Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Using ND filters

Hello Folks,
I have the Pentax 24-70, and Lee Foundation Kit with sever Lee ND filters. I have never used ND filters, and would like to manually dial down down the shutter speed. What is the best way to set up my K-1 to do this?
Thank you,
Terry

09-08-2018, 10:46 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Get exposure without ND. Put on the ND and adjust your exposure to compensate.
You can use manual mode.

Or just leave in Av mode and let the camera set the exposure for you.
In Live view, the K1 does a great job at allowing you to see the image on the screen. Much better than you might be able to do through the viewfinder even with a 10-Stop ND filter.
Also works great when you have screw-on filters and worry about bumping the focus.

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 01:50 PM ----------

FYI, if you're ND is so dark you're getting exposures beyond 30 seconds, put in Bulb mode and hit the Green button.
This changes from normal bulb mode, that stays open as long as you hold the button, into a long-timer mode that can be set up to 20 minutes.
09-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Get exposure without ND. Put on the ND and adjust your exposure to compensate.
You can use manual mode.

Or just leave in Av mode and let the camera set the exposure for you.
In Live view, the K1 does a great job at allowing you to see the image on the screen. Much better than you might be able to do through the viewfinder even with a 10-Stop ND filter.
Also works great when you have screw-on filters and worry about bumping the focus.

---------- Post added 09-08-18 at 01:50 PM ----------

FYI, if you're ND is so dark you're getting exposures beyond 30 seconds, put in Bulb mode and hit the Green button.
This changes from normal bulb mode, that stays open as long as you hold the button, into a long-timer mode that can be set up to 20 minutes.
I didn't realize that I adjust exposure after putting in the ND filter. I thought you get exposure first, and leave it alone, only changing the shutter speed.
Terry
09-08-2018, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just screw on the ND filter I think I need and set the camera on live view. Which aperture I need, is dictated by how much I want in focus. And I don't use it to get a correct exposure. I shoot landscapes so in most shots the aperture is F9 (on my K-1 and wide angle lens.) I also leave the ISO on 100. So I only use the shutter speed for the correct exposure. Up to 30 seconds I have the camera in manual and the live view with histogram provides me the feedback to arrive at the correct exposure. It the exposure is over 30 seconds you can't use the manual mode anymore and I switch to Bulb mode. Then the picture on the live view is useless in providing information for a correct exposure. Because there is no shutter speed selected the scene is illuminated as much is possible. What you see, is not wat you get. But live view is still useful for composition purposes. I then guess the exposure based on the available light and my experience shooting in those conditions. And I chimp & fire of some test shots. And when the exposures are getting too long I switch to a less dense ND filter.

Off course I alway's use a tripod and a wireless remote. In the drive modes I use mirror up to prevent vibrations from the mirror coming up. And just before I take the picture I put the camera out of Live View. That is my workflow for long exposures. But ND filters can also be useful to control the light in other shooting scenario's when a high shutter speed is not available. For instance when you use a flash. But I don't have any experience whit that kind of use. I hope this helps!

Edit: I didn't read Amoringello response well enough and didn't now about the green button trick. Thanks for that!

Last edited by Fries; 09-08-2018 at 12:50 PM.
09-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You said it already, manual mode, put your ISO to the lowest setting, aperture where you want it for the right DOF, and do the rest with your shutter speed. Tripod is a must.
09-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
put in Bulb mode and hit the Green button.This changes from normal bulb mode, that stays open as long as you hold the button, into a long-timer mode that can be set up to 20 minutes.
How cool is that!. I did not find this in the K1 Manual...

Edit... Just found the additional PDF pages for update 1.3 and 1.4 that explains .

Last edited by Roadboat24; 09-08-2018 at 12:09 PM.
09-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't realize that I adjust exposure after putting in the ND filter. I thought you get exposure first, and leave it alone, only changing the shutter speed.
Changing the shutter speed DOES change the exposure.

With the K-1 (and K-3II) you can use liveview and get a decent idea of the image and achieve focus with the ND on and thus use the camera's meter with the ND on to achieve correct exposure. But if you are using the optical viewfinder only then it will likely be too dark to focus with the ND on. Hence the recommendation to set exposure and focus first then put the ND on and adjust the speed per the number of stops the ND is changing the exposure.

Either system works. I find on a tripod it is easier (for me) to just set the filters the way I want and use liveview to compose, focus and set the exposure. YMMV.
09-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Terry
Whatever is comfortable. Also depends what you're trying to do.
If exposure isn't very long, I often just slap on the ND and start taking photos, adjusting exposure until the results look good to my taste.
But as you get into multi-minute exposures, the cycle of guessing and being wrong becomes less fun.

Once you know the proper exposure without the ND, it takes only a few seconds to figure out what would give the same exposure with the ND.
One shot and done.

09-08-2018, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #9

amoringello, Fries and ramseybuckeye said it all. Same as Roadboat24, didnt knew about the green button trick - really cool. Seems like i am selling timer cable release & triggertrap remote :-)

when you focus before and attach filter later, do not forget to double check the focusing afterwards.

as was suggested it is easy to adjust the times according to the filter strenght from head (or just count the clicks on camera, if i am not wrong you can set them either to 1/2 or 1/3 of full step). I think that the lee big stopper also comes with a exposure chart.

Last edited by slivo; 09-08-2018 at 12:46 PM.
09-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slivo Quote
amoringello, Fries and ramseybuckeye said it all. Same as Roadboat24, didnt knew about the green button trick - really cool. Seems like i am selling timer cable release & triggertrap remote :-)
I don't know if those releases have the capability, but one thing the K1 cannot do is long exposure interval photography. (i.e. 20 - 2 minute photos).
It can do multiple exposure where each exposure is added up into one, but it won't keep the individual shots.
So the automatic triggers might still have some value.
09-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #11

You are right. I've seen a nice article about using multi exposure for situations when you do not have ND with you.
09-08-2018, 01:47 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow guys! Thank you all. I have a grasp on it now, and ready to try it out.
Thank you,
Terry
09-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a simple way to determine exposure while using ND filters. Just multiply exposure time w/o filter by ND value of filter eg if you have ND8 (ND32, ND100, ND400) multiply exposure by 8 (and respectively by 32, 100 or 400).
09-09-2018, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slivo Quote
You are right. I've seen a nice article about using multi exposure for situations when you do not have ND with you.
As an aside, I have experimented with combining both an ND filter and multiple exposures to get more of a horsetail effect rather than the more usual smooth cream effect.

100% crop...

Last edited by jgnfld; 09-09-2018 at 06:22 AM.
09-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I put my ND filter on the camera, camera in Manual mode, ISO to lowest setting, and Aperture to something like F16 or higher F stop number if needed (F22 for example). If I am not shooting longer than 30 seconds Manual mode will be sufficient, and I will change my Drive mode from Single frame shooting to the 2 Second wait time mode. You can place your ND on the camera before you start shooting, since you will be able to put the camera in Live View mode and view the scene and a meter which will help you select the necessary setting, In this case being the shutter speed if you have already set the other two. When you meter, you may want to focus on the area of the scene which you feel is most moderately or best lit in the scene, then you can select the shutter speed which will cause that area to meter correctly (and use that setting when you shoot). Then just focus on the shot you want to get with the camera on the tripod, make sure your viewfinder is covered to prevent stray light from making its way into the camera, press the shutter button and clear your hands away from the camera (avoid contact). I cut off the end of small dark socks, for example dark baby socks or something similar from a dollar store or Wal Mart, and use them to cover my viewfinder instead of having to use the plastic viewfinder that comes with the camera (usually). Though the viewfinder will give you a good idea of what you are shooting when you can see it (for example not glared by the sun), the histogram of your image(s) will tell you an evaluation of what your images are doing as far as containing light. Note that with a 3 stop ND you may be able to see through the viewfinder enough to compose shots, but after you get up to a 6 or 9 stop nd filter, then you are almost certainly going to have to resort to the using the Live View mode screen as I explained above.

Shooting using ND filters can be very helpful on bright days and also in any light when you are seeking artful effects. If you use Bulb Mode to shoot longer than 30 second exposures, which is the limit for Manual mode, you may want to use a wired remote (no batteries, what I use) or some type of wireless remote if you have access to one. Good luck.