Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Choosing a single in lens

How do you guys choose your single in lens? Do you tend to play safe or risk committing to a disappointing lens? I have something of a dilemma. I have decided to go with 135mm next month and had decided to use my Schneider kreuzach. Trouble is, I don't know how good it is. I have a Takumar preset which I know is capable of nice things, a chinon that is excellent and a Pentax M that I havent used for a while. The question is do I play safe with the chinon or takumar, go small (chinon or Pentax m) go all Russian spy (Takumar or Schneider) or take a punt on something currently untested (Schneider or Pentax m). Any observations would be welcome

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
STYLUS1,1s  Photo 
09-18-2018, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go with the Schneider. I say that because it’s one I haven’t used/owned!
09-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What is a "single in" lens? I've never heard the term before and google returns this thread.
09-18-2018, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
What is a "single in" lens? I've never heard the term before and google returns this thread.
"Single in" means you commit to using just one particular lens for some period of time: a day, a week, month, or longer. It's a great ways to force your photographic skills to develop on a specific focal length or a specific lens. By accepting the "single in" challenge, one learns to see the world in a different way and learn when/how to use that specific lens to its best advantage.

09-18-2018, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Every lens has its' own particular strengths and weakness. It depends on what your subject is and what lens characteristics are important to YOU.

Me, I could care less about sharpness. I care much more about bokeh, contrast and color.

So, it's an individual decision that only you can answer.
09-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ah right, I do that myself, just never heard the term - Personally I just grab one which I haven't used before and then accept that I might have a dud of a lens on my camera for a week, or a month.

Sigma 10-22 was challenging for stills, but I wouldn't have discovered that it's a nice video lens without putting up with it for a month.

I'd go for the one on the left for pragmatic reasons.
09-18-2018, 03:29 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The one you have no idea of. That's what I did this month before hurricane and other things derailed me. My cheap lens has been interesting. I'll likely be back in the fray tomorrow. The point of single in is to get to know what you can do with a lens - not to showcase lovely images. Take the challenge as intended - take a risk.

09-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Go with the Schneider. I say that because it’s one I haven’t used/owned!
Aaaah, vicarious ownership this one seems ridiculously rare and ever so pretty. It was made in 1970 and is f3.5 so not super fast. Don’t ask me about elements and groups or I will start to whimper it is the black one with the thin silver rings. It has the matching black and silver hood. I have never seen one quite like it.

Re the single in challenge, the first challenge I went with a 50mm auto mamiya sekor (Tamioka) sooooo sharp! This month I am reacquainting myself with my first manual prime, a Miranda 24mm. Because wide angle is my happy place I want to push myself next month with the 135mm. In the challenge, you are obliged to produce one picture per day with the chosen lens, even if it is a “safety” like a close up of an ornament. It really makes you think and encourages you to try new angles when revisiting old places, just to get that daily shot. You should try it
09-18-2018, 03:37 PM - 4 Likes   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been Singling since September 2015, with only instance of repeating a month with the same lens....

I've been fortunate in that my LBA keeps fresh lenses coming, usually enough to use throughout the year....

how I choose depends upon several factors:

- which lenses have I not singled with?

- which lens am I singling with this month?

- what season or time of the year is it?

all of this is factored in for me - if I am using a particularly difficult lens this month, I may choose an AF lens next month, just to give myself a break...

or if it's coming up on Christmas, I know I'm going to want a lens that will give me great sparkle/bokeh with all the lights I'm going to be shooting...

EDIT:

and, just as an aside, I thoroughly believe in the Single In(and to a smaller extent, the Daily) Challenge has made me a better photographer, has given me the opportunity to use and evaluate all manner of lenses, and see what other shooters produce on a daily basis....

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 09-18-2018 at 03:45 PM.
09-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The one you have no idea of. That's what I did this month before hurricane and other things derailed me. My cheap lens has been interesting. I'll likely be back in the fray tomorrow. The point of single in is to get to know what you can do with a lens - not to showcase lovely images. Take the challenge as intended - take a risk.
The Miranda was interesting. It is a safe length but I bought it when I was starting out and thought it was good. Returning to it was a test to see if it is still good now I have a better idea what good looks like, and it is, especially for a lens that cost me £45. I like sharpness, even though I don’t always get it. I am not a big fan of lenses that render flat but that will present a new challenge to overcome. The Schneider is the totally unknown quantity, the Pentax-M would be the next test whereas the chinon and the Takumar are known quantities. What’s life without a little risk looks like it is going to be my original choice, the Schneider Kreuznach Edina Tele Xenar f3.5, to give it its full name

Thanks guys

---------- Post added 09-18-18 at 03:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I've been Singling since September 2015, with only instance of repeating a month with the same lens....

I've been fortunate in that my LBA keeps fresh lenses coming, usually enough to use throughout the year....

how I choose depends upon several factors:

- which lenses have I not singled with?

- which lens am I singling with this month?

- what season or time of the year is it?

all of this is factored in for me - if I am using a particularly difficult lens this month, I may choose an AF lens next month, just to give myself a break...

or if it's coming up on Christmas, I know I'm going to want a lens that will give me great sparkle/bokeh with all the lights I'm going to be shooting...

EDIT:

and, just as an aside, I thoroughly believe in the Single In(and to a smaller extent, the Daily) Challenge has made me a better photographer, has given me the opportunity to use and evaluate all manner of lenses, and see what other shooters produce on a daily basis....
You and Vanya both recommended the single in when I was slumping and I haven’t looked back. I have had some stuff that I am very happy with ........ and some utter tosh, but mostly happy I think November may be my tokina 28mm, mainly because I bought one for a Nikon using buddy and I would like to showcase it. He is a long lens shooter. December I may just give myself the gift of using the 18-135mm, if I don’t get a PLM, or another limited, or a Jupiter, or another Isco gottingen, or any of the others on my lba wish list
09-18-2018, 03:53 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I "singled in" with a Hasselblad 501c and an 80mm for seven or eight years. It became a photographically symbiotic relationship.

Last edited by EssJayEff; 09-18-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Typo
09-18-2018, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven’t done a single in challenge in a while. I may do one this next month
09-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
How do you guys choose your single in lens? Do you tend to play safe or risk committing to a disappointing lens? I have something of a dilemma. I have decided to go with 135mm next month and had decided to use my Schneider kreuzach. Trouble is, I don't know how good it is.
First, I usually go single in with my favorite lens, and then cheat by having a backup "just in case". For me, this is almost always a fast normal and a wide angle prime.

If I had expectations, I would not go single in on an unknown optic. However, if I really wanted to decide if I was going to keep a lens that I had doubts about, then the whole process would be about becoming familiar with the pros and cons of the unknown lens.
09-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

My Super Multi Coated Takumar 2.8/105 has a tendency to remain on my camera, although my Fujinon 50mm 1.4 seems to be my "go to" lens when I do remove the 105. It truly depends on what I am shooting, I could grab anything and have a go.
09-18-2018, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
First, I usually go single in with my favorite lens, and then cheat by having a backup "just in case". For me, this is almost always a fast normal and a wide angle prime.

If I had expectations, I would not go single in on an unknown optic. However, if I really wanted to decide if I was going to keep a lens that I had doubts about, then the whole process would be about becoming familiar with the pros and cons of the unknown lens.
I did this with the K28 3.5. I had full expectation to sell the lens after the single in challenge, but it ended up becoming my favorite 28mm lens (I’ve almost sold all my other 28mm lenses)