Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on the excellent bargain! I got the f*300mm for $730 (used) about a year ago and i thought that was a great deal. the f and fa 300mm's are excellent lenses. i've never had any complaints about the bokeh. i shot a lot of birds with this lens. many are here if interested:

Art by Michael Wolf - RedBubble

Enjoy your lens and post some pics!

09-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The * lenses were/are Pentax's premium line; second only to the limiteds.
I wouldn't say that the * lenses are 2nd to the limiteds. In what way would for example the current DA* be 2nd to the limiteds? Size probably, but not much more.

The * has been denoting maximum quality in Pentax lenses since the first (and only) M*, through A*, FA* and DA*, but often ending up with quite extreme and hefty (heavy) lens solutions.

The limiteds I believe is another way to present high quality lenses, but lenses that are a more balanced compromise between optical quality and size and with more emphasis on quality bokeh than on maximum speed. Good comparison is the FA77 or DA70 compared to the A* or FA*85's. The later are faster but heavier. Which bokeh is best could be argued for ever. But it is not so simple as if limiteds are better than stars or stars better than limiteds.
10-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #18
LSR

Original Poster
Sorry I haven't responded to this thread, been busy buying and returning things, dealing with crap contractors......seems everything we buy lately either doesn't work or has a problem (besides camera equipment and the great Dyson vacuum!).

Yes the store was Stan C Reade, it's a funny little shop with some very old stock and some very outdated prices on the old stock. The staff are friendly, and it must be a good place to work as most of the staff have been there a very long time.

I too went to their photo day this year because the flier said there would be a Pentax rep there, and of course it was disappointing to see that there wasn't one. Got some great pics with the DA* 50-135 that day of the Columbian dancers getting ready. I enjoyed the events they put on but the seminars weren't very interesting in my opinion. Nice to see a small local shop continue to host these events though.

Thanks for all the comments on here reaffirming my purchase. I spent a few hours getting to know the lens a couple weeks ago when a gaggle of Canada Geese landed in the park near my house, very impresses and it could have been better I'm sure if I would have taken the tripod along! The colours and IQ I'm seeing from it are just as good if not slightly better than the DA* 50-135.

Now If only I could find as good a deal on it's little brother the 200mm, and somehow talk Tokina into making it's 11-16mm F2.8 in Pentax mount then I'd be all set for glass forever!
10-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Superb optical quality. One of the only lenses I've ever regretted selling (my working style requires a tripod collar). Close focuses better than most teles making it a surprising flower lens--pseudomacro--and with multi-element close-up lens does quite passable macro work. Color rendition is as good as you are likely to find--way better than the Sigma 300/4 that I replaced it with. Also much better than the A*teles. Got my tripod collar but lost my image quality...duh, which way did he go Ralph?

10-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had posted this solution regarding the FA*300mm f4.5 and the tripod collar. The solution is contained in the following thread. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/32386-fa-300mm-...oods-well.html
Cheap and works great. The thread went unnoticed for some reason even though there are a lot of these lenses out there I think.
10-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Bastard, that's all i'm gonna say, bastard
10-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Bastard, that's all i'm gonna say, bastard
Was that directed my way???
10-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #23
LSR

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I had posted this solution regarding the FA*300mm f4.5 and the tripod collar. The solution is contained in the following thread. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/32386-fa-300mm-...oods-well.html
Cheap and works great. The thread went unnoticed for some reason even though there are a lot of these lenses out there I think.
Thanks for the link Peter, I will definitely keep it in mind if the need for a collar appears. So far my over sized ball head keeps things very firm, the thing is rated for something crazy like 40 lbs, and the use of a remote has resulted in no problems so far. Like I said though, if it changes then your link will be a valuable resource!

10-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #24
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by LSR Quote
Thanks for the link Peter, I will definitely keep it in mind if the need for a collar appears. So far my over sized ball head keeps things very firm, the thing is rated for something crazy like 40 lbs, and the use of a remote has resulted in no problems so far. Like I said though, if it changes then your link will be a valuable resource!
The reason for using a collar is so that you can mount the lens on the tripod and relieve the strain on the camera mount. If the lens is long and heavier than the camera, you should use a collar to be on the safe side.
10-22-2008, 12:13 AM   #25
axl
Veteran Member

Congrats on that purchase and the deal!!
and now, ENJOY
10-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Woah, what a great deal! I love stories like this. I love 'em even more when it's me as the recipient, though!
10-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Was that directed my way???

No, Bastard a sin "you lucky bastard" for stealing it at that price.
10-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Wow, an FA*300 f4.5 for $675 is a steal!! A wonderful lens that will serve you brilliantly for many years. Well spotted and congratulations!