Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2018, 06:30 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 200 2.8 tripod collar puzzle solved!

Hello everyone. Several threads, going back years, have tried to solve the problem of the 200 f/2.8 lens lacking a tripod collar. I recently bought this great lens to fill in a blank spot between my 100 f/2.8 and my 300 f/4. Like so many, I found the lens to be very front-heavy when mounted on a tripod with a body mount. I have a fairly heavy-duty tripod, but I still found that things wiggled too much, and there was a tendency to creep (making correct composition dificult). Since most of my professional work is tripod-based, I knew I needed a solution. After two false starts, I have found a 3rd party collar that works very well (with a bit of fine-tuning). I ordered the DSLRKIT Tripod Mount Ring A009 for Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 ($20 on Amazon), and modified it to fit almost perfectly. The collar fits a bit further forward on the lens than is typical, and the lens barrel at this point has a slight change in diameter. In order to get a snug and secure fit, I made a simple gasket out of several layers of duct tape, to make up the difference for the smaller side (toward the camera body), and once cinched up, it felt really solid. So, for a few bucks and about ten minutes with some duct tape, you too can have a collar for your brilliant 200 tele! The photos below should make everything clear, but if you have questions, just ask.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by SPLewis; 08-29-2018 at 05:25 AM.
08-28-2018, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #2

I like that method! Nice work solving the puzzle on the (relative) cheap! If the tape gets sticky, you could even try some rubber gasket material, cut in strips.
08-28-2018, 06:41 PM - 2 Likes   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
bravo!

QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
I like that method! Nice work solving the puzzle on the (relative) cheap! If the tape gets sticky, you could even try some rubber gasket material, cut in strips.
or even some leather....
08-28-2018, 06:54 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Oooohhh ! I love DIY stuff ! Nice.
Here is my Pipe Strap Tripod collar for the fantastic Takumar 200mm f3.5 preset lens.
Pipe strap , Powder Coat , Felt , couple bolts…….and it looks good !

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
08-28-2018, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
That’s great. Love the photos showing the details
08-28-2018, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I seen people using elastic wrist bands (like friendship bands) in stead of duct tape.
08-28-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SPLewis Quote
Hello everyone. Several threads, going back years, have tried to solve the problem of the 200 f/2.8 lens lacking a tripod collar. I recently bought this great lens to fill in a blank spot between my 100 f/2.8 and my 300 f/4. Like so many, I found the lens to be very front-heavy when mounted on a tripod with a body mount. I have a fairly heavy-duty tripod, but I still found that things wiggled too much, and there was a tendency to creep (making correct composition dificult). Since most of my professional work is tripod-based, I knew I needed a solution. After two false starts, I have found a 3rd party collar that works very well (with a bit of fine-tuning). I ordered the DSLRKIT Tripod Mount Ring A009 for Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 ($20 on Amazon), and modified it to fit almost perfectly. The collar fits a bit further forward on the lens than is typical, and the lens barrel at this point has a slight change in diameter. In order to get a snug and secure fit, I made a simple gasket out of several layers of duct tape, to make up the difference for the smaller side (toward the camera body), and once cinched up, it felt really solid. So, for a few bucks and about ten minutes with some duct tape, you too can have a collar for your brilliant 200 tele! The photos below should make anything clear, but if you have questions, just ask.
I like it. I think I would turn the tape around so it sticks to the inside of the collar, that way it won’t interfere with hand holding the lens.

08-28-2018, 08:07 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duct tape saved Apollo 13. I always go with duct tape.
08-28-2018, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

It seems to me, that better way is to glue 2 pieces of pasport paper inside tripod colar. That paper is about 1 mm thick, maybe a little more. I use such modification on chinese tripod collar with diameter of 82 mm to mount on projection lenses with 80 mm barrel diameter. The good thing is that you can rotate easily whole camera from horizontal to vertical frame, because paper is more slippery on the lens barrel than tape on the collar (I see folding of the tape), - it is enough just to unscrew tripod collar bolt slightly.
08-29-2018, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Re: duct tape

QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
I like it. I think I would turn the tape around so it sticks to the inside of the collar, that way it won’t interfere with hand holding the lens.
The tape gasket I used isn't sticky on either side. I just used enough layers to make up the slight change in lens diameter at the attachment point, and the "gasket" just slides onto the lense prior to attaching the collar. In fact, the duct tape is nearly superfluous, as the collar works fine without it: I just wanted a bit of padding in there so I could really crank that sucker down. Thanks for all the positive comments, and the other cool ideas! Now, isn't this more fun than if Pentax just supplied the 200 2.8 with a collar in the first place?

---------- Post added 08-29-18 at 04:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PancakeFlipper Quote
That’s great. Love the photos showing the details
Hey, PancakeFlipper, I'm a Mainer, too! (I knew there had to be more Mainer Pentaxians.)
08-29-2018, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #11

The pipe strap collar is terrific, as well. I love DIY. Never thought about it for camera work.