Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Decide between tamron & sigma 70-200

Hi,
I need some advice deciding between these two - basically a "what would you do?" question.

I'm in Australia. Normally I buy from the US though (for price reasons), however the aussie dollar has gone down so this is less of a factor - so I'm inclined to buy this lens in Australia and enjoy the benefits of local warranty.

My choice is between these two from digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au:

Tamron 70-200 f2.8 for $965 AUD (plus have to wait for them to get stock)

or

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 for $949 AUD (in stock ready to pick up and take home today)

The Sigma is discounted for me because they don;t have the tamron I asked for in stock.

Which would you get? Why?

Thanks, Dave

Last edited by bonovox; 09-21-2008 at 11:21 PM.
09-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

might want to start w/ the dpreview reviews of each lens
09-21-2008, 10:15 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
it's a toughie and I'm looking to plug that focal length gap myself by christmas.

On one hand you have the Tamron with better image quality (that I've seen) but the Sigma has the internal focus motor.

PS. How did you get clearance for another purchase with the baby coming
09-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Quote "On one hand you have the Tamron with better image quality (that I've seen) but the Sigma has the internal focus motor."

Yep, that's the dilemma! Plus I can have the Sigma in my hands tomorrow, in time for the footy on Friday night!

At $100 less, I would definitely pick the Tammy, but when they are virtually the same price, I'm not sure.

Quote "PS. How did you get clearance for another purchase with the baby coming"

My purchase is only allowed bacause I have sold my 1.7x TC, and will soon sell my A* 300mm f4. Even with these sold, I'll be doing it tough to convince my wife the moeny should go on a new lens!

09-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The photographs Jimbo has posted with the Sigma have been breathtaking, so the IQ difference you've seen might just be the people behind the lenses.
09-21-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have the Sigma and can tell you that IQ is very good. I don't always believe what is written in dpreview. They called IQ 8.0 with Tamron at 8.5, too close to call. One has to have more than one lens to really test and get a proper overall result. Was the lens pre-production or off the shelf? It was not a Pentax mount either. Too many variable here so I decided to buy one and judge for myself. I would say do the same, buy one and try it for a few days. If not satified return it. Just make sure the dealer agree or has the policy in place. I did have 7 days return with 14 days exchange. So far to me, it is a keeper.
09-22-2008, 03:46 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I decided to go for it and have ordered the Sigma for $949, which works out to be under US$800 at current exchange rate. This is the first time I've ever seen a lens available cheaper in an Aussie B&M store than American prices - very happy!

I pick it up tomorrow.

So that means my A* 300mm f/4 is officially for sale. I'll put it up in the marketplace soon. If anyone is interested in this beautiful lens, let me know.

Thanks

09-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'd keep the 300 at least for now. You just never know when ou'll wnat a couple of extra mm.

At least I find 300mm as a valuable length.
09-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
might want to start w/ the dpreview reviews of each lens
... and then double check on Optyczne.pl (you need not understand Polish )
09-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
The photographs Jimbo has posted with the Sigma have been breathtaking, so the IQ difference you've seen might just be the people behind the lenses.
How can you judge lens IQ with something else than 1:1 picture (or crop)?
The photographer can be judged with resized photographs but the lens can't.
09-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gkopeliadis Quote
... and then double check on Optyczne.pl (you need not understand Polish )
I tried but it is a little much to figure out. Again, test are not done on a Pentax system. A real test will be from the consumer. So far those that have one are very satisfied with IQ, myself included. If I was not happy, the lens would have been returned.

Overall this lens with its low price, HSM, F2.8 and good IQ will satify most photographers. There will always be some who will be negative. You know the old saying, saw the tree but missed the forest. The Tamron may have better IQ but I have not seen user reports to back the claim. Maybe I failed to search hard enough for it but this forum tends to quickly post issues. Look how fast the DA 16-50 problems were discussed. The same will be true for the Tamron and Sigma. This far Sigma IQ reports are very positive and results on a Pentax system are much better than dpreview reported. Time and use will tell.
09-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I'd keep the 300 at least for now. You just never know when ou'll wnat a couple of extra mm.

At least I find 300mm as a valuable length.
I would love to keep it, but the little use I already get out of it (which will be even less once I have the 70-200) means I simply can't justify having such a beautiful (and valuable) lens in my kit.

It is up in the marketplace now.
09-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
Overall this lens with its low price, HSM, F2.8 and good IQ will satify most photographers... Time and use will tell.
I hope to be one of those satisfied photographers!

I'll be posting some photos in the next couple of weeks.
09-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
A real test will be from the consumer.
So far I found no criteriacued reports in this or any other forum about those two pieces ...
09-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I am still going to hang out for the Tamron me thinks ... if it is anything like my Tamron 90mm ... it should be an excellent lens.

With a little one on the way as well ... my spending is limited to non-existant.