Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
SMC Pentax-M Stiff, Very STIFF Aperture Ring

I have a very nice copy of this lens, but the aperture ring is quite stiff and very hard to adjust.

So, I took off the back mounting plate, and, SHAZAMM ! the aperature ring is OK.
Then, I place the mounting ring back on, and it is too tight again.

Once I got the mounting plate, and little shim off, there is no obvious way to adjust or dissasemble from there.

Any guidance, appreciated.

- Troll Rick

09-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Which SMC Pentax M?
09-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #3

Obviously something isn't put together right or out of kilter. Check with the lens disassembly database to see if the lens is question is covered. It could lead to clues on how to put it together correctly or where the problem lies.

Pentax Lens Disassembly Database - PentaxForums.com
09-11-2018, 09:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Usually for the M series, when the mount is off, you can then pull the aperture ring off. But don't do that yet. There is a ball bearing trapped between the ring and the lens body. Usually for the M series, it's where the orange diamond focusing mark is. A spring in the lens body is pushing it against teeth in the aperture ring's inner surface. You can slide the aperture ring off inside a bag so the ball bearing doesn't shoot off into space. They are tough to find after that.

Once you get the ring off, clean up the old dried grease and possibly grit on the ring and lens body. Also the recess for the ball bearing. You don't need to add very much grease back to the ring to get it to work. If you want a lens for video, don't reinstall the bearing, so you can change apertures without a click. Reassemble and it should be fine for another few decades.

09-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Which SMC Pentax M?
SORRY, SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4
11-26-2018, 08:19 AM   #6

I'm having the same problem with my lens - was there a fix for this? Or do you know what the source of the problem was?
11-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by footyphotobeats Quote
I'm having the same problem with my lens - was there a fix for this? Or do you know what the source of the problem was?
Same advice as the original poster got. look up a video for instructions and take the thing apart

11-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Same advice as the original poster got. look up a video for instructions and take the thing apart
...or pay someone to do it for you.

Lens disassembly requires a few special tools, not the least of which is a set of JIS cross-point screwdrivers. The screws on the lens are not Philips-head and use of a Philips screwdriver carries a significant risk of stripping the screw head. The set at the link below are of excellent quality (lifetime warranty) at a decent price too.

JIS Driver Set - iFixit

(...no relation to ifixit or Moody Tools...)

Steve