Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
my gear is about 1/3 bought new and 2/3rds used. no real preference though

08-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Almost everything in my collection I have purchased used with the exception of digital bodies and two
lenses. The only reason I purchased those two particular lenses new was because I was also purchasing
a body at the time and the lens was an added impulse buy.

I have absolutely no hesitation purchasing old brass and glass used, as that equipment, if
well maintained, is built to last indefinitely. I don't have quite the same confidence with modern gear
and all its electronics, and as such am quite content to purchase modern gear as new, especially
camera bodies.
08-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've always bought camera bodies new and 35mm and APS-C lenses new - because all but my first lenses, the M lenses I got with the ME super, have been AF, and I have this worry that the more intricate the mechanism the more likely it is to have been damaged.

The only camera I bought 2nd hand was the LX, and that developed a problem with seating of the mirror leading to missed focusing

All my Pentax 67 lenses were second hand, as I could never have afforded them new and they are totally manual - but from reliable and fair dealers.
08-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back in 2010 is was buying only used. Then my financial circumstances improved and I started buying new and well as old lenses. As of today, all my APS-C lenses were purchased new; FF lenses are a mix of old and new.

Used lenses: M 20/4, K 28/3.5, K 35/3.5, K 50/1.2, M 50/1.7, A 50/2.8 Macro, F 85/2.8 Soft, M 135/3.5, K 200/4, F 17-28, FA 20-35/4, M 75-150/4.

New lenses: Rokinon 10/2.8, SMC DA 15, HD DA 21, HD DA 35/2.8 Macro, DA 100/2.8 Macro WR, DA* 300, DA 10-17, DA 12-24, DA 16-85, DFA 28-105, DA 55-300 PLM, Tamron 70-200/2.8

Because of cost and/or weight of DFA glass, I don't see myself buying any new glass any time soon. Indeed, I'm planning on pruning my APS-C lineup down to the limiteds and the PLM.

08-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The bulk of my gear is used. The most recent bodies I've bought have been new, the K5 and K3II. I did buy a new DA300 after looking at the relatively small difference in used and new price (with rebate) it made sense to buy new. I have zero issues buying used gear here on the Marketplace.
08-30-2018, 10:12 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Both, Right now all my cameras have been purchased new but my lenses are a mix
08-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
I've had more than my share of bad experiences with used electronics over the years. So far, knock on wood, I've yet to have any issues with new gear except the odd piece being dead when coming out of the box. So, I tend to buy complicated tech items (like digital cameras and modern lenses) new.
Makes sense!
Thanks for sharing!

08-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Everything is used, except the bag itself and most of the hoods. Even the camera is used.

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote

Do you buy brand new for a particular reason?

N/A

Do you like having the latest and greatest before anyone else?

Nah

Or do you not trust anyone to buy used?

This world is full of wonderful people!

Do you buy used gear for a particular reason?

Because the Takumar serie is long discontinued.
08-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mine is a mix of both. If I see a good deal on what I want then I go for it.
08-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #40
Site Supporter

It depends. My K-3 II body I bought new because I felt the price new plus warranty was worth it. I also purchased a new sigma 8-16 for $575 because it came with a $50 gift card. Everything else I own is used. Typically if I'm buying used it needs to be at least 25% or I won't buy it. I'll also buy new if a product does not have a used market yet or I can't get it for less than 25% of the cost of new.
08-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #41

New bodies but when I got my K-5II all I could afford were used lenses. I have since bought a mix of used and new.
08-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #42
Pentaxian

What's in your bag and why?
Camera, lenses, flashes, filters and inverter rings.
Also batteries and chargers, of course!

QuoteQuote:
Do you buy brand new for a particular reason?
The only thing I ever bought new for my photography gear was the DA 35 2.4, because the used price wasn't much less than the new price.

QuoteQuote:
Do you like having the latest and greatest before anyone else?
I don't know, I've never been in that situation
I could probably afford a K-1 and at least a couple of nice lenses, but my wife is very against this hobby (and sort of any hobby, really). We're also way behind our retirement savings, so no money for hobbies or play things. That is also the reason why I drive an old beat up car.
But she still gets to make some trips and buy nice things for the house. She also gets to drive something much newer, after all it's safer for her and the kids. Happy wife, happy life...

QuoteQuote:
Or do you not trust anyone to buy used?
I try to look at the warranty and returns policy... I want to be able to return it if it's not as described, at the very least.

QuoteQuote:
Do you buy used gear for a particular reason?
Price! Why else! And a lot of my lenses aren't available new.

QuoteQuote:
Do you like the discounted price?
Yes.

QuoteQuote:
Do you like meeting people in the marketplace and sharing experiences along with the purchase?
I would like that, yes.

QuoteQuote:
Do you not care about the newest release and just want to wait until the price drops in the used market?
I do care. But my hobby budget dictates that I basically be able to sell something to pay for something else. So buying and selling used things work very well for me, since basically all I have came from selling guitars and music related things.
08-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #43

Little bit mixed, but mostly new just because I can't resist.
08-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #44
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't need the latest and greatest tech. And would rather wait until reviews come out and prices drop.
I like meeting people on the forum and trading gear. Buying used gear has a different level of interaction.
The cost savings is great too!
I absolutely love gear - I've no shame admitting that. I enjoy it as much as the photography itself. But although I used to get quite excited about owning some of the latest equipment, that doesn't really interest me any more. That's not to say I wouldn't buy an all-new model in future... but I'd say it's unlikely. If I ever buy the K-3II replacement, it'll probably be once it's discontinued - so I've a few years to wait for that

My buying habits have changed over the years. I used to buy only new gear, and although I'd try to get the best price possible at the time, if I wanted something and could afford it, I'd buy it. These days, if I'm buying new, then unless it's an item I genuinely need right away, I'll hold out for big discounts, sales and close-outs. I've become a lot more cost-conscious, and patient as a result. For example, each of my HD DA Limited prime lenses was bought new at well below best current prices, but it took me a while to achieve that. I had to wait quite a while for some of them. The same goes for most of my modern Pentax glass, all bought at large discounts.

But in the last few years I've increasingly turned to buying used gear. In some cases, it's because the products are no longer available brand new. Otherwise, though, if I can make a BIG saving (30-40% or more) off the best current new price, I'll probably go for used. But I'm very, very fussy about the used products I buy. I'll only consider excellent condition items that have seen little use and were obviously well looked after. Most of the used kit I own looks very little different (if at all) to brand new. So if I'm able to find equipment in that condition at a huge saving, buying used makes absolute sense to me

EDIT: Ironically, the camera I enjoy shooting with most of all - my Samsung GX10 - is one of the cheapest digital ILCs I own. I paid GBP £99 for it and (if I remember correctly) it had less than 300 shutter actuations on it. It was, and still is, in "like new" condition. I love it most for the quality of raw files it produces, but I also get a little kick out of having so much fun from an astonishingly inexpensive camera

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-30-2018 at 12:52 PM.
08-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Most all of my lenses have been used - lots from great people here on the forum, a good amt from eBay, and a couple from Amazon. The only new ones I bought were a DA* 300, DA* 55, a DA 18-135 and possibly one of my DA-15's.

Total of 28 that I've owned - 24 or 25 of them used and really no major issues with any of them. Pretty lucky I guess.