Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2018, 05:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The WR in HD DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE

I just bought a new HD DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE, showed up yesterday. One of my primary use cases is shooting kids' soccer. Fairly often they play when it's a little wet out.

I'm impressed by the build quality of my new lens, but I'm curious and maybe a little skeptical about the collapsible design and how that impacts the weather resistance. Who's taken this lens out in the rain and what precautions have you taken? Anyone had any problems? I'm envisioning zooming in and out and water getting on the collapsible segments and thinking it's almost inevitable that some gets pulled inside? Am I too paranoid?

09-25-2018, 05:41 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I used mine in the rain at the Boston Marathon last year. It was pouring and although I had an umbrella for myself the camera and lens got quite a bit of spray and direct rain. Both worked fine during and after. I've used it on other occasions in rain or snow, but that marathon weather was by far the toughest.

A few suggestions for precaution:
- have the lens hood on to reduce water drops showing in the photos. Maybe have an air blower with you if it gets really wet
- try to wipe the lens barrel when retracting the zoom, if it's very wet
- after using, extend it fully and let it dry well, even if you don't see drops there might be some around the seals, and in a case or bag they'll facilitate mold growth
09-25-2018, 06:03 AM   #3
Forum Member

I also shoot my son's soccer games. I had the 55-300 PLM out in a torrential downpour one game with no covering and had absolutely no issues with getting water in the lens.

On a somewhat related not the only issue I've ever had with Pentax WR is when I went on the Hornblower at Niagara Falls and took the 18-135 out practically under the Falls. I did have a couple drops of water get inside the lens but it dried and I've had no issue otherwise.
09-25-2018, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have any concerns, why not just carry one of those camera/lens covers in case of rain?

Very cheap insurance: Rainsleeve - Camera cover for rain and snow | OP/TECH USA

09-25-2018, 07:02 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the OP [ and others ] might want to take a look at this thread:

About those WR body weather seals...User responsibility and best practice - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com
09-25-2018, 07:10 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
If you have any concerns, why not just carry one of those camera/lens covers in case of rain?

Very cheap insurance: Rainsleeve - Camera cover for rain and snow | OP/TECH USA
old school remedies still work
09-25-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I used mine in the rain at the Boston Marathon last year. It was pouring and although I had an umbrella for myself the camera and lens got quite a bit of spray and direct rain. Both worked fine during and after. I've used it on other occasions in rain or snow, but that marathon weather was by far the toughest.

A few suggestions for precaution:
- have the lens hood on to reduce water drops showing in the photos. Maybe have an air blower with you if it gets really wet
- try to wipe the lens barrel when retracting the zoom, if it's very wet
- after using, extend it fully and let it dry well, even if you don't see drops there might be some around the seals, and in a case or bag they'll facilitate mold growth
I concur with this sound advice. Although I have had this lens a short time I have the similarly built 18-135 which has been a champion in the rain. I do try to avoid pointing the lens up in the rain to keep water off the front element.

09-25-2018, 07:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leonardotmnt Quote
I also shoot my son's soccer games. I had the 55-300 PLM out in a torrential downpour one game with no covering and had absolutely no issues with getting water in the lens.
That's good to know. I've had the both the K-30 and K-3ii out in some moderate rain or snow with the 18-55mm WR kit lens with no issues. But it doesn't collapse/expand nearly to the extent that this lens does.

I also took a rented 16-85mm and my K-3ii behind Seljalandsfoss in Iceland without issue. And now that I think about it my son had the K-30 and 18-55 at the same time, again no issues.
09-25-2018, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

I understand those are Best Practices in the link above, but to me if I have to do all that there's really no benefit to having weather resistance. One of the reasons I went with Pentax is because of the WR. Technically Best Practice when raining would be to just stay indoors. ;-)