Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2018, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
My Sammy is now for sale, I have to recoup the cost of the FA77, however I have my eye on the Sammy 135 for another day
(
Good luck on the sale. The FA77 works fine for groups of flowers and for single flowers there is always extension tubes.

As for the 135mm, do look at the F/FA 135mm 2.8 also. Autofocus and a rendering that has similarities to the FA77

09-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
My question is if you're stopping down to f 2.8 why didn't you just get the DA 70? I've looked at a lot of pictures from both lenses and I have the (VERY) unpopular opinion that the FA 77 just isn't that amazing compared to the DA 70 at the same focal lengths. I don't even like the FA 77 that much in general, it's very uncommon for me to really be wowed by it. I couldn't see myself spending double the money of a DA 70 when honestly I like how the DA 70 renders better.
Because I tested the 77mm side by side with the 70mm in the shop I bought it from and found out what this guy said below:

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
some might say the 70 is quite clinical and the 77 has more soul
And it was overcast and indoors when trying these lenses out so purple fringing was not evident in my samples.
09-09-2018, 02:06 PM - 5 Likes   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My first proper portrait shot with the FA77;

f2
09-09-2018, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am torn between this two lenses, I'm looking to shoot at wide apertures (or very close to), and Iwant to know what the opinion is of which one performs better widest.
I realise the focal lengths are different, but if you're wanting to really aim for that '3d pop' feel, (which exists more towards wide open), which one does a better job, the 77 at 1.8 or the 43 at 1.9?

Gimme some sample shots at their widest!

TIA!

Bruce
Personally, I think the 77ltd is sharper centrally (esp stopped down f2-f2.8).
Add to that, it also has stronger contrast and sharpness falloff off the center at larger apertures and shallower DOF for similar framing which add to a '3d' look.
It behaves much like an older 50mm lens and sharpens up to the edges at f5.6-f11

The 43ltd isn't my favourite on FF (I liked it much more on aps-c).
It is a reliable walkabout lens, but on FF it does not have as shallow DOF as a 50mm to give that subject isolation look.
Its also less contrasty as the 77ltd and sharpness is more even.

The problem with the 77ltd is purple fringing in high contrast areas (eg. rim light on a subject).
Though many 85mm and fast lenses (of various brands) can suffer from it too.

09-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #65
Pentaxian

My first proper portrait shot with the FA77;

f2
What a lovely, well done portrait.
09-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
What a lovely, well done portrait.
Thanks les.
12-02-2018, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks les.
I've been enjoying this thread again and I have to agree with Les that last portrait (your wife?) is lovely.

12-02-2018, 12:58 PM - 4 Likes   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I've been enjoying this thread again and I have to agree with Les that last portrait (your wife?) is lovely.
Yeh Mrs Banner

I now have the FA43 as well, I enjoy them both and use for different types of portrait work.

Some FA43 examples;

Some FA77;

How I approach things with the two lenses;
  • If I feel I want a context to the single portrait, some background details or information about where the person or subject is I use the FA43
  • If there is more than one person I tend to use the 43
  • If I want primarily a head and shoulder portrait, not fussed about the context of where they are I use the 77
  • If I want strong sharp eye focus and even part of the portrait head/face in oof I use the 77.

There are times when the two can be very similar, such as the example above of my daughter outside wearing 'cat makeup' vs the ballet studio shot. Each shot is pretty much a head and shoulder portrait, framed similarly yet using different lenses.
12-02-2018, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh Bruce, you are on that slippery slope.

I started with the 77 for portraits I was doing. Then decided to get the 43, which I use the most of all my Limiteds. Eventually I had to add the 31, just to make sure the trifecta was complete. Each has their own strengths, which no other lens readily compares.

Great work btw!
12-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote

I started with the 77 for portraits I was doing. Then decided to get the 43, which I use the most of all my Limiteds. Eventually I had to add the 31, just to make sure the trifecta was complete. Each has their own strengths, which no other lens readily compares.

Great work btw!
Thank you. Full disclosure, I fully intend to own a FA31, in fact in some ways I see the FA43 as also a stop fill gap to owning the FA31, but it's just so damn pricey that getting one will take awhile, and in the meantime shots do need taken...

I'm currently looking at getting a FA28/2.8 to tie me over till perhaps this time next year where hopefully I will be in a position to own a 31.

I'm also interested in having all three of them because at a later date I may wish to become a hybrid shooter and use these lenses on a film camera.
12-03-2018, 05:49 PM - 2 Likes   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote

Great work btw!
It really is a slippery slope. I started with the 43 and 2 years later the 77. All my buddies had all 3 and I too wanted the 31, but at that time the price was crazy at USD $1316 brand new so I delayed getting it. Looked around for a 2nd hand since and in end of 2015, managed to get a mint copy of the 31 from a buddy who gave up Pentax to go m43.

At that time, I used the 43 and 77 on APSC and when I got the K1, it became my favourite lenses to use. Recently, I managed to get a near mint copy of the FA*85 too.
12-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
It really is a slippery slope. I started with the 43 and 2 years later the 77. All my buddies had all 3 and I too wanted the 31, but at that time the price was crazy at USD $1316 brand new so I delayed getting it. Looked around for a 2nd hand since and in end of 2015, managed to get a mint copy of the 31 from a buddy who gave up Pentax to go m43.

At that time, I used the 43 and 77 on APSC and when I got the K1, it became my favourite lenses to use. Recently, I managed to get a near mint copy of the FA*85 too.
For me it's about funds I currently have and jobs I have up and coming. I could actually see me funding the FA31 by selling the FA43, just as long as during it's absence I have either the FA31 before hand or no jobs lined up that might need the FA43.
I think between a FF and crop sensor, a FA31 and FA77, you have quite a lot of choices of focal length (FoV equivalents) combos; 31mm (FF), 46.5mm (KP+31mm), 77mm (FF), 115.5mm (KP+77).
12-03-2018, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me it's about funds I currently have and jobs I have up and coming. I could actually see me funding the FA31 by selling the FA43, just as long as during it's absence I have either the FA31 before hand or no jobs lined up that might need the FA43.
I think between a FF and crop sensor, a FA31 and FA77, you have quite a lot of choices of focal length (FoV equivalents) combos; 31mm (FF), 46.5mm (KP+31mm), 77mm (FF), 115.5mm (KP+77).
My son uses the Limiteds on his KP and he is loving them
12-03-2018, 07:15 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, the FA 43mm f/1.9 LTD is the precise normal front-to-back perspective FL for full-frame use. This gives a scene a very normal, realistic "look". It is also a very versatile FL, much more so than a 50mm lens.

The FA 31mm f/1.8 LTD comes very close to filling that same role in APS-C use, and being more versatile than one of 35mm would be. So it can straddle both formats especially well.

It is great as an all-around wide-angle lens for full-frame use. Wide angle but not too wide. Traditionally, photographers who wanted a wide angle lens for all-around general use in a prime lens, have had to choose between one of 28mm or one of 35mm. Often, they owned both. The FA 31mm LTD comes in right in the middle at a very satisfying point, and is very compact for such a fast, f/1.8 alternative.

The FA 35mm f/2 is a close alternative for FF use. But it is not the versatile equivalent for APS-C use, instead representing a field of view similar to a 50mm f/2 on a FF body.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-03-2018 at 07:28 PM.
12-03-2018, 07:49 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Well, the FA 43mm f/1.9 LTD is the precise normal front-to-back perspective FL for full-frame use. This gives a scene a very normal, realistic "look". It is also a very versatile FL, much more so than a 50mm lens.

The FA 31mm f/1.8 LTD comes very close to filling that same role in APS-C use, and being more versatile than one of 35mm would be. So it can straddle both formats especially well.

It is great as an all-around wide-angle lens for full-frame use. Wide angle but not too wide. Traditionally, photographers who wanted a wide angle lens for all-around general use in a prime lens, have had to choose between one of 28mm or one of 35mm. Often, they owned both. The FA 31mm LTD comes in right in the middle at a very satisfying point, and is very compact for such a fast, f/1.8 alternative.

The FA 35mm f/2 is a close alternative for FF use. But it is not the versatile equivalent for APS-C use, instead representing a field of view similar to a 50mm f/2 on a FF body.
You're not wrong. Right now I'm torn between a FA28 or a FA35 just because both of those are affordable to me rather than the 31. But I think I will just make do with my A24, 43 and 77 and save save save!