Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #1

extension tubes

i there a way to build your own extension tubes?

08-30-2018, 04:51 PM   #2

I don't know why you would want to but certainly you could. You just need male and female bayonets and some way to attach tubes to them. If you want auto-tubes (with aperture lever) or KA contacts or AF then you have your work really cut out for you.

Anything is possible depending on the resources you have. 3D printing could make things simpler than machining parts by hand. You'll still need to do that if you want AF. Or gut old cameras, teleconverters, and lenses for parts.

The time and money spent you could probably just buy a good set of tubes or bellows.
08-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tubes aren't expensive, I don't think it would be worth the effort and you probably don't have the precision required for the connections.

Inverter rings are even cheaper and I find that they work well with some lenses such as the M 50 1.7.
08-30-2018, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jaq68 Quote
I have a Sears Zoom with fungus in the front element and have an old ZF10 camera. With that both I'll make a home made "helicoidal tube ext"

I think that only removing all the stuff inside the Zoom lens and attaching the mount of the ZF10 in the front will do the job.

Let's see how it goes.

08-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Basic 3 piece tube sets can be had on ebay for $10 to $20.
08-30-2018, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good chance that your local library has a 3d printer, so you can just 3d print them there if you need it in a pinch, you can find the design on thingiverse.com here: macro extension tube for pentax by jeebs08 - Thingiverse
08-30-2018, 05:29 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Simple way is to buy an old teleconverter and take the glass out.

08-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The cheap Chinese tubes screw together. You might be able to replace sections easily. Also cheap A series teleconverter can be deglassed to form an extension tube that maintains A series function.
08-31-2018, 01:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Don't know what camera you are using, if you are going to buy the tube better get one that has electrical contacts and AF shaft so that it will work with all models, mine is a de-glassed old teleconvertor.

08-31-2018, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #10
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Simple way is to buy an old teleconverter and take the glass out.

this often vignettes on FF but is fine for APS-C
08-31-2018, 03:07 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carabez Quote
I have a Sears Zoom with fungus in the front element and have an old ZF10 camera. With that both I'll make a home made "helicoidal tube ext"

I think that only removing all the stuff inside the Zoom lens and attaching the mount of the ZF10 in the front will do the job.

Let's see how it goes.
let me know how it goes
08-31-2018, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

The cheap tubes that screw together also jam together and being so flimsy can be a pig to get apart 'cos as soon as you grip them tightly they distort and jam even harder ... just my experience, YMMV
08-31-2018, 12:04 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The cheap tubes that screw together also jam together and being so flimsy can be a pig to get apart 'cos as soon as you grip them tightly they distort and jam even harder ... just my experience, YMMV
No problems at all for me. Maybe I'm babying them? I also use my DFA 100 WR more.
08-31-2018, 12:25 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
his often vignettes on FF but is fine for APS-C
Not my experience but I would assume different TCs would behave differently depending on how the glass is able to be removed.
08-31-2018, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not my experience but I would assume different TCs would behave differently depending on how the glass is able to be removed.
Since have smaller openings I'd guess. Also stacking several together might add to the issue. Of course adding some good glass back in (1.4x A rear converter) would possibly spread out the light enough to offset the tunnel effect. At the cost of some light.