Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Most unlikely that this type of abnormality would affect images in any way. If it were a large white unpainted area, then it would be possible for light reflections to occur into the lens, but those tiny dots will not do that. I don't think it is a refurbished lens, since the model is still so new. Maybe this dealer buys up slightly imperfect copies and discounts them.
I’m really surprised Pentax let this lens out of the factory in this condition . . . . .

08-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most unlikely that this type of abnormality would affect images in any way. If it were a large white unpainted area, then it would be possible for light reflections to occur into the lens, but those tiny dots will not do that. I don't think it is a refurbished lens, since the model is still so new. Maybe this dealer buys up slightly imperfect copies and discounts them.
As new as the lens is, I'd believe if Pentax saw this, they wouldn't be sending it out the door to be sold, to any dealer. I think this was just one that made it past QC or had some manufacturing dust inside that was shook loose in transport.
08-30-2018, 07:11 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’m really surprised Pentax let this lens out of the factory in this condition . . . . .
I am too, but I've seen occasional incidents of people having to return a Pentax lens with a defect of some kind. It is a bit disturbing in an expensive premium lens like this one. I do remember years ago, however, where someone reported returning an FA Limited due to a slight glitch in the manual focus action. Back then under the old Pentax USA, their repair facility was right with them out in Colorado. The return time for the dealer had run out, but Pentax replaced the FA 43mm with a new one, no questions asked.
08-30-2018, 07:26 PM - 2 Likes   #19
ne!

To my eyes the dots look too symmetrical to be random, I have to wonder if we’re just seeing the light entering the viewfinder from behind through all the elements— are the dots still there if you cover the viewfinder with your thumb?

08-30-2018, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am too, but I've seen occasional incidents of people having to return a Pentax lens with a defect of some kind. It is a bit disturbing in an expensive premium lens like this one. I do remember years ago, however, where someone reported returning an FA Limited due to a slight glitch in the manual focus action. Back then under the old Pentax USA, their repair facility was right with them out in Colorado. The return time for the dealer had run out, but Pentax replaced the FA 43mm with a new one, no questions asked.
The story was they had to delay production speed of the lens because too many finished copies failed inspection and had to be send back for manual rework; they supposedly ended up running the pre-sale batch at slow speed, delaying release. They supposedly hand inspect and bench test every lens for defects, not just production samples.

Something about this situation just doesn’t smell right.
08-30-2018, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #21
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ne! Quote
To my eyes the dots look too symmetrical to be random, I have to wonder if we’re just seeing the light entering the viewfinder from behind through all the elements— are the dots still there if you cover the viewfinder with your thumb?
Without other angles to look at, this was my first impression also. It looks like light reflecting off of an interior lens. If it is because of something missing, I can't tell and if it is dust or smutz in a brand new DFA, I would return it. More images from other angles could confirm or deny issues.
08-30-2018, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ne! Quote
Interesting theory, and easy for the OP to check that. There's only so much we can tell from a 2D photo.
08-31-2018, 12:56 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here is a full resolution photo from the different angle. Mirror has been covered this time. I could accept those for additional discount, if it is 100% that these won't affect photos even when shooting with strong backlight. Online shop didn't mention anything about used or reduced quality. This should be brand new from the factory. These dots seem to be on the inside surface of the barrel rings. First three dots are on the first ring and second three dots on the second ring.

08-31-2018, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You are all crazy. The bits of fluff aren't even on the glass. On a Pentax QA/QC scale this lens is 101% OK. Next thing you'll be worrying about is that it is decentered ...
08-31-2018, 06:48 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I see 2 groupings of 3 marks. The groups are similar patterns: 2 big Mark's flanking 1 small mark.

Random debris wouldn't line up like that. Maybe the lens parts were stacked for assembly and something dragged across them? Assembly process used a rough tool that left similar scratches on all parts?

I would do the return for peace of mind.
09-07-2018, 01:00 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
I sent the lens back and first they tried to send it for repairs which can take couple weeks, but finally agreed to send new one and I should get it in couple days.

Now there is another problem and this time it is DFA 100 WR macro which also should be brand new. There is streaks and stains inside! First picture show stains back of the lenses quite close to the aperture blades and second picture show smaller ones behind the first lens so these cannot be cleaned without dissemble!

Sorry to say this but with Nikon low cost lenses I never had this kind of problems. They were always very clean all the way.

09-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I realize this may be frustrating but if it is of any comfort to you, as I've said earlier in this thread, the front elements can be very scratched and dirty before any image quality is degraded. I can't imagine that is going to affect much of anything but send it back again if you can't live with it or consider buying used where you can see the actual product photos before purchase.