Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One FA Limited is never enough.

12-03-2018, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

I own the 31, 43, and the 77. I love them all but my favorite of the three is the 77 although I do prefer portraits over other types of photography. Back when I was into still life I mostly used the 31. The 43 was my walk-around/casual lens for most general purpose shots.
12-04-2018, 01:21 AM - 1 Like   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Right now I'm torn between a FA28 or a FA35 just because both of those are affordable to me rather than the 31.
Hi Bruce,
I went in the same situation then you and I firstly purchase FA77, next step FA43 wich is best walk around lens for me. I would love to get FA31 for the last amigo but value of the lens is the biggest problem so I found on eBay F 28mm f2.8. Good alternative and really nice lens. I use them around 2 years and finally swap them for FA31. I love all three amigos for the analog character, size, bokeh and sharpness. I want sugest you to do the same as I. F28mm f2.8 optically and mechanicly is much better then FA 28mm f2.8, FA 35mm f2 is too close to the FA43. For final and making some chaos in your head you should think about FA* 24mm f2 wich is so magic lens, I rank this lens on the same score with FA 31. I sold this lens after purchase D-FA 24-70 and I'm still missing him. Some day I will get this gem again.
12-04-2018, 01:55 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by irek83 Quote
Hi Bruce,
I went in the same situation then you and I firstly purchase FA77, next step FA43 wich is best walk around lens for me. I would love to get FA31 for the last amigo but value of the lens is the biggest problem so I found on eBay F 28mm f2.8. Good alternative and really nice lens. I use them around 2 years and finally swap them for FA31. I love all three amigos for the analog character, size, bokeh and sharpness. I want sugest you to do the same as I. F28mm f2.8 optically and mechanicly is much better then FA 28mm f2.8, FA 35mm f2 is too close to the FA43. For final and making some chaos in your head you should think about FA* 24mm f2 wich is so magic lens, I rank this lens on the same score with FA 31. I sold this lens after purchase D-FA 24-70 and I'm still missing him. Some day I will get this gem again.
Hehe, yeah I'm getting kneedeep in the LBAFA Ltd's

I may forgo the F28 (I too noticed that reviews had the F slightly ahead of the FA), and keep saving. I have a A24/2.8 which I do think is nice, it's just tricky with MF only (for portraiture), but focal length wise it's something different to the rest and I'm wondering if I can just make do with that till the funds allow the FA31.

12-04-2018, 02:21 AM - 3 Likes   #80

Some film shots from 28mm f2.8 + MZ-3 + Tmax 400

12-04-2018, 02:44 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by irek83 Quote
Some film shots from 28mm f2.8 + MZ-3 + Tmax 400

Excellent as always, I specifically adore the tree puddle shot.
12-04-2018, 06:11 AM   #82
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
selling the FA43
whaaaaaaaaat?

Seriously, selling the 43?

As much as I enjoyed testing the 31, it's not a lens that I warmed up to. The 43, on the other hand, is a tiny, reliable, normal lens that's much more fun and natural to use than any 50.
12-04-2018, 12:56 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
whaaaaaaaaat?

Seriously, selling the 43?

As much as I enjoyed testing the 31, it's not a lens that I warmed up to. The 43, on the other hand, is a tiny, reliable, normal lens that's much more fun and natural to use than any 50.
I agree with that, and no I'm not selling it for now. I just mean that I am not a man of unlimited funds and that I have to look at my collection and see what 'could go' to afford the 31 at some point in the future, sadly the 43 might be that lens.

I can crop a 31 image to get a similar FoV to what a 43 could produce, I can't do the opposite with the 43. The 31 seems to me to be the ultimate 'landscape portraiture' lens that Pentax really produce currently, I enjoy those full bodied portraiture shots taken with the 31 that also have plenty of scene around the person. I'm probably going to try and recreate that look with the 43 by making every portraiture shot a small 2-3 brenizer shot

But I agree, I prefer the 43 FoV and the lens is tiny. It could always be brought with on any trip or any event, it's practically a lens cap! If I had all the money in the world I'd keep all three, and I aim to try and do that, it just purely depends on needs and current funds. The 31 will be a long way off purchase, a good year a way at least, plenty of time to capture some great moments with the 43 for sure

12-05-2018, 06:01 AM   #84
Pentaxian

I'm probably going to try and recreate that look with the 43 by making every portraiture shot a small 2-3 brenizer shot
That would be fun to try! My own humble attempts are with the 60-250, but I never have the patience for that kind of composition and after-the-shot work.

But I agree, I prefer the 43 FoV and the lens is tiny. It could always be brought with on any trip or any event, it's practically a lens cap!
Yep. I don't use its lens hood, mainly because I like to use it in situations where its tiny size is an advantage.
03-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Original Poster
...I'm probably going to try and recreate that look with the 43 by making every portraiture shot a small 2-3 brenizer shot
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That would be fun to try! My own humble attempts are with the 60-250, but I never have the patience for that kind of composition and after-the-shot work.

Yep. I don't use its lens hood, mainly because I like to use it in situations where its tiny size is an advantage.
Well yeah I did attempt that 2-3 brenizer with the FA43, I'm sure you will have seen the results already but if not have a peep at this small album here; Ironfest 2019 Promo Shoot | Flickr
Typically the full length body shots are the bren ones.
03-13-2019, 11:47 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K1 +FA43mm F1.9 @1.9