Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2018, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K to FA lens comparison table

Some time ago I was going through lens reviews and specifications but it got annoying to click and view each lens separately. There is great KMP site which has tables for comparison, however they are still separated by category and maybe not so easy to compare all the stats. So I compiled the complete table of K series to FA series. It's handy when I decide what to buy next to use on older film bodies. There's color coding to better visualize the values when you for example want to collect only light or compact set. It would be handy to add more useful data for each lens like number of aperture blades.

Let me know how it can be improved, add ability to sort it by column or series, or something else.

The table is here: Pentax K mount film lens table - Google Sheets

08-29-2018, 03:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice idea, although I probably won't make use of it because I usually go the other way: a lens pops up in an interesting focal range for a, for me, reasonable price and I look for the reviews to comfirm it's value.
(The A 50mm f1.7 has no rotating Front element and 6 aperture blades - I assume this is true for the M, F and FA versions too)
08-29-2018, 03:55 AM   #3
jnd

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Nice idea, although I probably won't make use of it because I usually go the other way: a lens pops up in an interesting focal range for a, for me, reasonable price and I look for the reviews to comfirm it's value.
(The A 50mm f1.7 has no rotating Front element and 6 aperture blades - I assume this is true for the M, F and FA versions too)
I could also add links to the review pages for each lens, although that will take some time to go through all.
08-29-2018, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for that. A database like this can be useful for a number of purposes. I think Adam should make it a permanent feature of the lens reviews page.

08-29-2018, 04:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

That first lens on the list is a doozy - probably the only one more rare than the M 35/1.4.

Thank you for this.
08-29-2018, 04:51 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
probably the only one more rare than the M 35/1.4
Have you not got yours yet ?
08-29-2018, 05:27 AM   #7
jnd

Original Poster
By the way, if anyone has a time and wants to add more parameters to the table then I will give him edit rights.

08-29-2018, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #8

Yes, I wish somebody would create a table/database such as this one for Minolta SR mount lenses:
MINOLTA Manual Lens List
08-29-2018, 10:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jnd Quote
So I compiled the complete table of K series to FA series. It's handy when I decide what to buy next to use on older film bodies.
There's color coding to better visualize the values when you for example want to collect only light or compact set.
Great work!

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
A database like this can be useful for a number of purposes.

I think Adam should make it a permanent feature of the lens reviews page.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We're actually currently in the process of revamping the lens databases to make a comparison tool like this possible. Stay tuned!
Suggest for Sticky

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Yes, I wish somebody would create a table/database such as this one for Minolta SR mount lenses:
MINOLTA Manual Lens List
I'd build my own AF lens table in 2015 because nothing similar existed for Pentax. I'd include all user rating points from the lens reviews into it, so the lenses can be sorted by subjective sharpness/AF/whatever.
08-29-2018, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #10
jnd

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Great work!

I'd build my own AF lens table in 2015 because nothing similar existed for Pentax. I'd include all user rating points from the lens reviews into it, so the lenses can be sorted by subjective sharpness/AF/whatever.
Thanks

Yes, I visited the Minolta table couple times too, it's nicely done but the format could be improved and linked to detailed pages. I'm wary of comparing the review marks as it's highly subjective and sometimes only one of few people reviewed it which doesn't make good statistical sample. But as guidance it's good enough I suppose.

Creating the table from forum database has the advantage of listing all the specs which are already available for each lens. If it's stored in database.
10-10-2019, 01:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Here's the AF lens timeline for Pentax i'd create:
Template:Pentax K-mount AF lenses timeline - Wikipedia

And the current chart of Pentax DSLR cameras:
Template:Pentax digital interchangeable lens cameras - Wikipedia

For Minolta lovers:
Template:Minolta Dynax/Maxxum SLR film cameras - Wikipedia