Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #1

SMC Takumar 35mm f3.5 M42 with Adaptor On K3 and K5 DSLR and SFXn and Z50p 35mm SLRs

Hi Guys,

I've ordered a SMC Takumar 35mm f3.5 M42 lens which I intend using with the proper Pentax M42 to K mount adaptor on the following Pentax K-mount bodies:

35mm Film

SFXn
Z50P

Digital

K5
K3

Please could you let me know if there are any pitfalls involved in using this lens on my cameras such as the possibility of the mirror catching the back of the lens at minimum focusing distance? I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
Paul

08-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming you are using the genuine Pentax adapter, I would not expect any issues; the lens should mount cleanly.* That being said, I will include the standard caution regarding SMC/S-M-C series Takumar M42 lenses. It is important to not attempt to move the A/M (auto/manual) switch on the lens base unless an appropriate camera, adapter, or rear cap is attached. There is a tiny pin on the lens base that drives an interlock mechanism for the A/M switch, locking it in the "A" position unless the pin is depressed. Forcing the switch may result in serious damage to the aperture mechanism. The interlock feature is designed to work with the Spotmatic F and similar bodies supporting open-aperture metering. On those bodies manual stop-down is provided by a switch on the camera with the A/M switch locked.

As for rear mirror clearance, your new lens was designed to work with the last generation of Pentax M-42 bodies, all of which had long mirrors. It should be comptible with your two film cameras with no concerns. If you wish to make sure, you can open the shutter in "B" mode and mount the adapted lens. Any clearance issue should be readily apparent. To the best of my knowledge, there are no clearance issues with the A/M switch on any Pentax dSLR bodies, though I generally deem it prudent to test clearance by attaching adapter to body on first use and carefully rotate the lens into place while checking for clearance. Once proved safe,** you may attach the adapter to the lens prior to mounting if that is your preference with no fear.

Steve

* There may be issues involving interference of the interlock pin with some brand-X adapters.

** Some M42 lenses have fairly prominent A/M switches that may not fully clear the flash overhang on some model cameras. If the adapter is attached prior to mounting, such lenses will mount fine, but cannot rotate freely to remove. This is not a good situation with no easy remedy.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-26-2018 at 10:15 AM.
08-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have encountered no problems with Takumar-series lenses on my *istDS, K-5 or K-1. I have the 28/3.5, 35/3.5, a selection of 50mm and 55mm Taks, the S-M-C 135/3.5, and a couple of off-brand 135/2.8's. I even have a monstrous Bushnell 70-200/3.5 that has mounted perfectly well to my K-5 without issues.

I believe the mirror-catching issue is a serious problem with SOME Canon DSLRs, and precludes the use of the 50/1.4 lenses on those cameras. AFAIK this is due to the mirror/mount distance being shorter.
08-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Assuming you are using the genuine Pentax adapter, I would not expect any issues; the lens should mount cleanly.* That being said, I will include the standard caution regarding SMC/S-M-C series Takumar M42 lenses. It is important to not attempt to move the A/M (auto/manual) switch on the lens base unless an appropriate camera, adapter, or rear cap is attached. There is a tiny pin on the lens base that drives an interlock mechanism for the A/M switch, locking it in the "A" position unless the pin is depressed. Forcing the switch may result in serious damage to the aperture mechanism. The interlock feature is designed to work with the Spotmatic F and similar bodies supporting open-aperture metering. On those bodies manual stop-down is provided by a switch on the camera with the A/M switch locked.

As for rear mirror clearance, your new lens was designed to work with the last generation of Pentax M-42 bodies, all of which had long mirrors. It should be comptible with your two film cameras with no concerns. If you wish to make sure, you can open the shutter in "B" mode and mount the adapted lens. Any clearance issue should be readily apparent. To the best of my knowledge, there are no clearance issues with the A/M switch on any Pentax dSLR bodies, though I generally deem it prudent to test clearance by attaching adapter to body on first use and carefully rotate the lens into place while checking for clearance. Once proved safe,** you may attach the adapter to the lens prior to mounting if that is your preference with no fear.

Steve

* There may be issues involving interference of the interlock pin with some brand-X adapters.

** Some M42 lenses have fairly prominent A/M switches that may not fully clear the flash overhang on some model cameras. If the adapter is attached prior to mounting, such lenses will mount fine, but cannot rotate freely to remove. This is not a good situation with no easy remedy.
Thanks Steve, I'm using a genuine Pentax adapter, because I've heard mixed stories about some of the third party ones not being the best. The lens I bought thankfully doesn't have a hugely over-sized A/M switch either. I bought it primarily to use on my film cameras to bridge the gap between 28 and 50mm focal lengths.

Paul

---------- Post added 08-26-18 at 11:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I have encountered no problems with Takumar-series lenses on my *istDS, K-5 or K-1. I have the 28/3.5, 35/3.5, a selection of 50mm and 55mm Taks, the S-M-C 135/3.5, and a couple of off-brand 135/2.8's. I even have a monstrous Bushnell 70-200/3.5 that has mounted perfectly well to my K-5 without issues.

I believe the mirror-catching issue is a serious problem with SOME Canon DSLRs, and precludes the use of the 50/1.4 lenses on those cameras. AFAIK this is due to the mirror/mount distance being shorter.
It's great to hear you've not had any problems using Takumar series lenses on Pentax DSLR cameras, I'll be giving them a try on my two because of the legendary status of the lenses.
Canon do indeed have a clearance problem, their EF-S lenses for APS-C cameras aren't compatible with FF because of the rear of the lens won't clear the mirror on FF bodies. Nor can EF-S lenses be used with teleconverters of any brand for the same reason.

08-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have and use the Takumar 35 3.5 on all my bodies with no issues. My recommendation though, is to get an appropriate lens hood. The Takumar 35 lenses are prone to flare, and reduced contrast without a hood.

*The recommendations Steve made are great to keep in mind when using any Takumar m42 lenses.
08-26-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ McKenna Quote
Hi Guys,

I've ordered a SMC Takumar 35mm f3.5 M42 lens which I intend using with the proper Pentax M42 to K mount adaptor on the following Pentax K-mount bodies:

35mm Film

SFXn
Z50P

Digital

K5
K3

Please could you let me know if there are any pitfalls involved in using this lens on my cameras such as the possibility of the mirror catching the back of the lens at minimum focusing distance? I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
Paul
You shouldn't worry. The aperture pin ends up in the bottom position (tripod mount side) with the original Pentax adapter at least.

08-26-2018, 06:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I use the Takumar 28/3.5 on my K-5 btw…