine would need the same repair as yours. On mine the SDM is dead. If the repair is $212, I would go ahead and repair mine but if the cost runs up much higher, then it remains a paperweight.
I'm in Canada, so I didn't send them to Precison but to Sun Camera which is the service center for Pentax in Canada. The repair was done under warranty... So, I can't tell how it would have cost or if the quote was respected.

The German website photo zone.de (now optical limits) tested with the 17-70 and the 16-85 and liked both of them. It was not, however, a head to head comparison. As far as I have seen, and my own experience the optical performance of both is very good. My subjective impression is that the 16-85 is slightly sharper, especially 50mm and up, but both were really good.
At normal market price, the 16-85 should be the best choice since both lenses are fairly close in price. In fact, I spotted the deal on the 17-70 (300 $CDN ~ 225$US) when looking for the 16-85. At this price, the DA 17-70, brand new and covered by warranty was a much better deal! BTW, it's still available at this price at MacBain Camera...

---------- Post added 09-12-18 at 10:56 AM ----------

The German website photo zone.de (now optical limits) tested with the 17-70 and the 16-85 and liked both of them.
Looking more closely at the Photozone results, I would even dare to say that both are amongst the best zooms of this kind, no matter the manufacturer or system... Canon, Nikon 16-85 both look slightly inferior as is the Sigma 17-70, Sony has a Zeiss 16-80 that looks excellent but in the dead A-mount and costing 1000$, Fuji actually has nothing to match but a 16-80 is annouced. Don't know how good it will be, but certainly be quite expensive as anything Fuji...

So, for an APS-C shooter, these two lenses makes Pentax a very good option (although we aleready knew that!).

09-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #23
Pentaxian

In fact, I spotted the deal on the 17-70 (300 $CDN ~ 225$US) when looking for the 16-85. At this price, the DA 17-70, brand new and covered by warranty was a much better deal! BTW, it's still available at this price at MacBain Camera...
Wow, you got a really good deal on it. Currently the DA 17-70 at B&H is $496 USD and is available as a special order. By the way I will be visiting Quebec City in the first week in October as part of a tour of three Canadian cities, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City, so you might just see me out there photographing the sights with my K-3, but no 17-70.. I will be bringing the 16-85 and also packing the 21 and 40 limiteds in case I want to walk around light.
Update: I took a look at MacBain website. They do have the 17-70 listed as $299 CDN. They do ship to the US but I cannot tell what other taxes and fees there may be. Thanks for this info. I will look into new purchase vs. fixing mine.

Last edited by jddwoods; 09-12-2018 at 11:05 AM.
09-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

17-70 purchased refurbished over 5 years ago and still going strong. It's my step-niece's only lens.
06-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm bringing back this thread to give some news about the lens, in case someone else has the same problem. The "wrong focal length reported" problem is back. Any shots taken below 24mm is reported as something else on the camera LCD. As before, this wreak havoc with IBIS and AF. So, I will send back the lens for repair since it's still covered by warranty. Not funny...
06-06-2019, 02:06 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeo, do as you're entitled, Carl!

My 17-70 is fine.

06-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #27

Hi,

Sorry to hear that the problem has returned, didn't some of the early Sigma 17-70 Contemporary have a similar issue, that I think was solved by an update to the lens software. Wonder if the two might be related or similar issues.

Andrew
06-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by andyk17 Quote
Hi,

Sorry to hear that the problem has returned, didn't some of the early Sigma 17-70 Contemporary have a similar issue, that I think was solved by an update to the lens software. Wonder if the two might be related or similar issues.

Andrew
Yes, it could be a software problem and certainly looks like it. I will let you know when the lens is back.
07-15-2019, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just to complete the story in case someone get this same problem, the lens is back from repair. The repair ticket said that the "brush assembly" was replaced. No matter what it means, hopefully it will solve the problem once and for all.

Last edited by CarlJF; 07-18-2019 at 04:23 PM.