Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Or this forum's own Javier Gutierrez (he hasn't posted here in a while)
Better known as @jgredline.

Steve

09-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then there is Stanislaw A. Malek @bejsam on twitter also with a zenfolio account The guy uses a Ricoh GRII and until I found out about the one meter auto shutter I wondered how he avoided getting punched out.
09-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oh_9000 Quote
Hi all

There is something that I have been interested in exploring recently. That is to walk city streets and take portrait-kind-of-shots of strangers doing their normal day to day stuff, some sort of street portrait, showing their standard attitude and expressions when arguing or talking to someone over a phone etc, obviously without knowing that I am shooting them so only the scene - background, foreground and time of the day - is my choice but subject is completely random and unpredictable. Hope it does not sound too creepy.

I am thinking of which lens would be the one that can do this. I believe there is a fine line between a need to be far away (limited room in cities) and being too close (getting unwanted attention). I shoot with K3ii & the longest lens I have at the moment is 70mm ltd, but definitely need longer to do what I am after. I am also thinking it should not be very big and heavy. What focal lens? It is an experiment and as such I would not invest in a zoom telephoto for $1k. Maybe an old small sized manual 150mm? Maybe the pentax 100mm macro, which would be 150mm on k3 and is quite versatile? Do I actually need (want) auto focus?

Happy to hear experiences, ideas and suggestions!

Cheers guys
What you are talking about here is candid portraiture, or candid people shots in general. The idea behind such candid photography is the photographer is unnoticed, so the subjects' expression is unaltered from that which is affected by the circumstances engaged in. Therefore distance and a longer FL are important. This you must decide from your own working habits and also the lighting conditions you might face. This type of photography can be interesting, and sometimes tell a story, capture a special moment, or some kind of general photojournalistic social commentary, perhaps life in general within a certain environment.

If 100mm is enough, your own suggestion for the DFA 100mm f/2.8 macro is a good one. I have it myself. It is remarkably compact for a 100mm f/2.8 lens, and its front element is so recessed, you can easily get by without a lens hood. Its AF is not all that slow if you are working all in the telephoto range of distance. It is only when going from near to far and back that AF is somewhat sluggish. Build quality is excellent, IQ is great, it has WR, and you get a very fine macro lens to boot. Right now I noticed BH is running a big discount for this lens, and it would be a great time to pick up a top-notch macro WR lens.

If you don't need f/2.8- the DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 is an excellent candid portrait grabber. I have used it for that when at a social gathering with great success. My hosts loved the results. For longer FL, even the lowly DA 70-200mm should be quite good for such use, and is very small and light.
09-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
distance and a longer FL are important
No. You can do it up close and personal. The key thing is (as you put it): "the photographer is unnoticed".

09-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #35
Forum Member

For a longer focal length but compact, then you could go F or FA 135mm if you need autofocus. If manual focus is ok then the A 100mm 2.8 is very compact.
09-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Since you've been working with your DA 70mm LTD but have found it too short, if wanting a zoom lens, the DA HD 55-300mm WR would give you lots of working range also. Both versions are pretty compact when not extended, the PLM version the most so (if your camera will accept the PLM), but the older one should be good too. The older one can keep to f/4-4.5 out to 200mm. Quality-wise, they are quite good.
09-08-2018, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Generated by http://tools.rackonly.com

175mm on m43 30 yards maybe? Right angle viewer helped.