Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Green in my sig indicates a new or soon-to-arrive lens.

I'll post some shots sometime after Wednesday of next week. I know a lot of folks are very curious to see what this lens can do, if it's worth it, etc.

For me, my internal polling ended up at 51% Tamron, 49% Sigma - chose the Tamron even though I really like the idea of Sigma's HSM.

I would have never considered the Sigma 6 months ago - had some bad experiences with Sigma lenses. Then, I tried & bought the Sigma 70 2.8 EX DG macro, and it's incredible - the equal of any Pentax prime, IMO. That changed my ideas about Sigma, at least with the EX line.

But the results I get from my Tammy 28-75 2.8, and the images I've seen from the Tamron 70-200 have tipped the scales just slightly to the Tammy.

[tortured_sports_analogy]
So, the 31ltd took one for the team. The DA 35 is thrilled with it's new starting position, and when the rookie arrives Wed, we'll see how far it takes us into the playoffs. [/tortured_sports_analogy]

10-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #32
Veteran Member

UPS is scheduled to deliver my Tamron 70-200 from B & H tomorrow morning, and I'm very interested in checking out its low-light auto-focusing ability. Others, Mladen in particular, have already adequately demonstrated the lens' optical quality. Having been very satisfied with several Sigma lenses that I own (the 10-20mm, 17-70, 30mm f/1.4, 70-300 APO DG, and the Bigma) I was very hesitant to choose the Tamron over the Sigma, and will, no doubt, do a lot of second-guessing of my choice. The two deciding factors in my case were the IQ softness of the Sigma wide open above 150mm and the apparent inability of the HSM motor on the Sigma to auto-focus much if any faster than the Tamron on Pentax cameras. We'll see, and although I obviously don't have the Sigma to use to make direct comparisons, I'll post my impressions.

CN
10-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
UPS is scheduled to deliver my Tamron 70-200 from B & H tomorrow morning, and I'm very interested in checking out its low-light auto-focusing ability. Others, Mladen in particular, have already adequately demonstrated the lens' optical quality. Having been very satisfied with several Sigma lenses that I own (the 10-20mm, 17-70, 30mm f/1.4, 70-300 APO DG, and the Bigma) I was very hesitant to choose the Tamron over the Sigma, and will, no doubt, do a lot of second-guessing of my choice. The two deciding factors in my case were the IQ softness of the Sigma wide open above 150mm and the apparent inability of the HSM motor on the Sigma to auto-focus much if any faster than the Tamron on Pentax cameras. We'll see, and although I obviously don't have the Sigma to use to make direct comparisons, I'll post my impressions.

CN
I think you will be happy with it. Either ways, both lenses have some good features to offer. The HSM is nice as it is quiet. I don't worry to much about speed. IQ is overall good on the Sigma. It is a zoom which means IQ may not be the same for the entire range, Tamron will have that issue also. Both lenses offer great value for cost and unless one is willing to pay very high prices for optical excellence one has to be satified with lesser stellar performance .
10-30-2008, 03:10 AM   #34
Veteran Member

im off tomorrow to get a siggy 70-200mm for the quoted price of $AU 999 but only untill 5pm Friday after that time and date it goes up to $AU1249 and up to $AU1495 in another shop.
(They blame O/S makeup,currency balh blah ets)
So to score a saving Im off for a sigma

cheers

10-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Not Happy here ,as I went in the shop only to be told that they dont have one in store.
Beats me why have a catalogue and no stock.
AS for price they would like me to buy now(without testing) and delivered by early next week
Is this a omen or what?

Price is competitive at $AU999 but after sale its $AU1649...mmmmm

cheers