Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 92 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2018, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Irek83 all three photos are good and even given the image cropping, it is aboundently clear why the FA77 rules portraiture,

09-04-2018, 04:23 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by irek83 Quote
Three Amigos wide open
good stuff there mate
09-04-2018, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #33

@Andrea K, @beachgardener, Thank you so much
@kernos it's individual point of view, some photographers likes wide angle portraits and other prefer tele portraits. For me more powerful are from wide angle lenses and in my opinion FA43 is the one with I will choise if I need stay with only one lens. All are really special but all are different, FA 31 in closer distance is the same crazy sharp wide open like a 43 and 77 but if I stand more back then get softer and then need to stop down a little bit to get a sharp enough. All tree amigos are tricky lenses and we need some time to understand how to use it. After that we can create magical images.
09-04-2018, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My favourite shot taken this year so far. DA70 wide open on the KP. It's not even in focus. No one cares.

This one is in focus.

Seriously, agonising over which lens is sharper at whatever aperture is just crap.
Buy one. Shoot it. If it doesn't suit you, sell it and buy the other one.
Bahaha, I love it!

But yeah, that is kinda what I do, buy, try, sell on. I've said goodbye to a HD DA 21 and HD DA 15 in a short space of time, and now four new lenses will be going up on the market place in the next few days

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I don't mean that the lenses don't improve stopped down, just that because their apertures are different, their performances wide open don't match.

The DA70 is 'excellent' by Photozone's standards from the get go, the FA77 only from f2.8 onwards anyway.

Data: Pentax SMC-DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited - Review / Test Report - Analysis

The FA77 doesn't vignette as much, but is less sharp away from the centre.

It's the 77 I use most often, but really, the DA70 doesn't take a backward step.

Heheh, doggo on the fence make Bruce laugh.

Three Amigos wide open
FA31

FA43

FA77
What a fantastic comparison set and such a willing model

Yep, the Fa 77 wins it for me from that 'pop' perspective, but I really like what I see from the 31. However, I think the 43 is the perfect middle man between the two so I can see why you might say that would be the one to go for if you had to choose only one.

Odd isn't it. I mean I know they are all different and suited to different tasks, but to rank them for rank sake I'd have Fa 77 1st, FA 31 2nd and FA 43 3rd, but if I was only allowed to choose just one it would be the FA 43. Yeah... i make no sense at all.

@Andrea K, @beachgardener, Thank you so much
@kernos it's individual point of view, some photographers likes wide angle portraits and other prefer tele portraits. For me more powerful are from wide angle lenses and in my opinion FA43 is the one with I will choise if I need stay with only one lens. All are really special but all are different, FA 31 in closer distance is the same crazy sharp wide open like a 43 and 77 but if I stand more back then get softer and then need to stop down a little bit to get a sharp enough. All tree amigos are tricky lenses and we need some time to understand how to use it. After that we can create magical images.
I definitely felt that way with the Samyang 85, not only to master manual focusing on focal lengths and wide apertures but also when to apply certain apertures and at what distances. I'm definitely going through that learning curve currently with the lensbaby velvet 56.

09-04-2018, 04:57 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I am torn between this two lenses, I'm looking to shoot at wide apertures (or very close to), and Iwant to know what the opinion is of which one performs better widest.
I realise the focal lengths are different, but if you're wanting to really aim for that '3d pop' feel, (which exists more towards wide open), which one does a better job, the 77 at 1.8 or the 43 at 1.9?
Both are great, but my answer is definitely the 77. I suggest you read the reviews and post-reviews article I wrote regarding the three FA Limited. The 77 is my favourite.
09-04-2018, 05:01 AM - 6 Likes   #36

@BruceBanner FA 43 is a fantastic lens, especially on K-1. This is only one lens which was made by Pentax for Leica.

---------- Post added 09-04-18 at 05:11 AM ----------

09-04-2018, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are all brilliant lenses. In the right hands, magic can be made.

Worry less. Shoot more.

And don't give up on a lens until you have shot it thoroughly and deliberately. You'll miss the DA21 and DA15.

09-04-2018, 01:28 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Worry less. Shoot more.

And don't give up on a lens until you have shot it thoroughly and deliberately. You'll miss the DA21 and DA15.
Truer observations and comments have never been made regarding these fine Pentax lenses. Even when I've had a fine Pentax lens sit for a while, sometimes years, then tempted to think I really should get rid of this because I don't use it much, I tend to drag my feet when it comes to selling. And then one fine day I start visiting a certain place, or get involved in certain activities, or encounter some other reason for that lens to be just the ticket! Then I think- wow, am I glad I have this wonderful lens!
09-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Worry less. Shoot more.

I did have both for quite some time, I really enjoyed the DA15 more, but being a K-1 user it wasn't being utilised as more as I thought I might (it was permanently attached to the KP). It's not that they were bad lenses or anything, I just felt they weren't for me. Personally however they never wowed me that much, not like the HD DA 35/2.8 Macro did (and the DFA 100). Some lenses you just fall in love with immediately (that wasn't the case with the Samyang 85 either, that took time to build a loving relationship ). I wonder what my initial impressions of the FA77 will be today...

---------- Post added 09-05-18 at 06:34 AM ----------

@BruceBanner FA 43 is a fantastic lens, especially on K-1. This is only one lens which was made by Pentax for Leica.

---------- Post added 09-04-18 at 05:11 AM ----------

Excellent shots again.

It's not always easy to tell which lens is being used from your pictures because I feel you have really mastered them well. I take it with the 43 you are having to get quite a bit closer to the subject for the portrait shots such as these examples, 77 you can have a more comfortable distance...

---------- Post added 09-05-18 at 06:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Truer observations and comments have never been made regarding these fine Pentax lenses. Even when I've had a fine Pentax lens sit for a while, sometimes years, then tempted to think I really should get rid of this because I don't use it much, I tend to drag my feet when it comes to selling. And then one fine day I start visiting a certain place, or get involved in certain activities, or encounter some other reason for that lens to be just the ticket! Then I think- wow, am I glad I have this wonderful lens!
T... You'll miss the DA21 and DA15.
I am just never going to have the financial means to continue adding and building a lens collection like some others. Selling is a necessity in order to fund the new glass, it's a constant wheel of sell buy sell, or in this case buy then sell (4 lenses lol) as it was a pricey one (my most expensive lens purchase to date).
I never get anxiety over a lens purchase when it's replacing others, but I absolutely debate for days over whether to buy this lens or that if it's something that is going to be an addition to the set and not replace
09-04-2018, 04:59 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am just never going to have the financial means to continue adding and building a lens collection like some others. Selling is a necessity in order to fund the new glass, it's a constant wheel of sell buy sell, or in this case buy then sell (4 lenses lol) as it was a pricey one (my most expensive lens purchase to date).
I never get anxiety over a lens purchase when it's replacing others, but I absolutely debate for days over whether to buy this lens or that if it's something that is going to be an addition to the set and not replace
That's very pragmatic of you, Bruce. If you can stick to second hand purchases with 'lesser' lenses until you get where you're going, it'll minimize the loss each time you upgrade.

Looking at your pics, you've got high standards and aspirations, and a particular look you're striving for, it probably all leads to the DFA*85, DFA*50 and DFA*35 rather than the f2.8 pro zooms.
09-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That's very pragmatic of you, Bruce. If you can stick to second hand purchases with 'lesser' lenses until you get where you're going, it'll minimize the loss each time you upgrade.

Looking at your pics, you've got high standards and aspirations, and a particular look you're striving for, it probably all leads to the DFA*85, DFA*50 and DFA*35 rather than the f2.8 pro zooms.
Thanks for those kind words clackers I just really like shooting wide open

Well for me, first came the K-1, then I got a wedding offer, so then I thought I must have a backup body, but funds were tight so I settled for a KP instead of a second K-1, and i also rationalised it might be good to get both crop and ff bodies to maximise choices and lens combos/different FoV's etc.
And then during that first wedding (and subsequent other high stress jobs such as photo pit at a concert) I encountered the buffer issue. So then I realised how important and handy it was to have two cameras, when one maxes out I can put it down temporarily and switch to the second, and just basically go back and forth like that till the moment is over.
And so I then pondered if I really wanted to go towards zooms at all. They're very expensive, and whilst a 24-70 and a 70-200 pretty much covers all bases, you are stuck at f2.8, and between two cameras sporting primes you can get better low light capabilities as well as lesson the weight and load and also of course just that really wide open punchy look that some 2.8's might struggle with (or indeed need to push to end of that spectrum to achieve a similar effect, which might mean moving yer person around a lot for it as well as trickier to nail the shot (due to FL shake and weight of the lens).

So yeah, I do like my primes and my experience after the Samyang 85/1.4 (my largest lens to date that sometimes wouldn't easily go in a pouch!) I'm quite thankful for the low weight and size foot print they offer.

I actually feel pretty done with lenses for now though. The KP will sport the HD DA 35/2.8 Macro and the K-1 the FA77/1.8 or... the other way around to offer even more versatile FoVs'. (I do have some other lenses for the other focal lengths, but you get the jist...
09-05-2018, 04:11 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
On FF the FA Limited 43mm pops up stuffs, the FA Limited 77mm pops up people.... and the FA Limited 31mm engraves the world
... and the 40mm doesn't scare away people
Each one has its own shortcomings though.
Especially on full frame (that's what matters to me).
I'd love to own them all, but I'm not certain the investment would be justified, considering the lenses I already have.
So I'm fine with the optics I already use (DA 40mm and FA 77mm) and wait till I can find the other two FA's at a price I deem reasonable. I am afraid it won't happen anytime soon.
I'm more interested in the 31mm cause, although not a perfect lens, it seems to have more "personality" than the 43mm.
I'd be happy to go for the 55mm instead, but it seems that the release of the D FA* has not brought down the price yet.
I have many great MF lenses around the same focals, but I'm fully aware that in some circumstances AF is almost indispensable.
This is the reason I bought the 77mm. It has two huge advantages vs MF vintage optics with similar bokeh/rendering. It's AF and it's SMALL.
No other lens packs so much great bokeh in such size/weight!
It fringes, it hunts in AF at close focus with low illumination, but it never disappoints me. Portraits are gorgeous.
Before choosing which FA Limited to buy, I suggest to consider if there are other cheaper options that could serve the same purpose, and which of them would really fill a "hole" in the current lens arsenal.
The 77mm is the most likely to be considered non redundant. Few PKAF portrait primes, none as small
The 43mm and 31mm have more alternatives that can serve the same use, with the same (or better) max aperture
09-05-2018, 05:19 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Pentaxian

I wonder what my initial impressions of the FA77 will be today...
It's going to be love at first sight.

Same reasoning here. Now that I've got all my bases covered, when I buy a new lens it's a replacement for a lens I'm selling (like recently, sold the DA21 to get a FF equivalent with the 20-35).

I do that too! I try never to "settle" (and never have, so far, except maybe that 20-35). So far I've been loving my kit, and it has served me well.
09-05-2018, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I'd love to own them all, but I'm not certain the investment would be justified, considering the lenses I already have.
So I'm fine with the optics I already use (DA 40mm and FA 77mm) and wait till I can find the other two FA's at a price I deem reasonable. I am afraid it won't happen anytime soon.
I'm more interested in the 31mm cause, although not a perfect lens, it seems to have more "personality" than the 43mm.
I'd be happy to go for the 55mm instead, but it seems that the release of the D FA* has not brought down the price yet.
I have many great MF lenses around the same focals, but I'm fully aware that in some circumstances AF is almost indispensable.
This is the reason I bought the 77mm. It has two huge advantages vs MF vintage optics with similar bokeh/rendering. It's AF and it's SMALL.
It fringes, it hunts in AF at close focus with low illumination, but it never disappoints me. Portraits are gorgeous.
Before choosing which FA Limited to buy, I suggest to consider if there are other cheaper options that could serve the same purpose, and which of them would really fill a "hole" in the current lens arsenal.
The 77mm is the most likely to be considered non redundant. Few PKAF portrait primes, none as small
The 43mm and 31mm have more alternatives that can serve the same use, with the same (or better) max aperture
With the Limiteds, at least the FA Limiteds, you can not think in terms of focal length or maximum aperture. Trust me.
09-05-2018, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
That was the major factor swaying me for the Fa 77 (which is in my hands now ). I suspect I will miss my Samyang 85/1.4, from what I have seen I think it actually can do certain shots better than the Fa77, however it's weight and size and mf nature means it has limited scenarios of use, shots will and have been missed with it mounted on my K-1, so I am willing to take a 20% step back in optical performance to gain a significant advantage in all other areas