Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FA 43 ltd vs FA 77 ltd, Wide Open

I am torn between this two lenses, I'm looking to shoot at wide apertures (or very close to), and Iwant to know what the opinion is of which one performs better widest.
I realise the focal lengths are different, but if you're wanting to really aim for that '3d pop' feel, (which exists more towards wide open), which one does a better job, the 77 at 1.8 or the 43 at 1.9?

Gimme some sample shots at their widest!

TIA!

Bruce

09-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The FA77 is sharper wide open but has a little bit more purple fringing on high contrast areas. The FA43 is slightly softer wide open. I believe the FA43 has more pop to the images simply due to the focal length being more versatile and allowing more perspective in images.

Both are amazing lenses but if I was to own only one, it'd be the FA77. But as it stands, I've only got an FA43 and I'm happy with it (since the portrait lens is the awesome FA*85).
09-03-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
The FA77 is sharper wide open but has a little bit more purple fringing on high contrast areas. The FA43 is slightly softer wide open. I believe the FA43 has more pop to the images simply due to the focal length being more versatile and allowing more perspective in images.

Both are amazing lenses but if I was to own only one, it'd be the FA77. But as it stands, I've only got an FA43 and I'm happy with it (since the portrait lens is the awesome FA*85).
Excellent set up, sounds like you got both bases covered.

I actually found this video very helpful;

It's nice to see that he shot himself wide open with all three lenses for comparison. To me it looks like they all perform similarly in terms of sharpness when shot wide, certainly not night and day difference. Fa 77 commands the best bokeh but then isn't gonna capture that same scene volume. The 31 looks actually amazing imo, bokeh still looking gorgeous when shot wide, with the 43 somewhere in the middle of the two in terms of both resolving bokeh and framing.
09-03-2018, 03:44 PM - 7 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are a few with the FA43 wide open on the K-1. It's not as sharp as the FA77 (and nowhere near the DFA*50), but it gets the job done.

09-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have both and if you have a test in mind, I can send you some photos. Bookshelf? Brick wall? Or would you prefer some flowers?

Just took a couple of photos of dahlias. Will post later tonight

Last edited by IgorZ; 09-03-2018 at 04:08 PM.
09-03-2018, 04:15 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Both lenses are equally capable of producing a 3D image. The FA77 is one of the sharpest lenses Pentax has while still having character.

FA43 on film:

FA77 on K5:

09-03-2018, 05:21 PM - 5 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FA77 wide open. This is the Droid you're looking for @BruceBanner

Stopped all the way down to f/2.0

....and f/2.5

f/2.8

And a portraity one with the FA43 to finish off:

You really need them both

09-03-2018, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I don't know why he was having such AF difficulty with the FA 77mm in his video presentation. That has not been my experience at all. Perhaps he was using multiple AF points in AFC mode, which I've not done with this lens. I also have the FA 43mm, but not the FA 31mm. I first shot with both these lenses on film, and experienced no AF issue with either. My very first shot with the FA 77mm was a very quick portrait of a young friend while walking in a woodsy area, using a Pentax ZX-5n in "P" mode. I saw the settings the camera chose were fine so I grabbed his expression before it could change, and he said it was the best photo anyone ever took of him, even over a professional studio shot. Bokeh with the FA 77mm is outstanding. Later, with DSLR APS-C use, I got shots of a bee going flower to flower and had to nail a shot the second it would land before it could again take off. Very successful, and that with a K100D.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-03-2018 at 05:29 PM.
09-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The FA77 is very sharp wide open as others have said, but purple fringing in high contrast shots has ruined a few shots I was really counting on to come out better...
09-03-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the triplets and all are incredible. The 77 has a little more pop, but is less useful (at least the way I generally shoot) as a walk around lens. I can go all day with the 43 on, and not feel I need to change lenses. The 77 leaves me wishing I had something wider. YMMV. Whichever you decide, you’ll have magic. Have fun!
09-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I am having difficulty with Flickr so I will just upload the two shots from my computer. In my experience, that's not the best way to show photos, but can't do much about it now. I think both the 43 and 77 were back focusing. I remember adjusting the 77, but can't remember if I adjusted the 43... JPEGs straight out of camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-03-2018, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not sure I understand the focus on max aperture. Initially I tried using 1.8, but the results were never as good as slightly stopped down. Just from looking at keepers, the FA77 works best between 2.2 and 2.8 at MFD to about 12 ft. But if there is a lot of ambient light, 4.5 is still lovely.

a bright but diffused lighting at f4.5 ISO 200 because lots of other shots needed it and this opportunity just presented itself

headscarf series at f2.2

Promo shot for a friend at f2.2

On the other hand, I tend to use the 43mm for more candid street shots because it is unobtrusive. For the most part I'm trying to get as much in focus as possible and frankly, the 43mm has issues with busy bokeh. I am unafraid to shoot in bright light though.

FA43 at f5.0

FA43 at f3.5

I have used it for portraits this worked pretty well at f2.2, but you can see a relatively restrained version of the bokeh issue.

I've heard someone say (somewhere or another) that the FA43 is more a lens for reportage than portraiture and this makes sense to me.
09-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I have both and if you have a test in mind, I can send you some photos. Bookshelf? Brick wall? Or would you prefer some flowers?

Just took a couple of photos of dahlias. Will post later tonight
Don't worry, I took the plunge and ordered the FA77

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
FA77 wide open. This is the Droid you're looking for @BruceBanner

Stopped all the way down to f/2.0

....and f/2.5

f/2.8

And a portraity one with the FA43 to finish off:

You really need them both
I knew I could count on you Sandy, excellent work and excellent demonstration of it's ability. For some reason my google and flickr searches didn't come up with many shooting wide with it, or even around the f2 mark. Quite a few f4's etc (that were nice) but that didn't really help me get an idea (as I wanted to compare it to the pop of the Samyang 85/1.4).
I think flickr needs to improve, when doing searches for things like FA 77 or FA77 I think its only retrieving tags or some mention of it in the description, I'm doubtful it's using EXIF information at all to assist... :/

I think overall I am liking the 85/1.4 shots more (or of course the new DFA 50) however it's size and compactness is very attractive indeed.

Now that you've had some time with the DFA 50, are you put off my its size for what it is (ie a prime), I mean most pentax primes are teeny tiny

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I don't know why he was having such AF difficulty with the FA 77mm in his video presentation. That has not been my experience at all. Perhaps he was using multiple AF points in AFC mode, which I've not done with this lens. I also have the FA 43mm, but not the FA 31mm. I first shot with both these lenses on film, and experienced no AF issue with either. My very first shot with the FA 77mm was a very quick portrait of a young friend while walking in a woodsy area, using a Pentax ZX-5n in "P" mode. I saw the settings the camera chose were fine so I grabbed his expression before it could change, and he said it was the best photo anyone ever took of him, even over a professional studio shot. Bokeh with the FA 77mm is outstanding. Later, with DSLR APS-C use, I got shots of a bee going flower to flower and had to nail a shot the second it would land before it could again take off. Very successful, and that with a K100D.
Yeah I'm seeing some mixed reviews on AF. The official (most recent) review of the FA77 by Pentax Forums said they felt AF worked great, no problems, however a comment in the comment section alerted to the fact that it too can hunt about when shooting flowers in a bit of mild wind etc... Hmm... guess I'll have to see, certainly mixed reviews on that front.

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
The FA77 is very sharp wide open as others have said, but purple fringing in high contrast shots has ruined a few shots I was really counting on to come out better...
In your opinion does it improve at all if stopping down even just slightly (f 2 and 2.2/2.5 etc?).

QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
I have the triplets and all are incredible. The 77 has a little more pop, but is less useful (at least the way I generally shoot) as a walk around lens. I can go all day with the 43 on, and not feel I need to change lenses. The 77 leaves me wishing I had something wider. YMMV. Whichever you decide, you’ll have magic. Have fun!
I can understand that statement, I have the Samyang 85/1.4 and whilst ignoring lack of AF for a moment, it's focal length does lend itself to just one task and one task only, portraits. Luckily I have the HD DA 35/2.8 Macro as well which I find a lovely all rounder.

I have to say the 43 probably appeals to me the least, I am really impressed by some of the 31 shots I've seen...
09-03-2018, 08:13 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the real question is how close do you want to stand to your subject? A bit closer, get the 43. A bit further, the 77. Don't over think it. You will end up with both.

On crop, the 77 is a bit long for me, but I do love it any way. I probably shoot the 43 more, unless I'm doing planned portraits, then it's the 77.

You could split the middle and get the DA*55?
09-03-2018, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
In your opinion does it improve at all if stopping down even just slightly (f 2 and 2.2/2.5 etc?).
Yes. It gets better as you stop down and for me f2.8 is usually 100% solid. You just gotta be really careful with wide open shots, and even stopped down a bit can still be a problem. One time I can really recall was a portrait outside of a girl who was wearing a black shirt with white polka dots and there were very distracting purple circles around the dots and when I tried desaturating the borders of the dots, they still looked pretty bad and the edges were noticeably distorted.