Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

It's good that you are enjoying your new lens.

No knock against the lens but a 50mm lens will not improve *my* photography. It's not the lens' fault. I generally prefer compositions at either wide angle or telephoto.

I already have an FA 43 and have trouble "seeing" with it. If I ever master the 43/1.9 then I might consider a 50/1.4.

08-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #17

Of course this is getting a little absurd but I'll take a stab at the question. First, lets get the definition of the word.

Definition of photography
: the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface (such as film or an optical sensor)

I absolutely agree that equipment can improve your photography. I'll take the extreme case to prove my point. Imagine that you have no equipment whatsoever. How good is your photography? Not your unrealized potential, but the quality of the actual photography? Not very good.

Now add a camera. Now you can do better. You can actually take pictures. I'd say an improvement in your photography.

Adding a new lens will open up new possibilities for photography. Thus making an individual capable of producing "better" photography. But, maybe this is where the confusion lies. It is not the equipment itself that makes the photography better. It is the fact that the equipment is necessary for photography that makes it "better". It kind of opens the door. The photography will either benefit or suffer dependent on the photographer. I spent way to much time thinking about this. What does "better" even mean in art? Who is judging? The nice thing about better equipment is you can always turn it down or somehow put limitations to serve the photograph. On the other hand, it is kind of difficult to make lesser equipment better.

I don't know. I guess it comes down to how you think about it. I can kind of see both sides. But, to be clear I don't think the equipment itself improves the photographer. Just the photography.
08-30-2018, 11:35 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My 2 cents...
Some Pentax lenses make me anxious (Think AF accuracy some 50s, Wake up times of DA*s) and that distracts you or reduces your ability to focus on your creativity. A pro lens like this D-FA* will set those anxieties aside and will help me do what I want to do rather than being jolted by a seemingly insignificant anomaly in the lens. For ex. a great shot but slightly missed focus etc or the lens AF system does not wake up soon enough and or is sluggish (Think DA*s). I most recently bought a DA*50-135 screw driver converted as a back up. It seems the lens has no focus issues except the ponzi SDM in those lenses. Despite AF noise I tend to prefer to use that copy of the lens than the silent copy because now I am not worried about the wake up times and only focus on getting it done than the anxiety around the gear.

On additional thoughts, Pentax should have recalled all their DA*s that had SDM issues.

Last edited by shardulm; 08-30-2018 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts...
08-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

No, but it would make it more comfortable with less PP.
Carrying it also counts in the dayly sport...

08-31-2018, 12:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It's good that you are enjoying your new lens.

No knock against the lens but a 50mm lens will not improve *my* photography. It's not the lens' fault. I generally prefer compositions at either wide angle or telephoto.

I already have an FA 43 and have trouble "seeing" with it. If I ever master the 43/1.9 then I might consider a 50/1.4.
About that mastering a lens thing. I don’t think that I’v mastered any of my lenses. I know how they work in different scenarios, but usin flaws and perks so that it would be optimal most of the time..that sounds like a good challenge. And using and choosing good palette of lenses for artistical work is another. I usually just shoot with one that I like most. FA43 comes in when I want discreet, light and good performance and I know that I can also get close up. Also these fast fifty lenses you need to get close for portraits.
08-31-2018, 05:00 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just coming back to check that I'd said 'yes'

'cos the answer's 'Yes!'
09-02-2018, 02:48 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments and answers - whether the improvements in my photography are psychological or actual doesn't really matter. I will be reducing my collection of older, quality lenses as a result of a couple of recent purchases (the D-FA* 50/1.4 being one important one) and the long decision making process of what to fill the camera bag with will become easier over time