Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #1

How to identify Vivitar Series 1 lens mount?

Hello all,

I saw yesterday a Vivitar Series 1 lens for sale in a thrift store. I suddenly realised that I did not have the knowledge to allow me to identify the lens mount type. With Pentax lenses I have no problem: the prominently printed text "Pentax" is a strong indicator .

So my question is: How can I identify the Vivitar Series 1 lens mount type? From my online research it seems that if there is an "A" setting on the aperture ring this will indicate that it is a Pentax mount. But it also seems this is only true of some lenses in the Vivitar Series 1 range, and that the absence of the "A" does not imply that the lens is not a k-mount.

Moreover, I have no idea of whether such a lens was intended to fit Nikon, Canon, Minolta/Sony or Olympus cameras.
I post here an informative link: Vivitar 70-210 Series 1 Macro Zoom Lenses - Mark Roberts Photography

Thanks in advance for any information regarding my question.

09-06-2018, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #2
UMC

Photos: Gallery
From the link you posted I derive you are talking about a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm lens. Just for the records, there are numerous other Series 1 lenses from the past and even contemporary Samyang lenses get branded as Series 1.

However, there are at least 3 different main variants of the 70-210, in particular there are 6 versions. The older variants with better reputation were 70-210/3.5, the newer, presumably Cosina made are 70-210/2.8-4. If I were you, I would take a camera or a lens with me and compare the mount.

However, Vivitar used to designate the mounts with imprinted abbreviations mostly on the aperture ring:
  • "PK" or "K" for plain vanilla K-mount,
  • "P/K-A" for K-mount with A-contacts,
  • "R-P/K" for the Ricoh-variant of the K-mount,
  • "PK-A/R-PK" or "PK-A/R" or "P/K-A R-P/K" for K-mount with A-contacts and Ricoh pin,
A heads up for the Ricoh variants of the K-mount: Pls spend some time on an internet research for the keyword "Ricoh pin"

Another heads up: Some lens makers designated the Konica AR-mount as "KAR" - which frequently gets confused with Pentax KA.

Last edited by UMC; 09-06-2018 at 03:06 PM.
09-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
From the link you posted I derive you are talking about a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm lens. Just for the records, there are numerous other Series 1 lenses from the past and even contemporary Samyang lenses get branded as Series 1.

However, there are at least 3 different main variants of the 70-210, in particular there are 6 versions. The older variants with better reputation were 70-210/3.5, the newer, presumably Cosina made are 70-210/2.8-4. If I were you, I would take a camera or a lens with me and compare the mount.

However, Vivitar used to designate the mounts with imprinted abbreviations mostly on the aperture ring:
  • "PK" or "K" for plain vanilla K-mount,
  • "P/K-A" for K-mount with A-contacts,
  • "R-P/K" for the Ricoh-variant of the K-mount,
  • "PK-A/R-PK" or "PK-A/R" or "P/K-A R-P/K" for K-mount with A-contacts and Ricoh pin,
A heads up for the Ricoh variants of the K-mount: Pls spend some time on an internet research for the keyword "Ricoh pin"

Another heads up: Some lens makers designated the Konica AR-mount as "KAR" - which frequently gets confused with Pentax KA.
Thank you very much for your response, UMC. I shall go and take another look at the lens.

I don't actually want it for myself: the thrift store Manager just asked for my advice in valuing it. I told her I didn't really know either the value or the mount type. (She didn't know anything about mount types....). She is hoping I shall do some research which is what I am doing here. I didn't note the actual zoom range but it had a macro setting and was a really hefty piece of metal and glass. I think the long focal length must be around 200mm.

For the record, I suggested that she priced it at $20 (US). I don't think I am far out because at that price both the purchaser and the store should get a good deal.

Thanks again!
09-06-2018, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . .[*]"PK-A/R-PK" or "PK-A/R" or "P/K-A R-P/K" for K-mount with A-contacts and Ricoh pin,[/LIST]. . .
here is some info for you:

" Several third party lens manufacturers produce or has produced lenses with a K-mount. There are no issues with current third party lenses in K-mount, but for older lenses there are two traps to watch out for:

The infamous "Ricoh pin". Where Pentax created the "KA" mount in order to support Program and Tv exposure automation, Ricoh had to create their own variant, which has a protruding pin placed in a somewhat unfortunate location, namely in the exact spot where Pentax years later placed the autofocus drive shaft. Such a Ricoh lens will get stuck when mounted on a Pentax autofocus body - the Ricoh pin will get lodged in the drive shaft and prevent the lens from being removed without deployment of finesse, patience and tools.

The other trap is the shield that protects the aperture stop down lever. The image to the left shows what the shield should look like and does look like on a genuine Pentax lens. Some older third party lenses have a much larger shield which prevents mounting the lens on a Pentax DSLR. Current third party lenses (Sigma, Tamron, Rokinon, etc.) have correctly shaped shields (or no shields) and pose no problem. "

Read more at: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

09-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #5
UMC

My pleasure...

Whenever the "what mount is it" question comes up, people tend to direct you to: SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide
This link maybe helpful in some cases, but it puts too much emphasis on rare, almost alien mounts from a long forgotten analogue past and it doesn't give you a quick distinction of "Canon FD, Minolta MD, Olympus OM, Konica AR, Pentax PK, Fuji FX, etc."
Regarding the price: Some time ago there was a real hype for the Vivitar Series 1 70-210s, people easily payed over 100 US$ for the Tokina and Komine variants... 20 dollars sounds like a real bargain.
09-06-2018, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is also this, for identifying who made a Vivitar lens...

Vivitar serial numbers - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

The three desirable versions of the 70-210 were the first three made by Kiron (Ver 1), Tokina (Ver 2), and Komine (Ver 3). Some would say the first two are the most desirable. Later versions made by Cosina are not as desirable.
09-06-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The high values are also for lenses in good shape.

Thrift store lenses tend to have uncertain provenance, so unless it has been checked as good, $20-30 for a 70-210 isn’t out of line, in my opinion, especially in an uncommon mount...

-Eric

09-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you ALL! How complicated these issues can be.
09-06-2018, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #9

There's this classic list of cult classic third party lenses: (PDF)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwi...gUdQKL4GSMsStw
09-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There's this classic list of cult classic third party lenses: (PDF)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=2ahUKEwi...gUdQKL4GSMsStw
Many thanks! That's a really thorough description of such lenses. I shall save it for future reference.
09-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If you spot an older vintage lens, like the Vivitar Series 1 you mention, and it has an "A" on the aperture ring, 19 times out of 20 (maybe more) it will be in Canon FD mount. Those cameras (especially the AE-1) were massively popular at that time, and most aftermarket companies were running full time to meet demand for Canon compatible lenses.

Pentax K mount aftermarket lenses are out there, but much fewer in number - and they only had an "A" on the aperture ring after the Super Program arrived. A few years later the world wanted autofocus, so finding KA type aftermarket lenses is even harder because they weren't around for that long.

The only other often-seen lens mount that put an "A" on the aperture ring, was Konica AR mount. Konica marked their own lenses "EE" and later "AE" for the auto setting, but some aftermarket companies may have used a plain "A".

But yes, old lenses with an "A" on the ring - my mind immediately goes to Canon FD unless proved otherwise.
09-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #12

Original Poster
However, Vivitar used to designate the mounts with imprinted abbreviations mostly on the aperture ring: "PK" or "K" for plain vanilla K-mount, "P/K-A" for K-mount with A-contacts, "R-P/K" for the Ricoh-variant of the K-mount, "PK-A/R-PK" or "PK-A/R" or "P/K-A R-P/K" for K-mount with A-contacts and Ricoh pin,
I note your comment. Thank you.

Based upon what UMC said earlier (see above quotation) when I go back to the thrift store to re-examine the lens I shall be:
- looking closely for associated text on the aperture ring
- taking one of my Pentax lenses with me, for comparison purposes
09-07-2018, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
I note your comment. Thank you.

Based upon what UMC said earlier (see above quotation) when I go back to the thrift store to re-examine the lens I shall be:
- looking closely for associated text on the aperture ring
- taking one of my Pentax lenses with me, for comparison purposes
take a camera body too and get a photo to post

that might help others id the mount
09-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here’s a LINK to everything you ever wanted to know about the five iterations of the Vivitar Series 1 70~210 ZOOM. The website owner is / was primarily a Pentax user at the time he created this page.
09-07-2018, 08:41 AM   #15

They produced for a wide number of mounts. Indicated in text at the end of the barrel near the mount - e.g. O/OM (Olympus OM mount) .