Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2018, 08:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
The thing that gets me is the 35 optics are nearly good enough to be a DF A lens.
I know. I wish it were full frame.

08-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Honestly, the whole worry with plastic mounts is, so far as my own experience goes, unfounded. The DAL 55-300 weighs nothing compared to many lenses... It will have zero impact on the plastic mount. You could fit plastic mounts to considerably heavier lenses and not have any problems. Wear and tear from constantly fitting and removing the lens is more likely to be an issue, but my DA35/2.4 shows no signs of that either...
I agree; reports of broken PENTAX plastic mounts are quite rare. However, I have been hanging out on the FujiX-Forum for the past year and I've read reports of broken FUJI plastic mounts - maybe 4, 5 or 6 cases reported in a year. Fuji uses a plastic mount on two of their kit zooms, the XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 - and the XC 50-230mm F4.5-6.7 (and maybe others). As I recall, most of the broken mount reports I saw were about the longer lens.

I have both of the above zooms; the reason I bought them was to save weight when traveling by foot. I also have Fuji's mid-range XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 zoom (metal mount). The image image quality of Fuji's plastic-mount lenses is actually equal to their more expensive zooms, which is saying a lot.

I've never worried about the mount on my Pentax DA 35, but don't assume all plastic mounts are as trouble free as the ones Pentax makes.
08-29-2018, 09:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I know. I wish it were full frame.
Isn't it, effectively?
08-29-2018, 09:45 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Isn't it, effectively?
In my experience it is.

08-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by runswithsizzers Quote
reports of broken PENTAX plastic mounts are quite rare.
Maybe broken is quite rare from normal use and not being dropped, but the plastic mount on my 55-300 DAL would shave off into the camera body whenever I swapped it. I guess the plastic was too cheap for the tight tolerances of the mount. Got rid of it quick that's for sure.
10-31-2020, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

It's the other end of the lens that needs enhancement: the productive thing to do would be to add a lens hood bayonet.

11-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if anyone has been able to remove the aperture mask on the DAL35 such that you'd get something closer to the FA35 of which the lens is supposedly based off of.
11-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
I wonder if anyone has been able to remove the aperture mask on the DAL35 such that you'd get something closer to the FA35 of which the lens is supposedly based off of.
There's an aperture mask?
11-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There's an aperture mask?
DA 35mm/2.4 - A Plastic Wonder! -- DAL35 vs FA35 vs DA35m vs A35 (many photos!) - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com

The thread of the Dal35 vs FA35, a user shows a side-by-side of the rear and you can see a sort of circular mask within the DAL35.
11-04-2020, 06:06 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
you can see a sort of circular mask within the DAL35
Has anyone tried to remove this? How necessary is it? I'd be interested in trying this if it means I got f2.
11-04-2020, 06:21 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Lensrentals on metal vs plastic mounts...
If the lens is damage plastic one require less repair. The metal ones tend to break the piece that holds the mount, the plastic ones just break the mount. They found no functional difference other wise.
11-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They found no functional difference other wise.
Curious to know if they check the plastic mounts from wear and getting loose over time because as my post above from 2 years ago stated (before this thread was resurrected), my 55-300 DAL was starting to shave off plastic bits into the mirror box. And a DA 50mm 1.8 I had also was showing quite a bit of wear too. Acquired a cheap Tokina AF lens with a metal K mount I was going to transplant to one of them but then decided to just sell off the plastic lenses and replace them with different ones.
11-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Curious to know if they check the plastic mounts from wear and getting loose over time because as my post above from 2 years ago stated (before this thread was resurrected), my 55-300 DAL was starting to shave off plastic bits into the mirror box. And a DA 50mm 1.8 I had also was showing quite a bit of wear too. Acquired a cheap Tokina AF lens with a metal K mount I was going to transplant to one of them but then decided to just sell off the plastic lenses and replace them with different ones.
I'd be looking or cause of use shavings. I haven't used either much, and I tend to use my plastic mounts infrequently, so it would be an investigation. But touch won\od, none of my plastic mounts have done that.

I got a DA*55 1.4 and all other 50 type lenses are history.

Last edited by normhead; 11-04-2020 at 11:15 AM.
11-05-2020, 06:17 AM   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I would think the most likely cause of wear is the lens locking pin - or possibly the AF screw - on the camera's lens mount, especially if either is a little stiff, has sharp edges and / or some amount of play. Having noticed scratches on the metal mounts on some of my tighter-fitting lenses, I now habitually depress the lens release button in when attaching a lens. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it certainly stops the locking pin from scraping against the lens mount.

Another possible cause is rough edges somewhere on the camera's lens mount, which is possible if you've been fitting and removing a third party M42 adapter using that horrible "key" they usually provide...