Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2018, 07:01 AM   #1

Uneven aperture blades on FA 50 1.4

Hi, I noticed that the aperture blades on my FA 50 1.4 look uneven beginning around f4-f2.8. Photo attached. Can anyone with experience confirm if this is a problem? I am going to be selling the lens and never noticed this before. I want to determine if there's a simple way to correct this or not. If there's no easy method of fixing it, please let me know what would be the most honest and accurate way to describe the impact that this issue has so that I can fully disclose this information when I sell it. Thank you kindly.

09-06-2018, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

There's nothing wrong with it. Many lenses will have slightly uneven closing of the blades due to manufacturing tolerances and a certain amount of free "play" in the mechanism. It typically varies copy to copy, and can even vary shot to shot. Yours is extremely minor compared to some. Nothing to worry about

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-06-2018 at 07:47 AM.
09-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Just because its not 1000% symmetrical doesn't mean there is a problem.
I had a Pentax-F 50mm 1.7 that isn't even either. It was bought NEW in the box.
I returned it to the store I bought it in Tucson and they agreed to replace it.....the replacement wasn't perfect either so I kept it.
Its aggravating , but I just learned to ignore it as its a great lens.
09-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
Great. Thanks for the responses, guys! So would it be truthful to state that this is characteristic of the lens and does not cause any noticeable affect to image rendering? I personally don't see any affect to image quality.

09-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RiverKayaker Quote
Great. Thanks for the responses, guys! So would it be truthful to state that this is characteristic of the lens and does not cause any noticeable affect to image rendering? I personally don't see any affect to image quality.
It's not even characteristic of that specific model. It's simply common across a wide range of lenses. I'm a stickler for honest advertising, but I wouldn't even point this out to the potential buyer... As I said, compared to many lenses, it's extremely minor - really, it's negligible.
09-07-2018, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's not even characteristic of that specific model. It's simply common across a wide range of lenses. I'm a stickler for honest advertising, but I wouldn't even point this out to the potential buyer... As I said, compared to many lenses, it's extremely minor - really, it's negligible.

Thank you for the perspective sir. I much appreciate your comments. Have a nice weekend.
09-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RiverKayaker Quote
Thank you for the perspective sir. I much appreciate your comments. Have a nice weekend.
You're most welcome, and the same to you

09-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

See how they close in the Volna-9

And the interesting effect that it causes in the background highlights

09-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cabessius Quote
See how they close in the Volna-9
That's a great effect, but not really what the OP was talking about

There are numerous lenses (including several Soviet models, but others too) with unusually-shaped apertures when stopped down a bit, but it's the uneven shape the OP was concerned about (however, as I stated, unnecessarily so)...