Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

DFA*50 vs Sigma 35 Art?

Anyone tested both lenses with the K-1 and can you tell about image quality differences? Full resolution (or crops of it) comparison photos would be nice. I already know about Sigma 50 Art and DFA*50 comparison shots, but 35 Art might be different.

08-24-2018, 01:49 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Sigma has 35mm focal length, and the Pentax has 50mm focal length, it's not comparable.
08-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
These two are quite different focal lengths making a comparison not readily available..

Why was the comparison against the 50 Art not enough? Seriously curious!
08-24-2018, 02:14 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

I think the 50 makes a better boat anchor, though not by much.

08-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The Sigma has 35mm focal length, and the Pentax has 50mm focal length, it's not comparable.
They are perhaps comparable on a price per pound basis. Ideally one might desire both in one's kit, though one might not be able to have both in the bag at the same time due to stress on the stitching and one's shoulder.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pikselisiirto Quote
35 Art might be different
Yep it's different. Sorry for being sarcastic, particularly since you are a new member. The point being made by me and the other users above is that comparisons between dissimilar focal lengths are not useful. That being said, every once in awhile someone will post something like:
QuoteQuote:
I anticipate getting $1500 back from my taxes and and want to buy a high quality prime lens. Of the Pentax D FA 50/1.4, Pentax-FA 31/1.8, and Sigma 35/1.4 Art which is the best use of my money?
To such a request, there might be a number of responses suggesting things like buy the Sigma and a nice flash and be happy.

Very seldom do we get a request for direct comparison of lenses that have little in common beyond mount, weight, and maximum aperture.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-24-2018 at 04:03 PM.
08-24-2018, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They are perhaps comparable on a price per pound basis.
$597 per lb for the D FA 50/1.4
$613 per lb for the Sigma 35/1.4

Steve
08-24-2018, 06:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The point being made by me and the other users above is that comparisons between dissimilar focal lengths are not useful.
There is one point of comparison that is useful: "Will I use it?"

I own the Sigma 35mm Art and like it a lot optically. However, it gets little use because of its heft. I certainly don't pack it if I'm already carrying the DFA* 70-200 or DFA 15-30. That gives me pause when contemplating buying the DFA* 50. (However, I may still buy it, perhaps even this weekend with the 15% off sale in Australia. Thinking ...)

08-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
There is one point of comparison that is useful: "Will I use it?"
...and that is a very good question. If I had a K-1 and my current quiver of FF lenses along with a walkaround zoom, I am not sure I would spring for either of the lenses in question. I would have to have a "point of pain" at one of the two focal lengths that was worth at least $900 USD. FWIW, that is a LOT of pain in my book.

Steve
08-24-2018, 11:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I understand the question of the OP as: the Sigma 35/1.4 is known for its excellent IO, even wide open. Does the Fat Fifty‘s IQ match this level ... or even better it?

This way the comparison makes sense. If you have several knives serving different purposes you can still ask: which one is the sharpest?

I‘m actually curious to hear some opinions, too. So far I‘ve learned that both make an first class door stopper (and being a Sigma owner I knew that already ...).
08-25-2018, 02:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Anyone tested both lenses with the K-1 and can you tell about image quality differences? Full resolution (or crops of it) comparison photos would be nice. I already know about Sigma 50 Art and DFA*50 comparison shots, but 35 Art might be different.
Focus adjustment for Pentax works. For Sigma it did not work for me.
Feature wise Pentax is superior: AF, sealing, Pentax branding...
50 is not 35 both lenses are extremely sharp, but only Pentax allowed f/1.4 sharp focus for me.
08-25-2018, 03:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have the DFA 50mm but I have the Sigma 35 Art. I don't think there is so much sense in comparing those two, both of them are really really sharp and very good optically. it all comes down to what focal do you need, 35 or 50.

The AF of 35 is indeed a bit inconsistent, though. I use contrast AF in liveview in order to mitigate it.
08-25-2018, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Well, I don’t own any of these lenses. One(Sandy) of us at forums owns sigma 35 and now dfa*50 he was super happy with 35, compared to any 35. But the 50 from pentax made him think that 35 art will go when pentax 35 will appear. Pentax 50 is way above anything else so far. That is much. I have FA 35, which is not amazing(also it is old). But it is small and good for what it is. That DA35 is supposed to be at same level. Thise are budget models. But you must be aware of this already.
08-25-2018, 03:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

repaap has a good memory.

The Sigma 35/1.4 Art is a sharp, well corrected modern lens, but I prefer the overall rendering (and compactness) of my FA31 despite its deficiencies when pixel peeping. I also struggle a little with its autofocus.

The DFA*50 is so good I am confident the 35 and 85 will kick the pants off the current alternatives. Both my Sigma Art and FA*85 will be on the chopping block.
08-25-2018, 04:27 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Ok, confession time, I bought The Fatty today . I couldnīt resist.. it was on sale locally. 1100 Euros.. geez. I gotta buy some shoes for wifey to keep her happy.. . Some added cost there..

Still early hours with it, but damn.. this thing is Sharp @1.4 on! It feels heavy yes but it just feels so right at home connected with K-1 . I donīt know what and how Pentax did it but somehow they managed to create edge to edge sharpness with lots character in background blurrrr . Iīm having some issues with AF though.. fine tune +4 or 5 seems to work best for now but itīs not consistent . Maybe I was expecting to much.. need to take my time with this "issue" .

I was going to wait for Pentax to release The 35, but it just takes ages.. and fifty seems to fit me fine. Sigma 35 is a great lens also, but no wr and the lack of character in images and those AF issues some people are having..
08-25-2018, 06:31 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pen-A Quote
Ok, confession time, I bought The Fatty today . I couldnīt resist.. it was on sale locally. 1100 Euros.. geez. I gotta buy some shoes for wifey to keep her happy.. . Some added cost there..

Still early hours with it, but damn.. this thing is Sharp @1.4 on! It feels heavy yes but it just feels so right at home connected with K-1 . I donīt know what and how Pentax did it but somehow they managed to create edge to edge sharpness with lots character in background blurrrr . Iīm having some issues with AF though.. fine tune +4 or 5 seems to work best for now but itīs not consistent . Maybe I was expecting to much.. need to take my time with this "issue" .

I was going to wait for Pentax to release The 35, but it just takes ages.. and fifty seems to fit me fine. Sigma 35 is a great lens also, but no wr and the lack of character in images and those AF issues some people are having..
Wowza! You can also send your camera and lens in to be calibrated btw, if you feel that fine tune won't 'cut it'. I could see you going there! Must say that I'm little envious of all of you getting that new fat fifty...(picking up my already heavy camera bag and half empty wallet and limping away...)

---------- Post added 08-25-18 at 16:31 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
repaap has a good memory.

The Sigma 35/1.4 Art is a sharp, well corrected modern lens, but I prefer the overall rendering (and compactness) of my FA31 despite its deficiencies when pixel peeping. I also struggle a little with its autofocus.

The DFA*50 is so good I am confident the 35 and 85 will kick the pants off the current alternatives. Both my Sigma Art and FA*85 will be on the chopping block.
Sorry to drag you in this but I thought that it went little like that