Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2008, 03:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

What lens should I get

Hi All,

Let me start off by saying I am an absolute novice when it comes to DSLR cameras and as such I am totally confused by the different mounts, lenses, adapters etc.

I have just bought a K100D that came with a single lens in the kit. I can't say I am overly impressed with the lens and am looking to find something a bit better. However, I don't have a lot of cash to spend and would be happy with something second hand but looking at Ebay etc I have no idea what would fit my camera.

Can someone please help me with suggestions as to what I could use on my camera?

Thanks!!

Jenni

09-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Thats hard to say, as we don't know what type of photography you want to do.. What kind of pictures do you want to take?
09-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi,

if you would like to replace the kit lens with a "better" equivalent (covering roughly the same focal lengths) I would suggest the Sigma or Pentax 17-70 lenses. They are different, but both reportedly perform very well (I can vouch for the Sigma, which I own, but not the Pentax, which I've never used). They are relatively inexpensive, and the Sigma pops up now and then on the marketplace.

Otherwise, you would try to get your hands on older primes, such as the M and A lines from Pentax. You will need to focus manually, though.

Usually, regarding lenses, you get what you pay for, and the longer the zoom range, the more compromises are needed to design the lenses. The maximum aperture of a lens (f-stop) will also influence your ability to take sharp pictures in difficult situations.

You could experiment a bit more with the kit, just to see which focal elgnts suit you best, then get a lens covering these focal lengths.
09-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Another vote for the Sigma 17-70, excellent lens. If you decide that wide angle is a requirement the sigma 10-20 is also very good - provided you get a good copy !!

simon

09-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

First step has to be to identify what about the lit lens you don't like. Not enough telephoto range? Not enough wide range? Both? Doesn't focus closely enough? Not a "fast" enough maximum aperture? Not sharp enough at maximum aperture? Not sharp enough even when stopped down? Too slow to focus? Too noisy to focus? Too big? Not weather-sealed?

The kit lens is actually pretty darned good for what it is, but of course, other lenses can give the advantages I just listed. No single lens gives them all, of course, and in fact, most of them are at odds with each other. Eg, get a lens with a longer telephoto end and it will probably be bigger, focus more slowly and less sharp at maximum aperture. Get a lens with a faster maximum aperture and it may also be sharper but will have less telephoto range and won't focus as closely. And so on.

Of course, it's also important to ascertain that whatever you are unsatisfied with is actually a limitation of the lens and not of the camera - or of your own understanding of how to take advantage of them (you 8did*, after all, say you were a novice...)

But to answer your basic question, lenses that say they are for pentax will fit your camera, as long as they don't also say "M42", "screwmount", "110", or "645" (those might be usable with adaptor). Ones that say they are manual focus will require manual focus. Most of those will also rwequire you to use manual exposure mode.
09-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

pentax 50mm 1.4

Honestly, for the money, i would get the 50mm 1.4. Only $200 and takes stellar crisp shots. I got the tam 28-75, and after extensive use, i realized most of the shots i took were around 50mm. So now i just roll with the 50mm lens and cut size & weight in half from the zoom. Probally not a popular choice for beginners(most would reccomend a zoom), but i love the lens
-b