Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2018, 10:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Power Zoom Switch just Broke, Gosh Darn it!

A few years ago I bought a 28-80mm FA Power Zoom. My dream of using the Power Zoom special effect with my PZ1p were just crushed when I picked up the camera with the lens attached, and the "switch" came off.

09-10-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm not sure how useful any of the PZ features really are, but indeed those switches seem to be very fragile. I've had to super glue mine back on one of my lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2018, 10:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well, one thing I read was that it would zoom the lens one way while the photo was being taken. I just wanted to see how it looked.
09-11-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
Well, one thing I read was that it would zoom the lens one way while the photo was being taken. I just wanted to see how it looked.
That is accurate. That feature was fun to use at night with lights.

09-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That is accurate. That feature was fun to use at night with lights.
Was that one of the features that only worked on certain film bodies?
09-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Was that one of the features that only worked on certain film bodies?
The zoom during an exposure. You could set it to go from short to long or vice versa. It did this using power zoom automatically during exposure when selected.
09-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The zoom during an exposure. You could set it to go from short to long or vice versa. It did this using power zoom automatically during exposure when selected.
Right, that was what I thought it did.

But does that functionality work on more than the PZ series?

09-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Right, that was what I thought it did.

But does that functionality work on more than the PZ series?
I don't know. I only used it on pz-1.
09-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I know the MZ-S has got the contacts for the power zoom, but I don't own one of those. I have played with manual zooming and city lights, though. I might get one one day. *Sigh in LBA*

09-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
I know the MZ-S has got the contacts for the power zoom, but I don't own one of those. I have played with manual zooming and city lights, though. I might get one one day. *Sigh in LBA*
Well, the MZ-S could be considered a cousin of the PZ series. If I remember correctly, it too has all of the power zoom functionality.
09-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Switch broke on mine too. It was never a well regarded lens. The FA 24-90 was a much better proposition.
09-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm not sure how useful any of the PZ features really are, but indeed those switches seem to be very fragile. I've had to super glue mine back on one of my lenses.

Would there be any instruction how to do it in a safe and correct way?

I just had the same issue with FA* 28-70mm and now I'm wondering how to fix the plastic switch without making any harm to the lens. (The problem is that the tiny protrusion on one side seems to be broken, so the switch won't just stay in position and keeps coming out.)
09-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Would there be any instruction how to do it in a safe and correct way?

I just had the same issue with FA* 28-70mm and now I'm wondering how to fix the plastic switch without making any harm to the lens. (The problem is that the tiny protrusion on one side seems to be broken, so the switch won't just stay in position and keeps coming out.)
Same exact thing happened to mine. I just put a little but of clue around the edges of the plastic and it's been on just fine since then. I don't expect to use the switch at all, but it should be functional.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-16-2018, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Same exact thing happened to mine. I just put a little but of clue around the edges of the plastic and it's been on just fine since then. I don't expect to use the switch at all, but it should be functional.
It happened while I was outside, so I'm not even sure if I gathered all the parts.

09-16-2018, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
It happened while I was outside, so I'm not even sure if I gathered all the parts.

I think you've got them all. The square metal part goes under the button (just flip it over), and then the big plastic part goes on top.

Adam