Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Whats the deal with Pentax-F 135mm 2.8

Ive had my copy of the Pentax-F 135mm 2.8 for well over 7 years.
Acquired it for $100 with 4 other F series lenses and a beat up old SF10 if I remember correctly.
I need to replace it as it was pretty beat and scratched up then , has a broken front ring , and cracked barrel/window with missing plastic.
Today I decided that I may as well upgrade it as its a fantastic performer , and I also simply want second copy , but a nicer copy.
Started looking around today on Ebay only to find they are not only as Rare as Hens Teeth , but also quite expensive ?
Is this just a dry spell ? Or are they really that rare ?
I was shocked to see this as I never searched before for one.

08-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never seen one in the wild. Low original sales numbers?
08-22-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by conniption Quote
I've never seen one in the wild. Low original sales numbers?
Great ! I just assumed they were as common as the Pentax-F 50mm 1.7 and readily available everywhere for less than $100 in nice shape. This isn't good news at all.
08-22-2018, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think the F was quickly replaced by the FA. Same optics AFAIK.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-22-2018, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #5

Yes, they seem to be in the $300 to $400 range, and there aren't many for sale. A few months ago someone from Europe was trying to sell one on the Forum.
I found mine in a local camera shop for $200 Canadian, quite a good deal. It looked like it had never been used.
08-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the F was quickly replaced by the FA. Same optics AFAIK.
That's what everyone says , but after acquiring a FA I quickly sold it and never looked back. Something was obviously different on mine.

---------- Post added 08-22-18 at 22:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Qman Quote
Yes, they seem to be in the $300 to $400 range, and there aren't many for sale. A few months ago someone from Europe was trying to sell one on the Forum.
I found mine in a local camera shop for $200 Canadian, quite a good deal. It looked like it had never been used.
It seems there has only been two on Ebay in a year. That's all I could find anyway.
About 1.5 years ago there was one on Goodwill Auctions. I bid what I thought was very high on it and it sold for over $200 the last three seconds.....I kept looking at the auction and wondered why the lens lot went sky high....??? Now I know why.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 08-22-2018 at 10:41 PM.
08-22-2018, 10:48 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
That's what everyone says , but after acquiring a FA I quickly sold it and never looked back. Something was obviously different on mine.
Sample variation, most likely.

Very dangerous for people to criticize a lens - and stick to their guns when others disagree - when their attitude comes from the single copy they owned.

I have a 35-70 that I think is an atrocious lens, but I'm happy to believe others that say theirs is okay.

08-22-2018, 11:17 PM   #8
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like mine

It was $400 aud about 5 yrs ago

Dave
08-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

FA 135/2,8 and F135/2,8 should be optically the same. Nowadays there are only a few of them and are pricey ... but there is no other AF lens like this (small, light, IF, 52mm filter, lens hood, fast AF)
08-23-2018, 12:05 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sample variation, most likely.

Very dangerous for people to criticize a lens - and stick to their guns when others disagree - when their attitude comes from the single copy they owned.

I have a 35-70 that I think is an atrocious lens, but I'm happy to believe others that say theirs is okay.
Yes, I have two copies of the (non SMC) F 28-80 f/3.5-4.5. One is a bit of a dog, especially wide open... The other, whilst not the most impressive lens in its class, is actually rather good. Both look identical...
08-23-2018, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Great ! I just assumed they were as common as the Pentax-F 50mm 1.7 and readily available everywhere for less than $100 in nice shape. This isn't good news at all.
I love mine but I have two ......

Would you like one? PS it is superb.
08-23-2018, 06:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I love mine but I have two ......

Would you like one? PS it is superb.
Why YES of course......holding my breath wondering what your asking for it ?
A PM would be very appreciated. Thanks.
08-23-2018, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Yesterday, Shutterbug had this article on the 10 best vintage lenses for DSLR.
The 10 Best Vintage SLR Lenses to Use on DSLRs | Shutterbug

Hence the high value of the Takamura 85 and 135 lenses.
08-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Getting rid of my FA135 before the K-1 was released remains one of my biggest seller's regrets.
I can't imagine the F series variant being any better.
08-23-2018, 06:49 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Ive had my copy of the Pentax-F 135mm 2.8 for well over 7 years.
Acquired it for $100 with 4 other F series lenses and a beat up old SF10 if I remember correctly.
I need to replace it as it was pretty beat and scratched up then , has a broken front ring , and cracked barrel/window with missing plastic.
Today I decided that I may as well upgrade it as its a fantastic performer , and I also simply want second copy , but a nicer copy.
Started looking around today on Ebay only to find they are not only as Rare as Hens Teeth , but also quite expensive ?
Is this just a dry spell ? Or are they really that rare ?
I was shocked to see this as I never searched before for one.
Well now you know what a great deal you got for that lot, even though the lens is quite beat up.

After you buy a nicer copy I might want to know what you are asking for the old beat up one, it might be my way of finally getting my hands on one...