Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Question on Sigma 24-60 extended warranty ...

The Amazon sale webpage says register to extend warranty from 1 to 4 years, but no registration card came in the box. So I assume, despite the warranty card saying "do not use for registration", its detachable bottom half is meant for registration, correct?

Another thing is this bottom half says "Store Copy", does that mean registration is sent to the selling store Cameta? I would've thought since Sigma is providing the extended warranty registration shoudld be with Sigma. Very confusing !!

Did anyone buying this lens recently suffer the same confusion?

09-20-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
The Amazon sale webpage says register to extend warranty from 1 to 4 years, but no registration card came in the box. So I assume, despite the warranty card saying "do not use for registration", its detachable bottom half is meant for registration, correct?

Another thing is this bottom half says "Store Copy", does that mean registration is sent to the selling store Cameta? I would've thought since Sigma is providing the extended warranty registration shoudld be with Sigma. Very confusing !!

Did anyone buying this lens recently suffer the same confusion?
this is not a warranty from Sigma - this is just a smoke put by Cameta - it is their warranty, not Sigma's... call them and ask directly - if CSR will try to dodge the question - tell that you will call Sigma right away, that usually nails 'em.
09-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
EX Lenses come with a 1 yr international and 3 yr extended for US only, the card came in my 24-70 for EF mount bought at Amazon, but was missing on the 10-20 bought from Adorama, i contacted Adorama at that time, rather pissy too i admit, they contacted Sigma who then registered the lens for the extra 3 yrs.
It is not smoke by Cameta. Unless it is not the official US distributed lens.
09-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
It is not smoke by Cameta.
email reply from Cameta itself :

QuoteQuote:
Hi,

Cameta Camera provides the additional 3 years worth of coverage,

Kindest Regards,
Maryann
Customer Service
Cameta Camera

09-21-2008, 02:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sounds very much like the same "offer" sigma are currently giving UK purchasers of EX lenses... I just registered my new Sigma 10-20 with them

Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd

simon
09-21-2008, 03:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your inputs.

My brother in US bought for me this lens from Amazon/Cameta, it's still with him (my visit there not until next month) so it should qualify for the US extended warranty.

Simon, did your get a regis card with your 10-20 or did you register online without requiring a card, is there an equivalent website for US?

Cheers
09-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Thanks everyone for your inputs.

My brother in US bought for me this lens from Amazon/Cameta, it's still with him (my visit there not until next month) so it should qualify for the US extended warranty.

Simon, did your get a regis card with your 10-20 or did you register online without requiring a card, is there an equivalent website for US?

Cheers
here is a good thread

Flickr: Discussing Info on warranty in Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC

so basically your brother can call Sigma directly and ask them to mail him that warranty form to
complete and may be this will work.

09-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Here is what Sigma itself says about the situation when registration
card (I mean the card for that extended warranty for EX lenses) is missing :

QuoteQuote:
There is no need to register the lens just hang onto your proof of purchase and warranty card in case you ever need service.
Desiree Gaige

Customer Service/Technical Support
Sigma Corporation of America
15 Fleetwood Court
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779
(631)585-1144
(631)585-1895 (fax)
dgaige@sigmaphoto.com
www.sigmaphoto.com
www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/network
now - does she mean the serial number card or the allegedly missing extended warranty card ... I will ask that Desiree again.
10-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Cameta Warranty

I'm getting two different impressions, here.

My clear (if incorrect) understanding is that the 3-year (add'l) US warranty is only available when buying through a Sigma USA authorized dealer. The Sigma Web site lists the online and bricks-and-mortar dealers so authorized. Cameta is on that list as of 31 October 2008. See Sigma Corporation of America.

So you should get the Sigma extended warranty when buying through Cameta. Now ... what proof is needed for repair is a different story. I did get a card with my 10-20 purchased from, I think, Adorama. Maybe B&H. I would like more than an email from a friendly customer service rep but Sigma has a fine reputation so perhaps that's OK.
11-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

More from Cameta

I just bought a Sigma 24-50 and 18-50 from Cameta at very good prices.

Glenn at Cameta assured me that they're a SigmaUSA-authorized dealer and ship the lenses with the 1-year warranty. He called back, very nice guy that he is, and advised me that he went out to the warehouse to check the boxes. There was no three-year warranty card.

He further rptd that someone at Cameta told him that Sigma does not offer the three-year warranty on these through Cameta as the retailer purchased them under a special (closeout??) agreement.

More as I get it (but there will be no film at eleven).