Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2018, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Rikenon that Oakes is offering looks like it fits every parameter you've set. Not a lens I'm familiar with, but the owner-user ratings look really good. I had a 50mm f1.4 Rikenon when I had a pair of Ricoh XR-M bodies. Beautifully made lens mechanically, but I thought the optics were mediocre to poor, not nearly as good as my ancient 50mm f1.4 M42 Takumar. The f2 Rikenon is clearly in a different league. A long search for a more compact f2 lens of 50~55mm will probably net you no more than one or two mm = insignificant.

09-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
That's where my crazy requirements come from, namely "f2 or faster" and "needs to be decent wide open". A lens that isn't that good until f4 isn't an advantage over what I already own.
As a general rule - especially with older lenses - performance wide open is rarely stellar (and where that is the case, it won't come cheap Some might consider the centre of frame performance acceptable wide open, but softness will typically increase quickly as you move away from dead centre. Stopping down is usually essential to get acceptable performance across the frame. For example, while my FA50/1.4 can take artistically pleasing photos wide open, it really needs stopping down to at least f/2 (and preferably f/2.8) for decent performance.

For this reason, IMHO, you should really aim to buy a lens that's at least a stop faster than you intend to shoot at, so you can stop down a little...
09-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Does it have to autofocus? If not, what about an M42 lens like a Takumar with an adapter? The 55mm f/2 is a sweet lens that looks great wide open. You should be able to get a good one for $50. Only question - is it too big when mounted on an adapter? The lens itself is right at 2 inches deep and two inches across.
09-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whoa, this thread is blowing up fast. I already have an M 40 2.8 and I like it quite a bit. This is going on a film camera that cannot control lens aperture. DA 40's aren't going to work here. I want another stop of light grabbing. That's where my crazy requirements come from, namely "f2 or faster" and "needs to be decent wide open". A lens that isn't that good until f4 isn't an advantage over what I already own.

A 35mm f2 that is the smaller than my 50 f1.4 would be great but I don't think that exists. If it does I don't think it's in my price range. K 55mm f2 is almost a full centemeter longer than what I'm seeing for the the Ricoh P/non-P 50 f2's (Ricoh XR isn't nearly as small so it's out of the running).

Seems like the solution is still Ricoh's options with a preference for the non-P.
Here is the extra Ricoh Rikenon P 50mm 2.0 on my XR-10.
Its only 1 1/8" thin ! I know of no 50mm lens any smaller.
Im selling this one for $27 shipped if interested.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix S2000HD  Photo 
09-07-2018, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Neuse River Sailor Quote
Does it have to autofocus? If not, what about an M42 lens like a Takumar with an adapter? The 55mm f/2 is a sweet lens that looks great wide open. You should be able to get a good one for $50. Only question - is it too big when mounted on an adapter? The lens itself is right at 2 inches deep and two inches across.

FYI: The M to K adapter adds zero to the size of an M42-mount lens attached to a K-mount body. The adapter fits inside the lens mount of a K-camera because the registration distance (=lens mount to film or sensor surface) is identical on all M42 and K mount lenses.
09-07-2018, 07:41 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax-m 50mm F1.7 seems to be the obvious choice here, Both cheap and thin and great IQ. I like focussing better than with the Pentax-a primes.
09-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Addendum:

Pentax-M 50/1.7 = 31mm from the flange, 49mm filter
Rikenon-P 50/2 = 29.5mm, 52mm filter

I took a couple seconds with each lens on my Ricoh XR7 just to refresh my memory of how each handles and my preference is for the Pentax. The focus ring grip nubbins on the Rikenon-P are too few and not continuous.
...and a quick phone-cam shot to show both lenses on Ricoh XR7 bodies. In case, it is not obvious, the Pentax-M is smaller overall.

A close look at the Rikenon will show the paucity of nubbins in the area of the distance scale.

Steve
09-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #23
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

... paucity of nubbins...

09-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hrm. I had it in my head that the M 50 1.7 would be larger than the Ricoh. The Ricoh's have this reputation of being just tiny. Steve, that's a very useful picture, thank-you for sharing. And it's great that you took that with XR7's as that's what I'd be using, at least for a while, as I may go looking for something smaller eventually.
09-07-2018, 08:11 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The A 50 1.4 is the same general dimensions as the M 50 1.4, right? I've already got one of those...

I'm trying to get a film camera & lens combo that is unobtrusive as possible for use when outdoors, like cycling, and want something that's easy to get out of a bag quickly.
Hmm, I bike 3-4 times a week with my KX and K 55mm, which is a larger lens than my A 50 1.4, and I've never had a problem with the camera being obtrusive. I've even biked with my Topcon RE Super and 50 1.4 and hood, which is a huge setup and it has never given me problems. What camera are you putting the lens on? You might get more milage out of buying a Pentax ME (if you don't mind aperture priority). It's the smallest 35mm SLR if I'm not mistaken, and tiny.
09-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hrm. I had it in my head that the M 50 1.7 would be larger than the Ricoh. The Ricoh's have this reputation of being just tiny. Steve, that's a very useful picture, thank-you for sharing. And it's great that you took that with XR7's as that's what I'd be using, at least for a while, as I may go looking for something smaller eventually.
My pleasure

Steve
09-07-2018, 08:19 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and a quick phone-cam shot to show both lenses on Ricoh XR7 bodies. In case, it is not obvious, the Pentax-M is smaller overall.

A close look at the Rikenon will show the paucity of nubbins in the area of the distance scale.

Steve
Hmmm....that 1.5mm kills it ! Oh well......I tried.
09-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Right now I'm using a Ricoh XR7. I may go looking for a mechanically control camera like a Cosina CS-3 or similar but that's down the road. I'd love a black MX but I don't want to pay what they go for in good condition.
09-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Right now I'm using a Ricoh XR7. I may go looking for a mechanically control camera like a Cosina CS-3 or similar but that's down the road. I'd love a black MX but I don't want to pay what they go for in good condition.
Well if you're patient you can definitely find a ME for less than 50$, or a ME Super for maybe 75$ if you want full manual control. You can always use a ME with the 100 shutter speed and just use the aperture ring if you want more manual control.
09-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Don't want an ME; dial for shutter speed control > push buttons.

I think I'm on the hunt for an M 50 1.7.