Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OhioAngie Quote
I will never part with my FA 77, so adding a DA*200mm seems an ideal alternative, IF it was a FF.[COLOR="Silver"]
It is one of the DA lenses supported by Pentax on FF as FF if you want. There are correction profiles etc.

Here's a thread that discussed the merits of using the DA* 200 vs. the 70-200. Read post #3 in particular:
DA 200mm F2.8 vs DFA 70-200 F2.8 for full frame - PentaxForums.com

From what I read the 70-200 is a little better at low aperture and has less Purple Fringing in those low aperture high contrast situations. I saw something similar at least with the PF when testing an 80-200 FA* against my DA* but that was on crop.

For the weight delta - you'd be hard pressed to not try it if the weight of the 70-200 worries you.

08-28-2018, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

<snip>

I will never part with my FA 77, so adding a DA*200mm seems an ideal alternative, IF it was a FF.

<snip>
The DA*200 works wonderfully on my K-1. Same as the DA*300. Some of the DA* lenses are FF, even if marked DA.

Lens search tool, set for Pentax FF... Full Frame Lenses | PentaxForums.com

edit- beat by UncleVanya. I'll leave it for the search tool link.
08-28-2018, 08:00 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It is one of the DA lenses supported by Pentax on FF as FF if you want. There are correction profiles etc.

Here's a thread that discussed the merits of using the DA* 200 vs. the 70-200. Read post #3 in particular:
DA 200mm F2.8 vs DFA 70-200 F2.8 for full frame - PentaxForums.com

From what I read the 70-200 is a little better at low aperture and has less Purple Fringing in those low aperture high contrast situations. I saw something similar at least with the PF when testing an 80-200 FA* against my DA* but that was on crop.

For the weight delta - you'd be hard pressed to not try it if the weight of the 70-200 worries you.
Excellent link and NormHead does a thorough job of setting the record straight. With a quick shift and the other features, what could I lose by trying it? I wonder why the lens database does not list it as both APS-C and FF like the 40mm Limited and some others? Doe this DA* have the same SDM failure issues? I ask because I would start by looking for a used copy.

---------- Post added 08-28-18 at 08:40 AM ----------

Excellent link and NormHead does a thorough job of setting the record straight. With a quick shift and the other features, what could I lose by trying it? I wonder why the lens database does not list it as both APS-C and FF like the 40mm Limited and some others? Doe this DA* have the same SDM failure issues? I ask because I would start by looking for a used copy.
Nevermind...I see them listed in the screwdrive conversion post
08-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

---------- Post added 08-28-18 at 08:40 AM ----------

Nevermind...I see them listed in the screwdrive conversion post
To add context - I can convert the DA* 200 to screw drive and I have done so a handful of times. The lenses I see most are the 50-135, then 16-50, then rarely 200, and rarer still the 300.

SDM to Screwdrive Conversions - PentaxForums.com

Anyone can do it. A little tech savvy is needed for a few of the bits but it isn't hard. You do need an older camera.

08-28-2018, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A lot just comes down to people wanting better. Pentax is designing lenses that will deliver close to medium format performance from a full frame sensor. That isn't necessary for a lot of people just like having clean iso 6400 isn't important to many people or 4K video. There are a lot of excellent lenses that are smaller, including the DA *200, FA limiteds and DA *55. All of these will work fine on full frame, however they may not have the fastest auto focus, best corner performance wide open, and may suffer from some purple fringing issues.

Purple fringing and faster auto focus were the issues that really pushed my wife to move from the DA * 200 to the DFA *70-200 and probably will eventually get us to move from the FA 77 to the DFA *85. She shoots weddings and there were just several places where it was tough to fix the PF without changing colors within the scene. It also affects efficiency, which is important when you are wading through a bunch of photos.

I will say that for her, shooting professionally, moving from a K3 to a K-1 was a big improvement and while she isn't the biggest lady, she is willing to deal with the increased size of body and lenses for the improved performance she sees in shooting performance.