Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #16

I'm going to go against the grain and recommend...

the 50

09-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
WOW, it seems the general concensus is the 50, 1.4
when will the new DA*55 1.4 be released i wonder?
I s'pose the price will be far more than they are asking for the FA50
Over twice as much, according to the info floating around on dpreview.

Since no one has recommended the DA40, let me be the first. I find 40mm a much more generally useful focal length than 50mm. I find f/2.8 "fast enough" for most situations. I find the small size and focus speed very nice. And IQ is incredible.

On the other hand, a truly fast lens is something you should have too, and 50mm *is* a decent (if short) focal length for portraits. So I'd pick up a used MF 50 and the DA40 together for less than the cost of the 50/1.4's from the other manufacturers.
09-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Tough call.

I got the 40, but I wasn't too worried about low light shooting. It's an INCREDIBLE lens in every way; superbly sharp, beautiful rendering, excellent bokeh.

However, if I wanted low light performance then the 50 at two stops faster is the obvious choice.

Buy both. Or do as I did, and pick up some cheap fast M42 primes.
09-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #19
Inactive Account

I'm not going to be much help to you as I have both lenses. The 50 is nice to use as an available-light all purpose lens and the 40mm Limited is great to use a low profile street-shooter. I bought the 40mm first then the 50mm about a year later. Both are great lenses and have their own place in my camera bag.

09-22-2008, 07:58 PM   #20
Pentaxian

One thing that could be done is to get an used M or A 50 mm, and the 40 mm Limited. The main purpose of the 50 is its speed, to me at least, as I find 50 mm slightly unconfortable for a general purpose lens. It's good for portraits and narrow compositions, though.

Your use for the lens should be taken into account here. Do you want specifically a low light lens? In that case get as many f-stops as you can. Do you want a great everyday prime? Decide based on the focal length you're most likely to use.
09-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #21
Forum Member

I find the 50mm FOV too "tight" on our cropped sensor DSLR's, so in situations where you need the f/1.4 speed (indoors), it is just not that convenient to step back and try to get the coverage.

The 40mm suits my needs perfectly. Fast enough to work in low light, small enough for the perfect street lens, and closer to the true normal (43mm) than the 50.

The 40mm gets my vote.

09-23-2008, 03:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
hey guys (not gender specific btw)

its soo good to have so many opinions to consider, i do ave a MF 50mm which i find quite difficult to focus manually, especially in low light. Although I dont often shoot my camera indoors.
the reason i was perplexed over which lens to get was the 1.4 will give me a really narrow depth of field for portrait shots, where i like the eyes to be sharp and the rest fading out, i dont believe this will be so prominent on 2.8 with the 40mm ltd. I mainly like to shoot outdoors with natural light, or if at night or dusk will be getting flash for fill with slow sync etc.
I have heard with the 9 blades on the 40 it does give a smooth bokeh

grrrrr can u not see my dilemma

i had 'almost' conceded to the 50mm untill you guys came up with positive on the 40mm.
can anyone post or guide me to some difinitive shallow dof shots from the 40mm ltd please

thank you al lagain for yourr advice and opinions it is greatly appreciated

taff
09-23-2008, 04:50 AM   #23
Inactive Account

The DA 40mm is a great choice. I have both the DA 40 and the FA 50, both are great.
The 40mm is not as fast as the 50mm, but it is smaller, faster AF and not as easy to break as the 50mm. The 40mm is well protected with the cap/hood on, just unscrew the smallest cap and leave it off.

09-23-2008, 04:51 AM   #24

I want to buy my first AF prime but can't decide betwen the cheaper faster 50mm 1.4 or the sharper (apparently) 40mm 2.8 ltd.(

Neither - why not go for the P FA 35/2 AL? F/2 is plenty fast enough for most applications, the 35mm focal length is much closer to a "normal" field of view, and it comes with an excellent clip-on hood with a finger slot for using a polarising filter. The 50 is a great lens (they both are) but it's really a short telephoto on the digital bodies. But maybe you really want a short tele? That's the real question - what field-of-view do you want?
09-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
The DA 40mm is a great choice. I have both the DA 40 and the FA 50, both are great.
The 40mm is not as fast as the 50mm, but it is smaller, faster AF and not as easy to break as the 50mm. The 40mm is well protected with the cap/hood on, just unscrew the smallest cap and leave it off.

hi northpentax, was this taken with the 40?
09-23-2008, 05:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisN Quote
Neither - why not go for the P FA 35/2 AL? F/2 is plenty fast enough for most applications, the 35mm focal length is much closer to a "normal" field of view, and it comes with an excellent clip-on hood with a finger slot for using a polarising filter. The 50 is a great lens (they both are) but it's really a short telephoto on the digital bodies. But maybe you really want a short tele? That's the real question - what field-of-view do you want?
Hi chris, i think if i went for the 35, I would look at the DA 35mm 2.8 ltd Macro
09-23-2008, 06:47 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I had both 40 2.8 and 50 1.4 before, my vote is DA40 because
- craftmanship is much more better with full metal
- color and sharpness is great on digital (I personally think better than 50mm)
- tiny and light

but if you want the large aperture and mostly for indoors handheld, the 50mm 1.4may be better, but for outdoors and general purpose I will always get the DA40mm.
However, after the emerging of DA 35mm 2.8 ltd Macro, I think this is the one that I want.
09-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #28
Inactive Account

hi northpentax, was this taken with the 40?
Yes.

The white dot is the focus piont.

Not the best picture. only thing I could find for a DoF test. Taken hand-held with f/2.8, SR on.
09-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #29
Igilligan

One more for the.....

hey guys (not gender specific btw)

its soo good to have so many opinions to consider, i do ave a MF 50mm which i find quite difficult to focus manually, especially in low light. Although I dont often shoot my camera indoors.
the reason i was perplexed over which lens to get was the 1.4 will give me a really narrow depth of field for portrait shots, where i like the eyes to be sharp and the rest fading out, i dont believe this will be so prominent on 2.8 with the 40mm ltd. I mainly like to shoot outdoors with natural light, or if at night or dusk will be getting flash for fill with slow sync etc.
I have heard with the 9 blades on the 40 it does give a smooth bokeh

grrrrr can u not see my dilemma

i had 'almost' conceded to the 50mm untill you guys came up with positive on the 40mm.
can anyone post or guide me to some difinitive shallow dof shots from the 40mm ltd please

thank you al lagain for yourr advice and opinions it is greatly appreciated

taff
I have both too... If you think MF on a 50 1.4 is tough, wait until you miss focus about 70% of the time with the auto focus on the FA 50 at 1.4 Believe me the short throw of the MF ring on the FA 50 is a lot harder to MF than my old SMC tak 50 is.

I think there are two good options here. With the type of shooting you seem to do, get the DA40 and practice more with your old MF 50 1.7 or 1.4 for the real lowlight stuff. I got my DA 40 used on this forum forum for about 220....
Or spend the big money and get the DA 35ltd which to me is more usable focal length than the FA 50...

I also would choose the FA 35 over the Fa 50 if I had it to do over again....

good luck...
09-24-2008, 08:19 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
your views and help have been invaluable guys, and funny as it seems (40mm or 50mm) I have decided on the DA 35mm f2.8 ltd macro, many reasons why i have come to this decision, (dsport poited it out cheers)
I do have a fast 50 so i will practice manual focus with that as Igilligan suggested (cheers again)
DA 55 1.4 on its way to the marketplace so wait till then to get AF 50ish
possible missed focus 'still' with AF50
1:1 macro of 35 ltd (altough too close for bugs)
50mm equiv on dig sensor
And this looks like a damn nice lens

I have managed to get this lens for $720 australian at the camera store i like to use (originally quoted $849 but i begged LOL)

I will be placing deposit on this lens tomorrow, i hope it doesn't take too long to arrive

Taff