Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I say go with the FA50/1. It is not only faster, better priced but it also has AN APERTURE RING. This may sound strange now that every single Pentax DSLR controls the aperture from the body and for any auto exposure program, the aperture ring has to be set to "A", but....

Have you ever considered using extension tubes? ahhhhhhhhh! There is the big difference. DA lenses without aperture rings, are useless with extension tubes. You need the aperture ring!.

Robert B.

09-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Have you ever considered using extension tubes? ahhhhhhhhh! There is the big difference. DA lenses without aperture rings, are useless with extension tubes. You need the aperture ring!.Robert B.
Not if you use auto extension tubes (with the electronic contacts.)
I think Kenko make them, for one example.

FA 50 = cheaper, faster.
DA 40 = smaller, better quality construction.

I appreciate the presence of the aperture ring on the FA 50 1.4 for use on film bodies, but it's just ever so slightly wobbly. Feels a bit cheap. But I can't complain, the lens is fantastic. A real essential in anyone's kit, I think.
09-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote
Not if you use auto extension tubes (with the electronic contacts.)
I think Kenko make them, for one example.
You are right. To bad they are no longer available new. I guess Adorama had them. Maybe on e-bay.

RB
09-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
I say go with the FA50/1. It is not only faster, better priced but it also has AN APERTURE RING. This may sound strange now that every single Pentax DSLR controls the aperture from the body and for any auto exposure program, the aperture ring has to be set to "A", but....

Have you ever considered using extension tubes? ahhhhhhhhh! There is the big difference. DA lenses without aperture rings, are useless with extension tubes. You need the aperture ring!.

Robert B.
I do have an extension tube and I will use my manual lens on that, but it is a valid point not one to put me off the 35 though

09-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #35
Veteran Member

I think the DA35 is a fine choice here given that you already have a MF 50. I agree that with practice, your MF skills will improve. And when shooting at f/1.4 for narrow DOF, AF is going to be rather unreilable anyhow as far as being able to put the focus point *exactly* where you want it.

Note one reaosn you may be having trouble with MF at wide apertures is that the viewfinder lies to you. It's actually showing quite a bit more DOF than than the picture will show. Instead of just looking at the area you want sharpest and trying to get that sharp - which won't guarantee it will be sharp in the pciture - look at the *whole* in focus area, and try to place your main subject within that wherever it needs to be. On my camera, I find that placing my subject toward the *front* of the apparently-in-focus areas works best - when I take the picture, it's the back of the in-focus area that becomes OOF.
09-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Marc,

I still havent had the chance to get to the camera store to order my lens, I have been to busy working. Which is not a good thing as it gives thought to a change of mind, I still think the DA35 is the best choice but am having doubts, especially as the longer it takes me to get there the more my items on ebay keep going up allowing more funds to be allocated towards a purchase that my wife would not usually allow . Saying that it is getting close to the cost of a DA*16-50 2.8 (how frustrating)
09-26-2008, 03:43 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K200D Quote
...closer to the true normal (43mm) than the 50.
Isn't the true APS-C normal 50/1.5 = ~33mm?

09-26-2008, 03:48 AM   #38
Veteran Member

i cant decide this for you.

you have too buy em both.

like meee
09-26-2008, 05:40 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote

like meee
Hi fearview

its looking like maybe 35mm and the 50mm, or the DA*16-50 now lol
09-26-2008, 05:41 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote

like meee

P.S u wanna post some pics captured with both
09-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #41
Inactive Account

FA50mm is simply a must own lens.

c[_]
09-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Isn't the true APS-C normal 50/1.5 = ~33mm?
That depends on what you believe is a true "normal" lens. Pentax says the focal length should be equal to the diagonal of the negative, sensor, etc. That means ~28mm is normal for APS-C (23.4x15.6mm). It also means that 43mm is normal for film (36x24mm), which is why Pentax has a 43mm Limited lens.
09-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by felix68 Quote
Pentax says the focal length should be equal to the diagonal of the negative, sensor, etc. That means ~28mm is normal for APS-C (23.4x15.6mm).
Thanks for the clarification.

I was confused since "K200D" referred to "our cropped sensors" and hence when he mentioned "the true normal", I assumed he intended to refer to an APS-C normal, not a 35 mm film normal.

I've read about 43 being the true normal for 35 mm film format before and it makes sense to me both technically and visually.
09-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
I still think the DA35 is the best choice but am having doubts, especially as the longer it takes me to get there the more my items on ebay keep going up allowing more funds to be allocated towards a purchase that my wife would not usually allow . Saying that it is getting close to the cost of a DA*16-50 2.8 (how frustrating)
For some reason, a couple of Ebay resellers seem to be able to offer this lens fairly regularly at well below $400, which seems like it would be a scam, but several people have reported it being legit.
09-26-2008, 05:16 PM   #45

Jepp.

Get a 50/1.4. It's not a normal lens on digital, but it really gives a lots of room in f-stops to play with

And it's a 'real' low-light lens which any f2.8 is not.