Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 08:38 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roadboat24 Quote
...The 15-30 is, in my option, overpriced and problematic filter attachment...I'm going to pop the cork on a Rokinon 20mm. Seem like the best fit with my kit...
The 20mm is a good choice. You can always buy the 15-30 later if you need to add zoom and weather resistance. #LBA

08-31-2018, 10:02 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Warning: avoid buy too many k mount lenses. When buying k mount lenses, Pentax products are predered, third party products dont make any money for R.I.
So does buying used.
08-31-2018, 11:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Warning: avoid buy too many k mount lenses. When buying k mount lenses, Pentax products are predered, third party products dont make any money for R.I. For 20mm, the DFA15-30 is the lens to have.
I'm always amazed by this kind of answers.
The D FA 15-30 is the lens to have IF: 1) you got enough dough 2) you don't care about weight/size 3) the DFA is fast enough 4) AF is required.
I would like to have one, cause I like to try good lenses, but I can't afford to buy one, and I'm not even sure I would use it enough to justify the expense.
I like fast primes, and I value speed over AF (at least down to 24mm). I love to shoot close-up's with wide angles, leaving the background as blurred as possible.
I'm not a fan of extreme sharpness, though I've learned that a good level of sharpness is almost mandatory under 28mm.
Fortunately I don't need the 15-30mm to meet that condition. I guess my Pentax-A 2.8/20mm should be almost as good, and the two Samyangs (14mm and 24mm) should be in the same league. Even the tiny Pentax-K 3.5 28mm should be comparable, if used at its sweet spot.
Size is also important. I like to have the choice between fast and small, when I'm choosing which objectives to carry.
You see, having a single huge lens is not always the best solution, no matter how sharp it is.
These same concepts have been expressed in the past by many other forum users. I understand I didn't write anything new. The main reason I'm posting is your second statement. Why on earth we shouldn't buy third party PK lenses? What's wrong with that?
I don't know if you have any financial interest in Ricoh/Pentax. I don't, and I don't see why I should put their good over my own personal good.
If I find a way to spend less and get what I need/like, why should I finance the brand with my hard earned (and limited!) money?
Long long time ago I chose Pentax because of some great cameras (MX and 6x7, followed by the LX) and because of some great, relatively affordable lenses.
That brand is no more, and sincerely I'm not losing my sleep because of that. What I care for is the survival of the PK mount. If it has to be Ricoh, I'm fine with that. If it will ever get in chinese hands, I'd be as happy, as long as the Pentax brand doesn't become an empty box, and the PK mount does not die.
I own more than ten Pentax bodies (analog and digital) and a few hundreds lenses that can be readily used with those bodies, but I'm not a fanboy. I feel free to either appreciate what suits me, or criticize what I don't like.
Let's be realistic. I don't believe in miracles. Ricoh has given a few signs of life, and I expect it will continue to provide us with robust, no-nonsense cameras (with a few interesting features) for some time to come, but in the foreseeable future I don't believe they will give us the same number of quality lenses and accessories Pentax used to sell in the golden age. Many people on this forum remember that the choice was comparable with Nikon's.
This is another time, with different conditions. If Hoya didn't take over Pentax... we'll never know
Even if all the hard core Pentax enthusiasts decided to finance Ricoh with all the money available for their hobby, I don't see Ricoh becoming a major player in the optical field anytime soon.
On the other hand, if the sale of cameras goes well (and if there were no agreements with Tamron and Tokina, which I believe unfortunately exist) we could see a few more modern lenses in PKAF mount. Who cares if they are third party!
In the meantime the new 50mm seems to sell well enough... good news, but hardly a game changer.
I stick to what gives me fun and excitement. I guess I'm kind of brand agnostic
The last toy I purchased is a Soligor C/D "red P" 2/28mm in M42 mount. It's beautiful, a pleasure to handle, and kind of rare. A good old Tokina build.
I'm sure it doesn't match the sharpness of the 15-30mm at any diaphragm, but wide open has a beautiful rendering of OOF areas (which is very desirable, according to my personal taste). It's not easy to find one at a decent price. I did, and I'm happy about that. I think I'm already in love with this lens I don't see why I should save the money for a D FA instead

Last edited by cyberjunkie; 09-01-2018 at 05:25 AM.