Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #16
UMC

Photos: Gallery
Thank you very much for posting the pictures.

Regarding your lenses:

Albinar-ADG 75-300mm f5.6
Looking up in my archives I found that this lens exists in 4 variants:
  • Albinar-ADG 1:5.6 f=75-300mm (plain K-mount)
  • Albinar-ADG 1:5.6 f=75-300mm (KA-mount)
  • Albinar-ADG 1:5.6 f=75-300mm [KAR-mount = KA-mount with addtitional Ricoh pin]
  • Albinar-ADG 1:5.6 f=75-300mm [KR = K-mount with Ricoh pin]

Albinar was a brand being used by the US store chain Best Products Co., Inc. They sold lenses of a variety of OEMs under the "Albinar" and "Albinon" brand.

Until this evening I always thought that this lens was made by Samyang (see notes below), but then I realized it is designated as "Made in Japan". Comparing it with other lenses it does not look like being made by any of the "famous" OEM makers, like Cosina, Tokina, Sigma, Makinon, Sun, etc. The biggest similarity I can identify is - guess what - lenses made by Cima Kogaku. However, I have never disassembled any of these lenses to prove my guess with hard facts, but having stored pictures of almost 5000 K-mount lenses, I am quite convinced that I am right.

Sears Model 202.737020 80-200mm f4
Another one that existed in several variants:
  • Auto Zoom Multi Coated 1:4.0 f=80-200mm (K) Sears Model 202.737020
  • Auto Zoom Sears Multi Coated 1:4.0 f=80-200mm (K) Sears Model 202.737020

I guess, nothing needs to be said about Sears as a company. However, they re-badged cameras and lenses from a variety of producers. Most, if not all of their cameras actually were rebadged Ricoh cameras. The lenses came from different OEMs, with clear emphasis on early Samyang. Samyang started lens making in Koreas some time in the early 1970ies. What we know today as a serious maker of competitive lenses, started as a relatively inferior supplier of lenses for retail brands. Today you find dozens of Sears branded Samyang lenses on Ebay every day. Nevertheless, Sears had 3 variants of 80-200 f4 lenses made by Samyang and another one presumably made by Tokina. The "model 202"s were certainly made by Samyang.

08-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
Thank you very much for posting the pictures.

Regarding your lenses:

Albinar-ADG 75-300mm f5.6
Looking up in my archives I found that this lens exists in 4 variants:
  • Albinar-ADG 1:5.6 f=75-300mm (plain K-mount)
  • Albinar-ADG 1:5.6 f=75-300mm (KA-mount)
  • Albinar-ADG 1:5.6 f=75-300mm [KAR-mount = KA-mount with addtitional Ricoh pin]
  • Albinar-ADG 1:5.6 f=75-300mm [KR = K-mount with Ricoh pin]

Albinar was a brand being used by the US store chain Best Products Co., Inc. They sold lenses of a variety of OEMs under the "Albinar" and "Albinon" brand.

Until this evening I always thought that this lens was made by Samyang (see notes below), but then I realized it is designated as "Made in Japan". Comparing it with other lenses it does not look like being made by any of the "famous" OEM makers, like Cosina, Tokina, Sigma, Makinon, Sun, etc. The biggest similarity I can identify is - guess what - lenses made by Cima Kogaku. However, I have never disassembled any of these lenses to prove my guess with hard facts, but having stored pictures of almost 5000 K-mount lenses, I am quite convinced that I am right.

Sears Model 202.737020 80-200mm f4
Another one that existed in several variants:
  • Auto Zoom Multi Coated 1:4.0 f=80-200mm (K) Sears Model 202.737020
  • Auto Zoom Sears Multi Coated 1:4.0 f=80-200mm (K) Sears Model 202.737020

I guess, nothing needs to be said about Sears as a company. However, they re-badged cameras and lenses from a variety of producers. Most, if not all of their cameras actually were rebadged Ricoh cameras. The lenses came from different OEMs, with clear emphasis on early Samyang. Samyang started lens making in Koreas some time in the early 1970ies. What we know today as a serious maker of competitive lenses, started as a relatively inferior supplier of lenses for retail brands. Today you find dozens of Sears branded Samyang lenses on Ebay every day. Nevertheless, Sears had 3 variants of 80-200 f4 lenses made by Samyang and another one presumably made by Tokina. The "model 202"s were certainly made by Samyang.
No problem! Thanks for all the info!

I'd think my Albinar-ADG would be the regular K-mount. And yep, it's made in Japan.
Funny that it'd be made by the same guy! Now I'm interested, the Albinar and Magnicon are some of my favorite lenses, what other lenses would have been made by Cima Kogaku?
The Albinar can be found pretty cheaply, so picking one up to verify you're correct wouldn't be too much of an investment.

Oh ok, interesting! I've noticed Samyang have made quite a nice spot for themselves. I've been looking at their 8mm fisheye.

Thank you for all the interesting info!
08-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #18
UMC

Photos: Gallery
Well - here you find a lot about Cimko branded lenses, including a list of what they made: 3 faces of CIMKO Cima Kogaku 2.8/28mm

Good luck in finding nicely priced gems.