Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2018, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #46
pxt

It is typical. Shorter distance between wide and long angle and zoom and You've better lens. It is design issue.

08-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #47

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Hi Ropuchy sorry to ask, did you get your K5 used or you bought without the lens ? it normally came with the 18-55WR I remember, because I want a wider range zoom I traded it for the 18-135, and I sold it later and purchased 2 lenses short and long for better image quality. As far as I remember one thing I notice on the lens there is vignetting at the wide end, and there is purple fringing at the long end which is quite normal on superzoom and can be corrected with on camera image correction feature, I can't remember if the K5 has this feature it is on the K3, but for the 18-55 you don't have to worry about that. And as a side note, if you get the K5 used, please take note the lens release button, it pop up off the camera quite easily, I lost the button and replaced while still under warranty, Pentax fixed that on the K3.

---------- Post added 08-29-18 at 11:57 AM ----------

If I remember right Tokina produced lenses for Pentax before, and I used one like 24-70/2.8 long time ago with film camera and the IQ was excellent, the image was slightly cool but very sharp, I specially like the push pull AF/MF switch over design... I don't know why Tokina no longer produce lenses for Pentax, and Pentax really need new lenses to support the system.
I bought my K-5 used off of this forum. It is in very good condition and was barely used, though.
It did not come with a lens. I had 6 manual lenses I had been using with my K1000, which I use with my K-5.

Thank you for telling me about the lens release button! I notice it's a bit wibbly-wobbly, so I could see it coming off if I was a bit rough with it.

---------- Post added 08-29-18 at 12:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
At the summer comfort takes shot in rain is very nice option. In my country minimum quater of summer is rainy.
Ah ok. I get rain all summer long where I live, although it does take breaks.

---------- Post added 08-29-18 at 12:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I really like the 18-135. With any zoom like this you'll have issues, but it's a really nice little lens which performs very well for most uses. I use it a lot as a basic walkaround.
Yeah, 18-135 seems like it'd work great as a walk-around! I use my 28-70 as a walk-around, but I wish it could go a little wider and a little shorter.

---------- Post added 08-29-18 at 12:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I owned both, and sold both.

I just prefer primes...
But the 18-135 was less impressive than the 16-85
Ah, alright.
Primes are nice, but being able to adjust the focal length can be really handy.
I like using my 50mm f2, but I'll bring along my 28-70 or 80-200 just in case I need something further away.
08-29-2018, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep in mind that your WR-built K-5 does not have WR if a non-WR lens is attached.

The DA 16-85mm lens is larger and more expensive than the DA 18-135mm. It is an outstandingly good lens, but its tele range is shorter and it has had some issues regarding sub-par copies. The only valid sub-par performance regarding the DA 18-135mm is regarding edge and corner sharpness which is very good to good out to 70mm, but beyond that gets increasingly softer. However, the central frame area remains excellent to very good throughout, plus edges tend to be less important in the tele range, and this lens's bokeh (smoothness of out of focus background) is very good and actually helped by the softer edges at the longer end.
08-29-2018, 02:16 PM   #49

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Keep in mind that your WR-built K-5 does not have WR if a non-WR lens is attached.

The DA 16-85mm lens is larger and more expensive than the DA 18-135mm. It is an outstandingly good lens, but its tele range is shorter and it has had some issues regarding sub-par copies. The only valid sub-par performance regarding the DA 18-135mm is regarding edge and corner sharpness which is very good to good out to 70mm, but beyond that gets increasingly softer. However, the central frame area remains excellent to very good throughout, plus edges tend to be less important in the tele range, and this lens's bokeh (smoothness of out of focus background) is very good and actually helped by the softer edges at the longer end.
Yep, I've faced the camera lens-down whenever I've had to walk through some mild sprinkles of rain and whatnot.

It's not like my lenses or camera will instantly explode and die if I let a tiny bit of water get on them, but I prefer to play it safe.

Thanks for the info!

08-30-2018, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just another note...
I've used the DA15 in some heavy blizzard conditions and the lens/camera fared just fine.

NOT saying you should do this all the time, or in heavy rain... But a lot of these limited primes are sealed up fairly well, though not technically designated as WR.

Same goes for the 35mm Macro Limited.
That lens isn't WR on the books, but I've yet to see any issues with it and I've shot a few times in undesirable conditions.
08-30-2018, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #51
pxt

I will be only afraid fungs few months after. With my old 50 M Pentax lens in soft rain I take few shot, but it was cheap and used lens. With no WR kit I simply use my weatherproof jacket as hood to protect lens and camera, but I suggest use it in very atractive shot to not damage equipment.
08-30-2018, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would just remind people to keep the gaskets and mounts clean for WR to be its most effective. A swab and water will do the job. If you swap lenses frequently you do run the risk of dust, which might be minor but still...worth the time to clean things occasionally.

08-30-2018, 11:23 AM   #53
pxt

Without clean I will be afraid corrosion of mount.
08-31-2018, 12:24 PM   #54
Veteran Member

One of these things that might be important for the OP, is that the 18 55 might be less suitable for dark and rainy weather. You cannot open the aperture with this lens and expect no penalty..
09-02-2018, 01:53 AM   #55
pxt

Cons of this lens is you are obligate to use wider angle to get better F in darker situation.
09-02-2018, 06:44 AM   #56

Photos: Gallery
DA 18-50 - if You want something small. DA 16-85 - if You want something more serious.
09-02-2018, 11:30 AM   #57
pxt

For me the best solution if you have money is DA 16-50mm because is better F2.8