Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bonovox Quote
I'll be posting some photos in the next couple of weeks.

Hey mate, any initial feelings or comments on the lens?
I'll be basing my own decision on this lens partly on what you think of it

I'll also be hassling them for the price you got as well ;-)

09-25-2008, 05:46 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My initial thoughts are that I'm happy with picture quality - to my eyes it seems sharp throughout the range and has pleasing bokeh.

How it compares to the tamron - can't say! But I do think the difference has been overstated - remember the Tamron got 8.5 and the sigma 8.0 out of 10 in a subjective test, which is hardly worht mentioning.

What IS worth mentioning is how much I love the near-silent autofocus that the HSM offers. It brought a "WOW!" reaction from me.

Overall, I'm definitely happy with my purchase - I'm hoping I'm allowed to take it in to the Football Stadium tonight (with a small monopod) - conditions of entry to ban "professional photographic equipment", but surely a pentax doesn't fall into that category

P.S. It was actually camerawarehouse (not dcw) that had it for $949: http://www.camera-warehouse.com.au/ but I rang up Paxtons (who have more of a physical presence and long-standing reputation), and they were happy to price match for me.

Last edited by bonovox; 09-25-2008 at 06:15 PM.
09-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,
I need some advice deciding between these two - basically a "what would you do?" question.

I'm in Australia. Normally I buy from the US though (for price reasons), however the aussie dollar has gone down so this is less of a factor - so I'm inclined to buy this lens in Australia and enjoy the benefits of local warranty.

My choice is between these two from digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au:

Tamron 70-200 f2.8 for $965 AUD (plus have to wait for them to get stock)

or

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 for $949 AUD (in stock ready to pick up and take home today)

The Sigma is discounted for me because they don;t have the tamron I asked for in stock.

Which would you get? Why?

Thanks, Dave
Although I own both Tamron and Sigma zooms (Tamron 28-72 F2.8, siogma 10-20 and APO 70-200 F2.8 EX) and am pleased with all of them, with respect to image quality, the sigma lenses seem more robust. My tamron has a little backlash in the zoom and focusing collars, not in the mecansims internally, but it just does not "feel" the same.
09-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #19

anyone got the tamron 70-200mm, please post a test full res photo...pls purty pleaseee...

09-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I was going to wait until they both showed up and wait for reviews, I just couldn't wait any longer, We are leaving the rain and heading to the SW for 17 days. The sigma should be in my bag on tuesday. Slot canyons, Bryce canyon & Zion national park are calling my name, I also have photo shoot to do in Buena Vista, Co. a little business and a lot of pleasure.

I hope that mine sig gives me the same quality pictures that Jimbos does. Like Jimbo said "I'm sure you will be happy with either one".

good luck on your decision.

John
09-26-2008, 01:59 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I am still going to hang out for the Tamron me thinks ... if it is anything like my Tamron 90mm ... it should be an excellent lens.

With a little one on the way as well ... my spending is limited to non-existant.

Well Congratulation Simon and the missus

cheers
09-26-2008, 06:56 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My beloved sharks got absolutely SMASHED in the footy tonight, but I was very ahppy with the performance of the Sigma mounted on my k20d. I'll post up some pics when I feel up to it (after mourning for the sharks....again!)

09-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Slot canyons, Bryce canyon & Zion national park are calling my name, I also have photo shoot to do in Buena Vista, Co. a little business and a lot of pleasure.
John
I am very jealous. I hope to get down there next season though. Looking forward to see some photos!!

I am waiting for more reviews also and I will probably purchase after the first of the year.
09-26-2008, 09:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Well I was going to wait until they both showed up and wait for reviews, I just couldn't wait any longer, We are leaving the rain and heading to the SW for 17 days. The sigma should be in my bag on tuesday. Slot canyons, Bryce canyon & Zion national park are calling my name, I also have photo shoot to do in Buena Vista, Co. a little business and a lot of pleasure.

I hope that mine sig gives me the same quality pictures that Jimbos does. Like Jimbo said "I'm sure you will be happy with either one".

good luck on your decision.

John
That's going to be a fun trip. I was just through there in the Spring with my 16-50 & 50-135. Check out This Thread and This Album for images from both lenses from Zion, etc.

09-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My beloved sharks got absolutely SMASHED in the footy tonight, but I was very ahppy with the performance of the Sigma mounted on my k20d. I'll post up some pics when I feel up to it (after mourning for the sharks....again!)
As promised, here are a few shots:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/38028-sharks-hit-wild-storm.html

Rugby League is a fast moving sport, and the Sigma did a great job of keeping up.
09-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I just received a notice from B&H Photo that the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 is in stock for $699. Anyone have it? or care to post some pics or an opinion?

Tamron | 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro AF Lens | AF001P-700

Last edited by ivoire; 09-29-2008 at 06:13 AM.
09-29-2008, 04:36 AM   #27

i would be very interested in the images taken with a Tamron as well
09-29-2008, 11:01 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by nupentaxian Quote
i would be very interested in the images taken with a Tamron as well
Hi all,

I have had the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 for a few weeks now. I have posted samples and my impressions, as well as answered various questions in a thread over at dpreview. You can find all the discussion at: Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 - my first shots [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Since then, I have shot more with this lens, and you will find a couple of sets in my Flickr account:

Maylands 29th September 2008 - a set on Flickr

Daiana's 11th birthday - a set on Flickr

Nothing overly special, just day-to-day sort of shots of nature and family. However, the lens has that special quality (sharpness, colour, contrast) that makes images pop. If you want to ask specific questions, please read the dpreview thread first. I commented on autofocus, and other issues there.

To add to that dpreview thread, I am still extremely happy with this lens, and I rarely take it off. IMHO, it is really special.

Cheers,
Mladen
09-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by obliviON Quote
Hi all,

I have had the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 for a few weeks now. I have posted samples and my impressions, as well as answered various questions in a thread over at dpreview. You can find all the discussion at: Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 - my first shots [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Since then, I have shot more with this lens, and you will find a couple of sets in my Flickr account:

Maylands 29th September 2008 - a set on Flickr

Daiana's 11th birthday - a set on Flickr

Nothing overly special, just day-to-day sort of shots of nature and family. However, the lens has that special quality (sharpness, colour, contrast) that makes images pop. If you want to ask specific questions, please read the dpreview thread first. I commented on autofocus, and other issues there.

To add to that dpreview thread, I am still extremely happy with this lens, and I rarely take it off. IMHO, it is really special.

Cheers,
Mladen

Holy smokes, those are some impressive shots in that dpreview thread. Wow.

Know what they remind me of? The DA* 50-135.

Any problems with BF/FF?

09-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #30

wow thanks obliviON, very nice samples...I guess i'll have to get that one...paying back a loan from my mom can wait