Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Interesting! The 43 Ltd in L39!

I did not know such lens existed! Came across this on the local classifieds.

Please view this ad:

Pentax 43mm f/1.9 for Leica LTM or M,
Pentax 43mm f/1.9 for Leica LTM or M | Cameras & Camcorders | City of Toronto | Kijiji

Price: $*700

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
Kijiji: Shop with Canada's #1 Local Classifieds - Apps on Google Play

09-21-2018, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #3

Yes - limited quantities were produced but it has a small cult following among Leica shooters. I've read there are 800 in silver and 1200 in black (although oddly it is the silvers I tend to see for sale).

It is identical optically to the Pentax-FA 43mm, but lacks autofocus and has Leica M mount + accessory viewfinder. The lens is actually slightly larger as they essentially need to put an 'adapter' on the back to match the registration distance of the SLR version. I think most people use the Leica or Minolta 40mm f/2 which are very similar in focal length and aperture and generally available cheaper, although they perhaps lack the special characteristics of the 43mm...
09-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am aware of the 43 Ltd, I like using it quite a bit

I didn't know they made it in the Leica mount...

---------- Post added 09-21-18 at 09:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jspillane Quote
Yes - limited quantities were produced but it has a small cult following among Leica shooters. I've read there are 800 in silver and 1200 in black (although oddly it is the silvers I tend to see for sale).

It is identical optically to the Pentax-FA 43mm, but lacks autofocus and has Leica M mount + accessory viewfinder. The lens is actually slightly larger as they essentially need to put an 'adapter' on the back to match the registration distance of the SLR version. I think most people use the Leica or Minolta 40mm f/2 which are very similar in focal length and aperture and generally available cheaper, although they perhaps lack the special characteristics of the 43mm...
Thanks! Good to know. If Pentax has a small cult following among Leica shooters, maybe Pentax is not doomed?

09-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
If Pentax has a small cult following among Leica shooters, maybe Pentax is not doomed?
This is a good example of how the Internet makes it possible for rare and unique products to survive in the marketplace. When I clicked on your link to Kijijji, I saw an ad for Leica at Acklands-Grainger, which is a distributor of industrial supplies. I thought to myself that something must be wrong, but Acklands sell Leica Disto laser rangefinders, which are manufactured by Leica Geosystems, which used to be part of Leica Camera, but is now independent and uses Leica trademarks under license from Leica Microsystems GmbH. Leica Camera AG also licenses Leica trademarks from Leica Microsystems, even though all three companies are independent of each other.

Very interesting to me as well, thanks for posting!
09-22-2018, 07:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are so many threads about it you could find:
Pentax 43mm f1.9 Special for Leica Mount ?
RARE Leica Pentax 43mm f/1.9
Leica mount FA 43mm special on AU fleabay
never knew abouts the 43mm 'L special for LEICA'
Pentax 43mm limited for Leica???

So no need for a new thread.