Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2018, 06:02 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 261
Pentax DA 560mm f5.6 Tips and Advice?

Just looking for some advice in to how best prepare myself for using the DA 560mm.

I accidentally bought the 560mm on eBay when shopping for a DFA 150-450mm, and now am having second thoughts about how I will cope with it given its size and mass. Up until this point I had mostly used all my lenses handheld (DFA 70-200mm 2.8, Tamron 300mm f2.8, Bigma), or with a monopod when shooting for extended periods of time. So I thought I'd ask for advice from you mob on how to get the best results from the lens, practice notwithstanding.

Thanks in advance!

09-18-2018, 06:10 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,418
QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
I accidentally bought the 560mm on eBay when shopping for a DFA 150-450mm....
I need to know how you do this "accidental" buying thing.
(Don't tell my wife you told me how it works!)
09-18-2018, 06:17 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 261
Original Poster
Well I saved up enough to get a new DFA 150-450mm, but there was a 560mm on eBay. So I made an offer of 2600USD thinking theres no way in hell that they'd accept, and boom, accepted. So I "accidentally" got me a DA 560mm :P
09-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
david94903's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 536
You're going to need a bigger boat, ha!

And a sturdy tripod would be my recommendation. I use my D-FA 150-450 hand held (in TAV mode with the shutter speed typically between 1/3500 and 1/8000) but as soon as I put it on a tripod it's a completely different experience, with a lot better keeper rate. I have a Wimberley Sidekick that combines with my ball head to serve as a poor man's gimbal head. For the most part it works pretty well.

09-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,418
QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
Well I saved up enough to get a new DFA 150-450mm, but there was a 560mm on eBay. So I made an offer of 2600USD thinking theres no way in hell that they'd accept, and boom, accepted. So I "accidentally" got me a DA 560mm :P
Wow! Congratulations!
09-18-2018, 06:45 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 261
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
You're going to need a bigger boat, ha!

And a sturdy tripod would be my recommendation. I use my D-FA 150-450 hand held (in TAV mode with the shutter speed typically between 1/3500 and 1/8000) but as soon as I put it on a tripod it's a completely different experience, with a lot better keeper rate. I have a Wimberley Sidekick that combines with my ball head to serve as a poor man's gimbal head. For the most part it works pretty well.
Okay so a simple ball head ain't gonna cut it I guess, so more money down the sink :\
09-18-2018, 06:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
david94903's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 536
QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
Okay so a simple ball head ain't gonna cut it I guess, so more money down the sink :\
Even if you'd gotten the D-FA 150-450, you're gonna want a pretty stout and high quality ball head and tripod combination. Your only talking about a difference of 2 lbs. between the two lenses (D-FA 150-450 is 5.1 lbs and the DA 560 is 7 lbs), both are tanks. I learned a long time ago not to trust good glass on cheap equipment.
09-18-2018, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian
KiloHotelphoto's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Glen Mills, PA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 640
Get yourself a good gimbal head and a long arca swiss plate, I think I used a 200mm one. The lens isn't heavy it's just long so to get it balanced right you need a long plate. That's what I needed with the K1 and battery grip.

I had the lens for a couple years and to be honest if you can return it that is what I would do. But $2600 is about what I would say that lens is worth so if it is in perfect condition you did ok.

09-18-2018, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #9
Banned




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,099
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Get yourself a good gimbal head and a long arca swiss plate, I think I used a 200mm one. The lens isn't heavy it's just long so to get it balanced right you need a long plate. That's what I needed with the K1 and battery grip.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't have the 560, but I do have an A* 600/5.6. It's a bit smaller, and a little heavier than your lens. Anyway, I ended up buying a Wimberley gimbal head to mount on the Zone VI standard wood tripod that looks like this and weighs some 15 pounds.
09-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
david94903's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 536
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't have the 560, but I do have an A* 600/5.6. It's a bit smaller, and a little heavier than your lens. Anyway, I ended up buying a Wimberley gimbal head to mount on the Zone VI standard wood tripod that looks like this and weighs some 15 pounds.
Did that $5 bill come with the tripod, or was that an accessory you purchased afterwards?
09-18-2018, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #11
Banned




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,099
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Did that $5 bill come with the tripod, or was that an accessory you purchased afterwards?
I cannot take responsibility for that. This is what my tripod looks like, but it is not a picture of my tripod. It is something I found on the web and linked to. My tripod has a gimbal head on it.
09-18-2018, 07:53 PM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 261
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Even if you'd gotten the D-FA 150-450, you're gonna want a pretty stout and high quality ball head and tripod combination. Your only talking about a difference of 2 lbs. between the two lenses (D-FA 150-450 is 5.1 lbs and the DA 560 is 7 lbs), both are tanks. I learned a long time ago not to trust good glass on cheap equipment.
Yeah I most definitely won't be putting my new lens on a dinky $100 Inca tripod. My current plan is to get a big ball head, and one of those pseudo gimbal heads to anchor the lens, that way I can use the same head for all of my lenses.

My one wish is that the lens had a removable tripod foot ala DFA 70-200/150-450, that way I could keep one attached to my Peak Design Strap, and the other permanently attached to the gimbal. Maybe one day I'll got a custom job done on the lens in Japan, but probably not.

---------- Post added 09-19-18 at 12:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't have the 560, but I do have an A* 600/5.6. It's a bit smaller, and a little heavier than your lens. Anyway, I ended up buying a Wimberley gimbal head to mount on the Zone VI standard wood tripod that looks like this and weighs some 15 pounds.
Now thats a tripod!!! Got to admit I love the wood look! Any particular advantages to a wooden tripod (other than the heavy weight and low thermal conductivity)?

---------- Post added 09-19-18 at 12:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Get yourself a good gimbal head and a long arca swiss plate, I think I used a 200mm one. The lens isn't heavy it's just long so to get it balanced right you need a long plate. That's what I needed with the K1 and battery grip.

I had the lens for a couple years and to be honest if you can return it that is what I would do. But $2600 is about what I would say that lens is worth so if it is in perfect condition you did ok.
Okay long plate, something I definitely overlooked! On the shopping list it goes. I'm thinking I'll get the white spray paint and sandpaper out!
09-18-2018, 10:57 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,067
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
And a sturdy tripod would be my recommendation. I use my D-FA 150-450 hand held (in TAV mode with the shutter speed typically between 1/3500 and 1/8000) but as soon as I put it on a tripod it's a completely different experience, with a lot better keeper rate. I have a Wimberley Sidekick that combines with my ball head to serve as a poor man's gimbal head. For the most part it works pretty well.
I have no problem handholding the DFA 150-450 at 1/800 or faster. I typically use 1/1250 for birds in flight. TAv.
09-19-2018, 12:32 AM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 261
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have no problem handholding the DFA 150-450 at 1/800 or faster. I typically use 1/1250 for birds in flight. TAv.
I am hoping to mainly use the lens handheld or on a monopod as most of the work I do is a touch run and gun. That said, I would prefer to use a tripod where it makes sense so fingers crossed I can find a handful of solutions that cover my needs
09-19-2018, 12:46 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
redpit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Athens
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,063
Enjoy your DA 560! I find it a great lens and a joy to use. It's not so hard to handhold and the foot being so far in the front gives a nice balanced grip on my K-1 with battery grip.

What you'll need to fully utilize it are: a good tripod, a long plate (20cm or more), a good gimbal head and a good bag to protect it and transport it. I can give you my recommendations on equipment that works great for me if you want more help.

Again congrats on your purchase! I also have the DFA 150-450 which is another great lens but my first choice is the DA 560 when the shooting conditions permit its use
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
560mm, 560mm f5.6 tips, advice, bag, ball, d-fa, da, da 560mm f5.6, dfa, f2.8, front, grip, head, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax da 560mm, pentax lens, plate, pm, slr lens, solution, tripod, wood
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD Pentax-DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW 1234567890 Visitors' Center 2 11-23-2015 10:43 PM
Field Test: HD DA 560mm F5.6 ED (IF) AW Pentax lens oneill Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 23 11-24-2014 05:02 PM
29 % off - Pentax HD PENTAX DA 560mm F5.6 troenaas Pentax Price Watch 4 10-02-2013 05:53 PM
HD PENTAX-DA 560mm F5.6 ED AW - First Video ogunturkay Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 09-19-2012 11:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:17 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top