Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #1

72mm CPL recommendation for 16-85mm?

Hi,
I recently acquired the 16-85mm...and so far I'm loving it!
Since I have a feeling that this will become my new "every day" lens, I'm thinking about outfitting it with a CPL.

I know that this is a bit of a tricky thing with wide angles, so I wanted to see what the general opinion on using a CPL with this lens is.

Also, I'd love recommendations for specific ones that don't necessarily break the bank...is the Hoya PRO1 useable at 72mm without vignetting (as it's not "ultra thin"...)?

Thanks,
R

09-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would be extremely careful in using a CPL filter at wide angles. On APS-C, I'd consider that anything less than 35mm, but you may be able to go wider without problems. It depends on the shot, your angle to the sun, and your subject. For example, blue skies shot at wide angle with a CPL filter are generally a no-no - you'll find that some areas of the sky are much darker than others.

I think you could get some great use out of a CPL with this lens, but you need to use it in the right situations, and at the right focal lengths. I certainly wouldn't leave it fitted to the lens at all times, as you'll risk spoiling a lot of shots (potentially without realising it, as it's not always obvious when you're merely reviewing shots on the rear screen).
09-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've done some research on a Hoya polarizer. It is the "Hoya 72mm DMC PRO1 Digital Circular Polarizer Glass Filter". It is probably the same one you mentioned. It seems to have good ratings.
09-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sorry if this is too basic

but we have to start somewhere

Polarizing Filter Basics
An article explaining the photographic uses and effects of a polarizer
By bdery in Articles and Tips on Jul 14, 2014

Read more at: Polarizing Filter Basics - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

09-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Hoya HD series are excellent. The HD series goes up to HD3 I think but the plain HD filters are fine. They have much higher transmission than traditional circular polarizers like the Hoya Pro Series and the HD coating is very resistant to environmental insults. For a "slow" lens like the 16-85, the higher transmission characteristics are a real help. They are also very thin and I can confirm that it works even at the widest setting. I agree that at 16 the polarizing effect can be hard to control but I screw it off if it is a problem. The rest of the time, it stays on the 16-85 and serves as great protection too.
09-16-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've had the Marumi DHG Super Circular P.L.D for a few years. It's excellent. While the Hoya HD worked well for me, but when I needed a larger size 82mm for the DFA 24-70mm f2.8, I did some research and settled on the Marumi. Here is one coherent article from Lenstip.

The authoritative Roger Circala at Lensrentals authored another fine article last year.
Hope this helps.

M
09-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #7

I posted a similar question a couple of years ago. The information may be a little dated but could still be useful. Here is a link.

I ended up getting a Hoya DMC Pro1 and have been happy with it. It seemed to be a good compromise between price and quality. I posted some some sample images in the other thread.
09-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I've been using CPLs from Breakthrough Photography lately. A bit pricey but very good quality with no colorcast.

09-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
I've been using CPLs from Breakthrough Photography lately. A bit pricey but very good quality with no colorcast.
I picked up two of their neutral density filters. They are really good glass. I'm not a big fan of aluminium filter rings, I've had far to many of them bind. The Breakthrough rings have good knurls on them.
When I was looking for a polarizing filter, a nice person here (That's you, David "clickclick") pointed me to this article.

Polarizing filters test 2015 - Introduction - LensTip.com

I found it quite helpful.
09-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Logic says that you will need a thin CPL filter on a WA lens otherwise it will vignette but even standard size CPL filters vary in depth size so that is not always the case, althogh the safer option is to get a thin one.

I have a standard size INCA brand CPL (from Germany) in 77mm and which, on my Pentax 12-24 lens only vignettes at 12 mm. Once at 15mm it is fine. The quality is also excellent and it does not have any color cast which sometimes can be an issue. I bought that cheap second hand.

Filters is one area where you can really save money busing second hand. After all, they don't wear out and any scratches will be obvious.

Last edited by Theov39; 09-17-2018 at 08:26 PM.
09-18-2018, 03:03 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I picked up two of their neutral density filters. They are really good glass. I'm not a big fan of aluminium filter rings, I've had far to many of them bind. The Breakthrough rings have good knurls on them.
When I was looking for a polarizing filter, a nice person here (That's you, David "clickclick") pointed me to this article.

Polarizing filters test 2015 - Introduction - LensTip.com

I found it quite helpful.
The X4 line of filters use brass frames.

I have a 95mm X4 CPL for my 15mm Irix. No vignetting at all. Just have to be careful how it's used in order to prevent sky banding.

09-18-2018, 07:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The X4 line of filters use brass frames.

I have a 95mm X4 CPL for my 15mm Irix. No vignetting at all. Just have to be careful how it's used in order to prevent sky banding.
Well then I'm happy as that was what I bought. For some reason I thought the rings were aluminum.
09-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well then I'm happy as that was what I bought. For some reason I thought the rings were aluminum.
From what I've read, only the slightly less expensive X2 line uses aluminum frames. The X4 line uses brass for the ring.
09-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian

From what I've read, only the slightly less expensive X2 line uses aluminum frames. The X4 line uses brass for the ring.
Their website agrees with you.