Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 92 Likes Search this Thread
09-03-2018, 10:05 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Yes. It gets better as you stop down and for me f2.8 is usually 100% solid. You just gotta be really careful with wide open shots, and even stopped down a bit can still be a problem. One time I can really recall was a portrait outside of a girl who was wearing a black shirt with white polka dots and there were very distracting purple circles around the dots and when I tried desaturating the borders of the dots, they still looked pretty bad and the edges were noticeably distorted.
My question is if you're stopping down to f 2.8 why didn't you just get the DA 70? I've looked at a lot of pictures from both lenses and I have the (VERY) unpopular opinion that the FA 77 just isn't that amazing compared to the DA 70 at the same focal lengths. I don't even like the FA 77 that much in general, it's very uncommon for me to really be wowed by it. I couldn't see myself spending double the money of a DA 70 when honestly I like how the DA 70 renders better.

My (potentially last) 2 cents.

09-03-2018, 10:08 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
some might say the 70 is quite clinical and the 77 has more soul
09-03-2018, 10:21 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
My question is if you're stopping down to f 2.8 why didn't you just get the DA 70? I've looked at a lot of pictures from both lenses and I have the (VERY) unpopular opinion that the FA 77 just isn't that amazing compared to the DA 70 at the same focal lengths. I don't even like the FA 77 that much in general, it's very uncommon for me to really be wowed by it. I couldn't see myself spending double the money of a DA 70 when honestly I like how the DA 70 renders better.

It *is* very good, and a bit smaller. The FA77 isn't sharp until f2.8 or so in any case. I have ended up with both.

Data: Pentax SMC-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited - Review / Test Report - Analysis
09-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I think the real question is how close do you want to stand to your subject? A bit closer, get the 43. A bit further, the 77. Don't over think it. You will end up with both.

On crop, the 77 is a bit long for me, but I do love it any way. I probably shoot the 43 more, unless I'm doing planned portraits, then it's the 77.

You could split the middle and get the DA*55?

This thread ties in with another thread, so really I'm not splitting hairs as much as it seems as I do carry a HD DA 35/2.8 Macro which has been delivering nice shots. Had I been REALLY persuaded to choose the 43 over the 77 that would lead me to be thinking to also shift the 35 macro and start to think about filling in those gaps etc.

PS I have a lensbaby 56/1.6 for I feel my 50mm focal length is also taken care of, and in a different way.

09-03-2018, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The actual FL of the DA 70mm came in at 65mm according to Pop Photo who used to test for accurate FL of lenses, which is quite common even among expensive lenses that they will not quite meet their stated FL. The Pop Photo test of the FA 77mm, however showed it to be right on. So there is a significantly greater FL for the FA 77mm in addition to the one stop of faster aperture.

One way of looking at this is that it is not redundant to own both, as the FOV is quite different between them. Especially working with APS-C, when one needs a more tele FOV, the FA 77mm does a great job. I use it often for low light situations, dusk, sunset, etc. when I am out and around to great effect, as well as for some good candid portraits, and also some nature closeups, where great bokeh is desired. At the same time, when wishing a less tele FOV with a broader background in the shot, or for a small group shot, the marvelous little DA 70mm would be just the thing. Likewise, some people like myself have both the FA 43mm and the DA 40mm, even though the FL difference is not as great.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-03-2018 at 10:47 PM.
09-03-2018, 10:51 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote

I'm not, this thread is about stopping down at widest, ie f1.8. 1.8 over 2.4 has a few advantages, better lower light, more smooth bokeh etc. However... I do also completely understand where you're coming from, and the DA70 was a consideration and in fact I enquired about it's K-1 compatibility just this week.

But it is of my opinion that the reason we don't see so many wide open shots with the fa77 (and other lenses) is because it's actually darn difficult to nail things correctly, even with AF. If it's anything like my Samyang 85/1.4 then even when shooting that at f1.8 the focal plane is incredibly thin, and you have to know when and why it should be used at that circumstance. I see lots of images and the wide open stuff is seldom used correctly imo, better shots would have been had stopping down. But... I like to know what a lens is capable of, even the ridiculously hard tricky stuff as well as the safer shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It *is* very good, and a bit smaller. The FA77 isn't sharp until f2.8 or so in any case. I have ended up with both.

Data: Pentax SMC-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited - Review / Test Report - Analysis
Looks to follow a very typical lens pattern then (no surprises there then), optimum sharpness f4, and things get better as you stop down from wide open to that point. Most lenses are like this, My Takumar 135.2/5 is actually quite a different level of sharpness from 2.5 to just 2.8, and that's why I often seek out very fast lenses, because they can be very usable just 1-2 clicks past wide open. I didn't look enough into it but I imagine that DA70 is similar and better stuff is had at 2.8 and 3.2 on it than 2.4. And so in comparison we have a 77 focal length which is probably getting to similar sharpness levels at f2 as a DA 70 is at 2.8, but that's quite a big difference in an overall shot, the FA will pop quite a bit more and have more pleasing 'professional' bokeh.

To be honest I'm not thinking it's going to trump the Sammy 85, I've shot f1.8 with that and been 'utter'ly content with sharpness. Of course I can go to f4 (higher sharpness) with it, if I did with that shot at f4 it would not have the same impact at all.

I don't mean to bring this image up again but it is an example of where shooting close to maximum widest aperture can really punch something out at these focal ranges. I guess I am just worried that DA70 at f2.4 or 2.8 is not gonna cut it for me.
09-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA70 is a great lens, but wider than f/2.4 it's rubbish
It is also not as full frame compatible as some would like to think.

09-03-2018, 11:19 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Don't worry, I took the plunge and ordered the FA77
I think you will love this lens as have the rest of us who have been using it for a while! It is very special and very unique.
09-03-2018, 11:21 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The actual FL of the DA 70mm came in at 65mm according to Pop Photo who used to test for accurate FL of lenses, which is quite common even among expensive lenses that they will not quite meet their stated FL. The Pop Photo test of the FA 77mm, however showed it to be right on. So there is a significantly greater FL for the FA 77mm in addition to the one stop of faster aperture.

One way of looking at this is that it is not redundant to own both, as the FOV is quite different between them. Especially working with APS-C, when one needs a more tele FOV, the FA 77mm does a great job. I use it often for low light situations, dusk, sunset, etc. when I am out and around to great effect, as well as for some good candid portraits, and also some nature closeups, where great bokeh is desired. At the same time, when wishing a less tele FOV with a broader background in the shot, or for a small group shot, the marvelous little DA 70mm would be just the thing. Likewise, some people like myself have both the FA 43mm and the DA 40mm, even though the FL difference is not as great.
Ah Pentax lies?!! Interesting...

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA70 is a great lens, but wider than f/2.4 it's rubbish
It is also not as full frame compatible as some would like to think.
09-04-2018, 12:09 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote

Looks to follow a very typical lens pattern then (no surprises there then), optimum sharpness f4, and things get better as you stop down from wide open to that point.
I don't mean that the lenses don't improve stopped down, just that because their apertures are different, their performances wide open don't match.

The DA70 is 'excellent' by Photozone's standards from the get go, the FA77 only from f2.8 onwards anyway.

Data: Pentax SMC-DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited - Review / Test Report - Analysis

The FA77 doesn't vignette as much, but is less sharp away from the centre.

It's the 77 I use most often, but really, the DA70 doesn't take a backward step.

09-04-2018, 12:31 AM - 5 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favourite shot taken this year so far. DA70 wide open on the KP. It's not even in focus. No one cares.

This one is in focus.

Seriously, agonising over which lens is sharper at whatever aperture is just crap.
Buy one. Shoot it. If it doesn't suit you, sell it and buy the other one.
09-04-2018, 12:46 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If it doesn't suit you, sell it and buy the other one.
all these lense will retain value, if not suitable sell them

I like it, the no nonsense approach
09-04-2018, 01:35 AM - 4 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

On FF the FA Limited 43mm pops up stuffs, the FA Limited 77mm pops up people.... and the FA Limited 31mm engraves the world
09-04-2018, 03:35 AM - 11 Likes   #29

Three Amigos wide open
FA31

FA43

FA77
09-04-2018, 03:47 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by irek83 Quote
Three Amigos wide open
wonderful series