Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mostly used.

08-31-2018, 04:18 PM   #62
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I have been shooting for a few years now. I have acquired a lot of gear, and sold a decent amount already.

ALL my critical camera gear (aside from batteries), including camera body, lenses, battery grip, filters, teleconverters, etc. has been purchased USED>

I have never bought a brand new lens or camera...
Only batteries...

I know people that REFUSE to buy used gear. They cringe when I talk about a lens I've purchased from the marketplace and am excitedly waiting for it to arrive!

What's in your bag and why?

Do you buy brand new for a particular reason?
Do you like having the latest and greatest before anyone else?
Or do you not trust anyone to buy used?

Do you guy used gear for a particular reason?
Do you like the discounted price?
Do you like meeting people in the marketplace and sharing experiences along with the purchase?
Do you not care about the newest release and just want to wait until the price drops in the used market?

I'm the latter.

I don't need the latest and greatest tech. And would rather wait until reviews come out and prices drop.
I like meeting people on the forum and trading gear. Buying used gear has a different level of interaction.
The cost savings is great too!

for me, both....

my K-50 and my first K-3 were both purchased new, but my second K-3 was second-hand...

most of my lenses are second-hand, with a couple of new/refurbished lenses mixed in...

I'll buy new if the price is right, but a generation or two older and cheaper are just fine with me - I'm not a pro, but just an enthusiast...
09-04-2018, 04:52 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have purchased a limited lens used and it legitimately arrived with food residue on the focus barrel and smudges on the front element, like someone licked the thing before sending it out...
Luckily that never happened to me.
09-04-2018, 06:10 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Camera bodies - all new, though at only 3 slr/dslr purchases since 1981, I'm not making a dent in supply or demand. When I buy, it's usually a current model, so I like the warranty and am skeptical of used bodies being sold off after only a few months of product life.
Lenses - mostly new, at least for my main lenses. Used for esoteric lenses. I recently bought a DA* 50-135 used, sort of. It was sold by Adorama via Amazon and came with a 14 day return policy and 180 day warranty. Knock on wood; so far so good.

09-04-2018, 07:07 AM   #65
Pentaxian

I have many Pentax items and the new are only:
- k-1 & k-1 II & k-r
- FA 35mm f/2.0
09-04-2018, 07:20 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Though I have purchased a few things new over the years, the vast majority of my gear was bought used.
09-04-2018, 07:37 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-30 and K-3ii, new.
DA 18-55mm WR came with the K-30, new.
Rokinon 8mm fisheye, used.
DA 55-300mm, used.
DA 35mm F/2.4, new... I think.
SMC DA 15mm Limited, used.
SMC DA 40mm Limited, used.
SMC DA 40mm XS, used.
Auto Chinon 50mm f/1.9, used.
Helios 44M 58mm f/2, used.
Lomography Daguerreotype Achromat 64mm f/2.9, new.

09-04-2018, 07:44 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mixed. Some contemporary gear I bought at a discount second hand Like New from the original owner. Some discontinued gear I bought used because it is . . . discontinued. New or used is a function of price and availability.

I infrequently buy new on 1st release unless the new item is special in some way. K-01 or K-1 or DFA*50 for instance.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-04-2018 at 04:12 PM.
09-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Almost all my gear has been bought used, the main exceptions being my initial DSLR the K200D and kit lenses, Tammy 17-50/2.8 and K-3.

I know what to look for in a used lens or camera and only very, very rarely get lumbered with a dud.

For my "main" camera, currently the K-3, I do prefer to buy new with a good guarantee period though.
09-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, it’s all used gear now 🙂

All my DSLRs have been new. Some were bleeding edge (K1, pre-ordered), some were trailing edge (K-01, came almost free with a 40xs), or somewhere in-between...

Lenses and film bodies have been mostly used, with probably 25% new. I still have my first SLR (K-1000), the only film SLR I bought new and still have.

I have a couple of cameras I’ve had overhauled. Do I get half-credit for those? 🙂

-Eric
09-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Everything I own is used. I simply do not have the money to buy the lenses I want new.
09-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Basically I buy low mileage second hand, if older gear, then in best condition possible. Both cameras I bought here on market place as well as most lenses, bought a couple lenses new, and will buy new lenses in the future.
I usually like to see how a camera goes before buying, late adopter perhaps eg the KP I'd happily buy one off the market place now if that was what I was doing, but hanging out to see what comes next and at what price, that might mean i get the KP in the mean time, but really do I really need a new camera when what I have does a very good job?
09-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #73
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . What's in your bag and why?
a mixture of " experienced " and new

Do you buy brand new for a particular reason?
my camera bodies were bought new for warranty, a number of my lenses were bought new for warranty and I found them on sale for a good price

Do you like having the latest and greatest before anyone else?
no, not really

Or do you not trust anyone to buy used?
obviously I have trusted sellers of " experienced " equipment, usually forum members but not exclusively, private and Keh.com

Do you guy used gear for a particular reason?
what I was looking for at the time and the $ issue

Do you like the discounted price?
yes

Do you like meeting people in the marketplace and sharing experiences along with the purchase?
only met one seller in person, great experience, have had great experiences dealing through the forum with all I have dealt with in the market place

Do you not care about the newest release and just want to wait until the price drops in the used market?
depends

. . .
you can see my gear by looking at the " About me " section of my profile

the cameras and the following lenses were bought new at sale prices

PRIMES

SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8

ZOOM

HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 WR

and the HD Pentax -DA AF rear converter 1.4 AW

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-04-2018 at 04:22 PM.
09-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #74
Veteran Member

I seem to be like most others here and have a mix of old and new. The DSLRs were bought new (online) but all my film cameras were bought used from bricks and mortar stores (remember those!)

The lenses are mostly used (Ebay and the Marketplace) except for the latest edition of the 55-300 (the PLM) and the nifty 50 which was bought new when they were on sale for a crazy low price a year or so ago. The Sigma macro is a bit of an odd-ball as it was discontinued stock from a store that was closing down so it was still new (and came with a bonus 7 year warranty) but had been discontinued by Sigma (at least in K mount format), as a result I got it for less than half of the MRSP!

Bags, tripods, batteries and SD cards I buy new but anything else can be a mix of new or used.
09-05-2018, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #75

My camera (K50) I bought new a few years ago and got a great deal bc a new model was coming out.

Lens I have only bought used. My telephoto lens and my "all purpose" lens I got off eBay at a fabulous price. Ive even gotten several manual lenses from Goodwill for next to nothing. While I can't photograph my toddler with a manual lens (it's like trying to photograph the wind!), I love manual for just about everything else.