Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2018, 03:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited on Full Frame

Anyone know how the HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited performs on the K-1? How bad is the vignetting in the corners, manageable?

I'm curious because my experience is that quite a few of the DA lenses are passable on full frame, yet I understand why they don't get a complete pass for FF compatible. For example, the DA 40/2.8 XS I find very usable in FF mode, as is the HD DA 35/2.8 Macro, as was the DA 50/1.8. With lenses that I would use more for portrait I don't mind for a bit of vignetting, I can often add vignetting myself to portrait shots anyway, it's landscape shots that I really get fussy about FF compatibility.

I'm now trying to garner some kind of database list of all the lenses that are 'sorta' passable for FF use (ie not obviously forcing you to crop mode such as the DA15 and DA21).

Cheers,

Bruce

09-01-2018, 03:26 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

SMC version wide open with K-1:

I (almost) never correct vignetting of my lenses.. I add it if needed. I donīt remember details of the edit on this photo but I can check if thatīs important to you. The hood was in place but I donīt recall whether it was retracted or not..
09-01-2018, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'm now trying to garner some kind of database list of all the lenses that are 'sorta' passable for FF use (ie not obviously forcing you to crop mode such as the DA15 and DA21).
Hey Bruce, there is already a thread for this - can't remember where though
09-01-2018, 03:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pen-A Quote
SMC version wide open with K-1:

I (almost) never correct vignetting of my lenses.. I add it if needed. I donīt remember details of the edit on this photo but I can check if thatīs important to you. The hood was in place but I donīt recall whether it was retracted or not..
No that's great to see cheers, just wanted examples

I'm a little confused tho, like I haven't seen the SMC versions but the HD variety seem to have separate hoods? HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited | B&H Photo Video

If it's like my HD DA 35/2.8 macro then a hood worsens things...

09-01-2018, 03:43 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

if I remember correctly, the HD 70 and the SMC 70 have the same hood (MH-RD49), which is detachable...
09-01-2018, 04:02 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Hey Bruce, there is already a thread for this - can't remember where though
Here it is, but I'm not sure falc is around these days to update the first summary post
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com
09-01-2018, 05:07 AM   #7
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nyone know how the HD Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited performs on the K-1? How bad is the vignetting in the corners, manageable?
Well I don't have the HD version, but other than the coatings and the coloured ring on the lens body I don't think there's a real difference between HD and smc versions.

I tried my smc DA 70 within days of getting my K-1 as it was one of my favourites on APSC. It didn't disappoint. This is a jpeg from a DNG RAW with no PP, so this is vignetting at f2.4.

The vignetting can look worse with lighter backgrounds but the example here is where I added vignetting for some reason.Free Spirit | Larger view on black (arrows, F11, click on th? | Flickr But other than crap PP the image is sharp and captured at f4.

At f5.6 there's not much vignetting at all: Orange is indeed the new black | best viewed by clicking on ? | Flickr

And another example with a lighter sky to show the vignetting at f2.4.

The vignetting can look good IMHO if the subject suits and as the linked images show the effect is not a problem with some subjects especially when you stop down.

Don't forget to check out the images on the K-1 pages here as well: PENTAX K-1 Laboratory | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING / PENTAX K-1 Laboratory | PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

For me the DA70 was worth checking on the K-1 as the obvious choice was to sell it and aim for the FA77 but I always liked the DA70 and decided after testing it that it was worth hanging onto.

Tas

09-01-2018, 05:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The hood on the da 70 (smc and hd are the same) screws in and also can be extended a little bit. It needs to be attached to use the original lens cap. If you want to use a (49mm) screw in filter you put it between the hood and the lens.
09-01-2018, 05:42 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

The DA70 performs beautifully on the K1. I have no hesitation using it. Check out my short Flickr album.

09-01-2018, 06:35 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 70 works ....if not optimally on full frame. The DA 40 works a bit better. As you see from the posted samples there is noticeable darkening of the corners easily correctable in post. More problematic is the corner softness. However for some shots this is not relevant.
09-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
if I remember correctly, the HD 70 and the SMC 70 have the same hood (MH-RD49), which is detachable...
In terms of dimensions they are the same, but the HD version bears that label in red where the SMC version states SMC, so I think they have different numbers. I have both, I bought a cheap SMC version to save my De-lacquering HD version. Stoopid I know.
If you have a K-1 and are making the choice between 70 or 77, owning neither, go for the 77 IMO.
09-01-2018, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
If you have a K-1 and are making the choice between 70 or 77, owning neither, go for the 77 IMO.
I don't think the 70 and 77 are really comparable, given the 77 costs 100%-150% more.
09-01-2018, 10:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Ah..

QuoteOriginally posted by Igor123 Quote
Here it is, but I'm not sure falc is around these days to update the first summary post
DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com
Thanks, so yeah they're saying its similar performance to the DA40 and HD DA 35, which I'd agree. There doesn't seem to be any mention of the DA 50/1.8 in there

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
The hood on the da 70 (smc and hd are the same) screws in and also can be extended a little bit. It needs to be attached to use the original lens cap. If you want to use a (49mm) screw in filter you put it between the hood and the lens.
Ah interesting, I was thinking it was a retractable hood like some of the other limiteds. So on that B&H site I linked, does the actual lens not come with a hood?! Or are they replacement hoods for sale?

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
In terms of dimensions they are the same, but the HD version bears that label in red where the SMC version states SMC, so I think they have different numbers. I have both, I bought a cheap SMC version to save my De-lacquering HD version. Stoopid I know.
I would love a FA77, but the price difference between the DA 70 and FA 77 is quite a bit, no?

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
The DA 70 works ....if not optimally on full frame. The DA 40 works a bit better. As you see from the posted samples there is noticeable darkening of the corners easily correctable in post. More problematic is the corner softness. However for some shots this is not relevant.
Exactly, namely portrait work and it's gonna be ok.

----

Has anyone got any comparison shots with hood on and without (on ff) to compare? It's quite a large difference on the HD DA 35/2.8 Macro, wondering if it's the same with the DA70...
09-02-2018, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The DA70 performs beautifully on the K1. I have no hesitation using it. Check out my short Flickr album.
I agree. I find both my DA 70/40 Limiteds work very well on my K-1. I put my K-1 on full frame and to my eyes the resultant pictures seem very good. I don't recall very much vignetting on either lens and I've been taking a lot of pics of our new grandson, using available indoor light (avoiding use of the flash) and especially using F 2.4 to F 3.5 (70) and F 2.8-F 3.5 (40) ...and don't recall vignetting as too much of a problem. If any vignetting is there ..as I would in any lens..I allow enough margin in my pictures to crop it out.

Now the idea of vignetting may not bug me as much as the next guy and so possibly I don't notice it as much...but both lenses seem very workable...on my K-1. I almost said F-1 there...I have an old film Canon F-1...I'll have to make sure I don't try to fit my 40/70 to the old Canon mount...
09-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

If it's like my HD DA 35/2.8 macro then a hood worsens things...
You don't have to pull the hood out all the way!