Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me too-Vl 58

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4. Built like a tank, outstanding IQ, an exceptional lens.
The VL58mm is FF, MF, fast and very reliable.
Not a perfect lens but I love the rendering.

09-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Samyang 24mm F1.4. Bought hoping Pentax would release a wide angle prime in the not to distant future it was the lens that pulled me over the line to buy the K-1. It takes the same screw in filters I use on my DA*16-50mm so it was a cheap way to keep on shooting the wide angle landscapes I am fond of. For my kind of photography the missing autofocus is no problem at all. I used it to shoot the Northern Light in Norway to good effect en and as general landscape lens I am very satisfied with it. No weather sealing is the main draw back. It is also the only non Pentax lens I use.
09-26-2018, 04:07 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do love the Samyang fisheyes, especially the 12mm f/2.8 . However, I do treasure - as in always keeping it with me, when I go out with my camera - the far from perfect, tiny, wonderfully built Voigtländer Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5.
09-27-2018, 04:16 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My favorite 3rd party lens is the Rokinon 8mm f3.5 CS II Fisheye. It is such a fun lens to use. It has a short minimum focusing distance, which allows for close-ups but with context. It has an interesting ~stereographic projection and is remarkably sharp.

Until I got a DA 40XS, I enjoyed using a Chinon 45mm f2.8 pancake lens. Things are just easier with 40XS, but the Chinon still has kind of an old school rendering.

Another remarkable lens that I still use regularly is the Tokina SZ-X 80-200 f4.5-5.6. It is a full-frame lens and is quite small considering its focal length. The small size also makes it a good choice to adapt to my Fujifilm X-T100 mirrorless.

I will also just mention the Tamron SP AF 24-135 f3.5-5.6 which I used before getting a DA 18-135 to get a weatherproof setup. (And the 18-135 has given way to to the 16-85) The Tamron is quite a fine lens, and if I should ever go full-frame, it will become my basic lens.

09-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It seems Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses, especially SP, get a lot of love
I am not surprised, I have a few and I believe some are still very good lenses.
With the PK/A ring the ease of use and compatibility with P-TTL flash and exposure modes makes them a nice alternative to Pentax-A lenses.
The old 90mm Macro has a special place in my memories. I used the first version, all metal and with the finely knurled rubber ring, with my film cameras.
It was the first macro, and I used it a lot.
With the introduction of the Super-A with electric contacts, I bough the new adapter and continued to use the same lens with full satisfaction.
I have hundreds and hundreds of transparencies shot with that lens.
I sold it. Bought it back the second partly plastic version (52BB), then the AF version with the same optics (52E).
Never had the light spot problem with the K-1. I'm curious about the reason. Equipment related? Just chance?
09-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #66

Sigma 10-20, I have take off the UV filter when using my polarizer, but love going wide.
09-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several.
Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO version 2
Venus Laowa 15mm macro
Tamron 90mm f2.5 macro Adaptall
Spiratone 135mm f2.8

Those come to mind

09-27-2018, 05:31 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
My favorite 3rd party lens is the Rokinon 8mm f3.5 CS II Fisheye. It is such a fun lens to use. It has a short minimum focusing distance, which allows for close-ups but with context. It has an interesting ~stereographic projection and is remarkably sharp.
I have to agree with this even though my copy is labeled Bower. I think I treasure my Sigma 120-400 HSM OS more though, just for the long FL allowing better wildlife shots, and I even treasure my 10 dollar Rikenon 50mm F/2 lens. It has some cool rendering.
09-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My favorite non Pentax AF is the Sigma 17-50/2.8, it's just a solid performing workhorse. Manual focus I have an old Sigma 50/2.8 macro that I bought for $65. It had the infamous "zen coating" on the lens barrel. I did not use it for a couple of months over the winter and it fused together I was unable to focus it. In trying to disassemble it to fix it I destroyed the outer focus ring, but the lens works fine without it. I did have that Rokinon 8mm fisheye mentioned by a couple of people, great lens, just not used enough for me to keep.

The lens that that I wish I still had was the Kiron 28/F2. It was probably the sharpest lens I ever had and I stupidly sold it, thinking I could pick up an A version of the lens or of the Kiron 24/2. I have found neither, at least that I could afford or was in working condition.
09-28-2018, 02:17 AM - 1 Like   #70
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote

The lens that that I wish I still had was the Kiron 28/F2. It was probably the sharpest lens I ever had and I stupidly sold it, thinking I could pick up an A version of the lens or of the Kiron 24/2. I have found neither, at least that I could afford or was in working condition.
The two fast Kirons performed very well on film, judging from the tests published at the time by photographic magazines.
Today I guess it depends very much on the state of the single example.
I own both, unfortunately neither of them is in PKA mount.
I have the Vivitar version of both the 24mm and 28mm. The 28mm is listed as K12 in the "Vivitar 28mm bestiary" page.
Well... to be sincere I also have the Kiron version of the 28mm Still thinking if it could be considered a proper duplicate or not...
Due to financial and practical constraints I have decided to hold a kind of "flash sale" of the duplicates in my collection, around next March/April.
Before going to Ebay, the items on sale will be offered on this forum through the proper procedures.
I'd prefer to see my beloved little critters in the hand of enthusiastic pentaxians, instead of being purchased by unknown people, maybe even for resale.
Maybe it's plain silly, I know I will feel better if I believe they will be loved, and actually used, by a forum member
In case I decide to add the 28mm to the list, it will appear in the marketplace a couple of weeks before I leave for Italy.
If you are still interested, check early March.
09-28-2018, 02:31 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Their Vivitar 135/2.8 is pretty good, and their 200/3.5 is too.
Absolutely agree,

the 135

09-28-2018, 02:58 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't get me started! I have three non-Pentax lenses which have been with me since my K20D days and I can't really choose a favourite between them because they are so incredibly different. So, in no particular order:
- The Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6 for its incredible field of view with fairly limited distortion. It has great colour rendition and is pretty sharp though maybe not razor-sharp. My go-to lens for church interiors, shooting up into forest canopies and back-to-the-wall exterior shots of architecture which never seems to fit in an image because you're prevented from stepping back far enough.
- The Sigma 85mm/f1.4 for its ability to create an almost 3D feel in an image due to the thin area of precise focus. Pretty hit and miss getting it absolutely right at times. Also, once stopped down, it delivers result so sharp they could cut your fingers. Wide open, there is a fair bit of purple fringing to deal with though.
- The Tamron 90mm/f2.8 which I have in one of its first AF incarnations. The sharpness is like all of the following revisions of this lens, phenomenal, but the colour rendition on the older coatings is more to my liking.
09-28-2018, 03:09 AM - 2 Likes   #73
Veteran Member

Mmm.... maybe I'm getting too old and sentimental......... but....... for me.... some lenses are basic transactions..... others are gifted to you under special circumstances...... say a gift from a loved one.... this puts a lens a few rungs up the special ladder. Manage to grab a few great shots with it.... and then it's likely to be hard to knock off by a "transactional" lens.

Whilst probally just a competant lens, the Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM OS is this for me. I could never sell it.... at least not until after my funeral.... as it has taken my "wake" photo.

Last edited by noelpolar; 09-28-2018 at 03:27 AM.
10-12-2018, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
It seems Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses, especially SP, get a lot of love
I am not surprised, I have a few and I believe some are still very good lenses.
With the PK/A ring the ease of use and compatibility with P-TTL flash and exposure modes makes them a nice alternative to Pentax-A lenses.
The old 90mm Macro has a special place in my memories. I used the first version, all metal and with the finely knurled rubber ring, with my film cameras.
It was the first macro, and I used it a lot.
With the introduction of the Super-A with electric contacts, I bough the new adapter and continued to use the same lens with full satisfaction.
I have hundreds and hundreds of transparencies shot with that lens.
I sold it. Bought it back the second partly plastic version (52BB), then the AF version with the same optics (52E).
Never had the light spot problem with the K-1. I'm curious about the reason. Equipment related? Just chance?
I had my 52B since about 1982, passed on by a family friend. I still have it and use with the PKA adapter on my K-70. Last week I picked up the 01F 2x converter, so I am about to play around with that combination to get an effective 180mmF5.

In the same package was the Tamron Adaptall 2 SP 500mmF8 mirror lens (so its possible I will have an additional Adaptalll SP in my best third-party kit). This one is fixed aperture so I can use the old PK adapter. Another toy for the weekend!

Last edited by Gary H Perth; 10-12-2018 at 09:40 PM.
10-12-2018, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

My one and only third party PK mount. All my others are of Pentax manufacture.

I have a Sigma 150-500, which I use mostly on my K5. Works well, but you have to know how to use it. No low light situations, likes daylight..sunny best...1/1000th or better shutter speed, F 10-11...Pentax anti shake on. I always use it hand held...wild birds, wild animals..last animal..Pronghorn Buck on the open prairie running...or far away old, abandoned iron some distance away on farm or ranch land.

---------- Post added 10-13-18 at 12:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Mmm.... maybe I'm getting too old and sentimental......... but....... for me.... some lenses are basic transactions..... others are gifted to you under special circumstances...... say a gift from a loved one.... this puts a lens a few rungs up the special ladder. Manage to grab a few great shots with it.... and then it's likely to be hard to knock off by a "transactional" lens.

Whilst probally just a competant lens, the Sigma 70-200/2.8 HSM OS is this for me. I could never sell it.... at least not until after my funeral.... as it has taken my "wake" photo.
Boy I like that 'wake' picture.