Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2018, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K300/4 Tripod mount, quick version

Recently someone mentioned the DSLRKit Tripod Mount A009 was only $20 on Amazon, and specs suggested this would work on my K300/4. So I gave it a shot and it works. The K300/4 seems to be deliberately designed so it can't take a mount, with possibly the widest aperture ring on any lens right where an attachment would go. The white lens alignment button is in the way of the remaining area. I used to think I'd make my own, then I looked at knockoffs meant for other telephotos, but never did. For this one to fit, I had to pry out the white button - it's just glued in. I think you could avoid that by modifying the ring but that's work. Anyway, the ring goes right on after removing the button. As you can see, the lens is still front-heavy. The base of the foot has a couple of hex screws and could be swapped for a longer part to fix that. The ring is lined inside with plastic so it doesn't damage the lens.

09-14-2018, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Stick a K1 on the back and it will stop being front-heavy... 🙂

-Eric
09-14-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K300, and have been wondering about a tripod mount. Is it solid? I ask because it doesn't appear to have much of the lens to grab onto.
09-14-2018, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's why the lens looks deliberately designed to not take a mount. There's a 7.5mm space for this ring to attach, fortunately with some machined grooves to grip the ring. The ring has plastic inside to assist grip and prevent damage. It seems well designed and secure enough on the lens to me. The ring is twice as wide so there is a gap. The other places to attach a mount are the aperture ring or DOF scale, which I think are thinner metal, and all different diameters so you'd need different rings. I agree that it's not ideal, I just think that's as good as this lens allows.

I forgot about mounting the camera. That does help.

09-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
That's why the lens looks deliberately designed to not take a mount. There's a 7.5mm space for this ring to attach, fortunately with some machined grooves to grip the ring. The ring has plastic inside to assist grip and prevent damage. It seems well designed and secure enough on the lens to me. The ring is twice as wide so there is a gap. The other places to attach a mount are the aperture ring or DOF scale, which I think are thinner metal, and all different diameters so you'd need different rings. I agree that it's not ideal, I just think that's as good as this lens allows.

I forgot about mounting the camera. That does help.
I appreciate the answer. 7.5mm isnít a lot, but thatís a solid part of the lens and I believe should be enough to hold well. Iím going to have to get one to mount on mine also.