Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2018, 11:35 PM   #16
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelvandal Quote
Of course!! It didn't click in the moment haha.
Hi Pixalvandal

There are variants all over the world
There no escaping them..

Dave

09-17-2018, 12:33 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What happens if you use a FF compatible teleconverter with the 10-17 on the K1?
09-17-2018, 01:06 AM   #18
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

From what I see the Irix performs very, very well on the K-1. I have no personal experience, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelvandal Quote
To be honest I was leaning towards the 10-17. Even though it's not FF compatible, it's just so much fun!
It covers FF perfectly well from 15 to 17mm, has a slight vignette at 14mm - and needs severe cropping by the time you reach 10mm. But still, 15mm fisheye is seriously wide on FF.

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
An alternative worth to consider IMHO is the DA15mm Ltd. It is a winner on the K-3 and I read posts suggesting good results on the K-1. The lighter weight and the AF might make a difference....
On APS-C it is definitely a winner. It's so tiny that there's never a reason not to bring it. Wonderful contrast and flare resistance. A gem of a lens.

On the K-1 it requires quite a bit of cropping. You can get a bit more than APS-C size out of it, but not nearly the full frame of the K-1. Shooting in 1:1 crop can work reasonably well, I think, but I still prefer other lenses for wide work on the K-1. (My compact alternative for ultra-wide on FF is the old A20/2.8.)

So, even though I have never used the Irix, I know I will not give up the 10-17. It's very wide for being so compact and light.
09-17-2018, 01:58 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
What happens if you use a FF compatible teleconverter with the 10-17 on the K1?
Thinking about that makes my head hurt.

09-17-2018, 02:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I would find it impossible to let either one go, rectilinear and fisheye are just so different. Not just in the results, but also in the subject matter that they are useful for IMHO.

But I understand yours is a financial(?) issue as well. In that case I would keep the DA10-17. You can always defish the images if you want to have a rectilinear result. Lightroom even does that automatically once you activate its lens profile. Adding fisheye distortion to the Irix images is possible too of course, but the DA10-17 will give you some zoom the Irix won't. You might want to check whether the defished images from the DA10-17 live up to your IQ expectations first.

Wim