Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 07:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
interesting responses so far!

I think it's interesting how all my Pentax gear is purchased used and I wouldn't blink twice before buying another used item from the marketplace here!

Now, when it comes to my UAS, all my DJI/Drone equipment is purchased brand new, from reputable sites like B&H... I just don't trust drone-consumers with selling reliable equipment on the used market...

08-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I tend to buy cameras new, current one a KP, but a mix of old and new lenses. Some old lenses are real bargains.
08-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #18

I buy mostly used and now I buy mostly from the Pentax Marketplace. This includes a K-3. a K-50, a 645, a Superprogram, a Spotmatic, several lenses and a bag. I have felt very comfortable dealing with all the different members there. Coast if a big issue and I am amazed at the amount of kit I have been able to get for the what I have paid. Everything has shown up as good or better then expected.
08-30-2018, 07:27 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most of my goodies are used. My K-5 and lenses were given to me by my husband, and I found my Asahi/Pentax Spotmatic and lenses for free!
I like buying used, except for filters, and other accessories. I don't rush to buy the latest, instead waiting to see what potential gotchas show up.

08-30-2018, 07:32 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Used lenses.
21 ltd., Tamron 90 macro, Tamron SP AF 300 2.8, FA 50 macro, SMC 35 3.5, F 1.7x AF adapter, FA 35-80, F-70-210, SMC super Tak 50 1.4 DA*200(dealer demo)
Bought new.
Sigma 8-16, DA* 60-250, , DA 35 2.4, DA 55 1.4 (bought cheaper than used from a dealer dumping stock,), DA 18-135, Tamron 17-50, DFA 28-105.Samyang 14m 2,8, Sigma 70 macro.FA 50 1.7, FAJ-18-35 (Bought for $100, lower than used price) , HD DA 1.4 TC,

Came on a heavily discounted camera... 40XS.

12 bought new, 9 bought second hand.But two of the new ones bought at extreme discounts. The only lens I paid full price for recently would be my 28-105. There just weren't any available second hand when I bought it. Of course the day after it arrived at my house someone listed one.
08-30-2018, 07:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Of course the day after it arrived at my house someone listed one.
Ain't that the pits!

haha I waited months for a used K-3ii to show up... Saved about $200 from the new price, but thought to myself, "Is the $200 savings worth not having the camera for 4 months?"

08-30-2018, 07:41 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was afraid of buying used because of the incertainties involved, so I started out buying only new stuff, but recently LBA got the best of me and I bought a greatly discounted lens through Amazon Marketplace that I don't think has seen any use before I got it, it seemed like only the box had a few scratches which is why it was discounted in the first place. Then I stumbled over an okay price for a used flash that I was okay with being delivered. But with lenses from private people I like to have a look at it in person before I buy. The cost is around the same as for shipping anyway (Limiting the distance, of course), and so I'm not running the risk of buying the cat in the sack a pig in a poke. Worked out greatly for me so far. I got some gear I couldn't ever have afforded new and could check out the condition beforehand.

08-30-2018, 08:12 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I buy used and always have. At first because I started on an obsolete camera (my Spotmatic F) so there wasn't any new gear available. Even now that I make a good living I am still a cheap bastard so I buy used. As I am not a pro chasing the latest and greatest I can bargain hunt for used gear like the Sigam 300mm f/4 APO I basically stole a few weeks for $130. Eventually I will get a better K-mount version of all of my old screw mount glass to use on modern cameras but want to find ones that are full frame because eventually I will get a K-1 or the likes unless the local camera store takes in a 645Z and screws up the pricing really badly like they did with that Sigma 300.
08-30-2018, 08:17 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
interesting responses so far!

I think it's interesting how all my Pentax gear is purchased used and I wouldn't blink twice before buying another used item from the marketplace here!

Now, when it comes to my UAS, all my DJI/Drone equipment is purchased brand new, from reputable sites like B&H... I just don't trust drone-consumers with selling reliable equipment on the used market...
No, I don't think I'd buy a drone used, either. And, oh, would I love to have one!
08-30-2018, 08:26 AM   #25
Pentaxian

With the exception of my very first dslr which i bought new in 2007 (K100D Super and kit lens $345 from QVC), all of my gear is used, due to the cost savings. I have bought gear from all over the place. I have even bought gear from out of state over craigslist. Only had trouble once, with fungus from Florida and the guy agreed to take it back. Oh an one time I had agreed to buy a FA24mm F2 for $150 out of Montana, but before I could pay her she must have realized that she had it priced too low and quit responding. Once I bought an SF10 with Pentax-F 50mm 1.7, 35-70 and 70-210 from some nice people in Nebraska. About 2 months later, I get a package in the mail with some more Pentax stuff they had found.

I buy cameras one or two generations back. My current is K5IIs and I honestly dont see me upgrading any time soon. And I like to buy/sell lenses so I can try them out. My best score was a FA* 300mm 4.5 from a farmer in Kansas. He said he had bought it to take deer hunting years ago but now he had a point and shoot and the FA was too heavy. Was a little beat up on the outside but perfect glass. No way I could have got a DA*300 due to the cost difference.

My one that I got cold feet on was a SMC 1000mm f8 in Raleigh for around $250 IIRC. I was the first caller but when I showed up at his house, with money in hand, I took a look at the size of that thing and I was like "what the hell am I going to do with that". I passed on it. Im pretty sure someone here on the forums drove to Raleigh for it, as I remember reading something about it.

I guess if I could spend the money on new I probably would but I would miss talking to people from all over.

Last edited by 7.62lew; 08-30-2018 at 03:56 PM.
08-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GinaC Quote
No, I don't think I'd buy a drone used, either. And, oh, would I love to have one!
Get the mavic 2 pro!

I have a phantom 4 pro and love it.. But the compact size of the mavic 2 pro is worth it!
The phantom is a bit better still in terms of IQ, but that mavic is a sweet looking rig, just not worth the "side-grade" for my purpose/
08-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #27
Pentaxian

My Pentax gear is all new except an A50/1.4, and will be getting used 24mm and 135mm when I find the ones I want.

My Fuji stuff is a mix of new and used.
08-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
My Pentax gear is all new except an A50/1.4, and will be getting used 24mm and 135mm when I find the ones I want.

My Fuji stuff is a mix of new and used.
Interesting. Any particular reason why everything is new? Just availability of what you want when you want it?
08-30-2018, 08:48 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Get the mavic 2 pro!

I have a phantom 4 pro and love it.. But the compact size of the mavic 2 pro is worth it!
The phantom is a bit better still in terms of IQ, but that mavic is a sweet looking rig, just not worth the "side-grade" for my purpose/
Thanks! Size is definitely going to be a big consideration when I finally get to that point!
08-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Interesting. Any particular reason why everything is new? Just availability of what you want when you want it?
I've had more than my share of bad experiences with used electronics over the years. So far, knock on wood, I've yet to have any issues with new gear except the odd piece being dead when coming out of the box. So, I tend to buy complicated tech items (like digital cameras and modern lenses) new.