Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

screw mount lens aperture stuck..

my takumar 135 f2.5 broke over the weekend.. i was sitting and just playing with the aperture ring going back and forth in a monotone manner, when all of a sudden it stopped going full lock, now i just go between 2.5 and somewehre between 4 and 5.6

good thing is, thats what i usualy shoot at, but now i'm debating if i should bother fixing it, or if its even fixable?

09-21-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you try your own advice in your signature " if it doesn't work , hit it......"
09-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
my takumar 135 f2.5 broke over the weekend.. i was sitting and just playing with the aperture ring going back and forth in a monotone manner, when all of a sudden it stopped going full lock, now i just go between 2.5 and somewehre between 4 and 5.6

good thing is, thats what i usualy shoot at, but now i'm debating if i should bother fixing it, or if its even fixable?
Hmmm. . . that's exactly what would happen if the auto/manual switch were halfway between "auto" and "manual". . .

EDIT: I guess I should clarify. If the switch is set halfway between "auto" and "manual", the aperture won't stop down all the way, but the aperture ring will still turn.

Last edited by troyz; 09-21-2008 at 10:18 PM.
09-22-2008, 04:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the aperture ring does not move at all in auto, and only moves in that short range in manual, but does not spin through in any position

09-22-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem is getting to the aperture adjusting mechanism, which is mostly near the mount end. Most Takumars have a one-piece mount that doesn't allow any access to this mechanism. To get to it, the lens must be disassembled from the front - not total disassembly, but close to it.

All* of the 135mm f2.5 Takumars have a nice feature that makes this considerably less tedious. They unscrew in the middle. Focus to the minimum distance, grab the protruding barrel in one hand and the mount end in the other, and turn the mount end clockwise. The front lens group comes right off, in my experience with little trouble.

You would still have to remove the focus ring (mark its position before you start to maintain infinity focus), probably the distance scales and aperture ring (watch for the bearing and don't lose it). Then you can get to some screws (probably 3)on the body of the lens that will allow the mount end to be removed. Then your problem will be revealed, hopefully.

I think it's worth fixing because it's a great lens, worth an hour of repair time, and probably something simple once you get there.
*I haven't actually owned all of them, but it worked on 2 Super-Takumars, 1 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar and even the Takumar Bayonet. The SMC Pentax (K) version also unscrews.
09-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks! i'll have something to do tonight.

also i found out that the front lens group unscrews awhile ago when i tried to take off the lens hood which i screwed on a little too tight!
10-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well, i finaly took the time to dig deep

and deep did i dig! i pretty much ended up disassemblign the entire lens down to the last screw.

turns out the auto-man switch was held on by two screws, that, i guess, overtime loosened and caused the aperture lever to have limited movement.

after much anger and frustration of putting it back (had to enlist the help of a tylenol bottle... for support :O)

and getting the infinity focus marker right, i put it all back together and the lens works perfectly.

the inside glass has a bit more dust now i tried my best to keep it cleen but there was ALOT of grease...

anyway, my super takumar collection is well on its way to being complete...

10-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

That is a really cool collection.

Congrats on doing the job yourself.

10-20-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
That is a really cool collection.

Congrats on doing the job yourself.
i was amazed to find how simple these lenses were put together (to a point)

and i didnt even have the right tools, someone slightly more clandestine than me and some really nifty tools might have had a slightly better (and cleaner) time

like an L-shaped tweaser that can pick up microscopic shit,

also those special fork-like tools to unscrew the lenses

ALTHOUGH, diagonal pressure using a small flathead screwdriver has so far worked all the time (on a number of lenses)
10-20-2008, 07:50 PM   #10

Say, how about some more info?

Can I ask you to list that collection you have? Nice photo of them all but its hard to pinpoint the exact lenses.

Also can you rate them on say a 1-5 scale? A "1" being a "sorry I bought this" and a "5" being a "only rip this from my cold dead fingers" range...

Thanks!

Max
10-20-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
with the exception of the 85, all are "super takumar"

28 f3.5
35 f3.5
35 f2.0
50 f1.4
55 f1.8
135 f3.5
135 f2.5

and the "super-multi-coated" 85 f1.8

the 135 f2.5 and the 85 are by far the most stellar, images are so crisp i get cuts on my eyes just by looking at them.

the 50 and the 55 have gottent he least use (no idea why) but when i did use them i didnt have any beef with any of them.

again you dont shoot brick walls at wide open, so what some may report as "soft" is very subjective.

i havent used these lenses too much so i wont venture into specifics, but overall i am quite happy with this collection so far.

the biggest pain the butt is probably changing them, and focusing, since i dont have a katz eye yet.
10-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #12

Thanks!

Great collection of classic Pentax glass.

Well done!

Max
10-20-2008, 09:45 PM   #13

Another question if I may...

If you were held at gun point and had to decide between the 135 and the 85 which would you choose?

Would you be basing this decision on the crop factor of the DSLR you use? Another way of asking this would be if you were using a film camera or a FF digital which lens would you choose?

Thanks,

Max
10-20-2008, 11:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i find more use for the 85mm field of view in my current shooting style more so than 135

so if this was FF i guess i would be reaching for a bit more often.
01-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #15

Nice photo of the collection.